Ignition Advancer - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 11-03-2004, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Thumbs up Ignition Advancer

Ever since i started my performance mods i have been looking for adjustable ignition advancer.So far I have the sato slip w/pcusb,Gilles rearsets,factory pro v-stacks,and shift star.I'am waiting to throw on my stacks and t.r.e. but want to ad ignition advancer so if anyone knows anything fill me in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 11-03-2004, 09:52 PM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

The right way to do this, IF you want to do this, is to re-map the ECU. A plain old-fashioned advancer changes the timing by a fixed amount throughout the speed/load range, which isn't really the right solution.

If you read the documentation on the PowerCommander website, a version of the PowerCommander with adjustable ignition mapping is not available because fiddling with the ignition timing doesn't do much on modern bikes that are quite optimized right off the showroom floor. (I tend to suspect another reason it's not available because it would be too easy for people to adjust things that they shouldn't be adjusting, and blow something apart.)

This engine has a very high compression ratio in stock form. There is a big risk of detonation if the ignition timing is advanced too far. If the ignition timing is already at the best-torque point, any change to the ignition timing will result in a LOSS of power. If the ignition timing is detonation-limited, advancing it to best torque will require the use of higher-octane fuel ... and this engine already wants premium. If the ignition timing is retarded for emissions or noise reasons, this is only likely to be in the low-speed part-load range (the EPA test procedure is only under those conditions) and not at the full-load range, so no effect on power.

Methinks for normal street use, don't mess with it except maybe for the TRE. I have messed around on other bikes with ignition timing, and I really only found it useful on a non-stock carbureted bike to cover up a mid-range rich spot. The right solution would be to get the air/fuel ratio right ... with carbs, only SO much can be done; with EFI and your Power Commander, you can get it a lot closer. It's better to fix the problem at the source (wrong air/fuel ratio causing slow combustion) than to cover it up by advancing the timing ...

You could always buy the kit Kawasaki ECU for US$1700 and fiddle to your heart's content, if you insist upon it ... If you want to run high-octane "race fuel", there could be power to be found; with pump gas, I doubt there's much if you want to keep some safety margin against detonation ...

I messed around with bikes in my younger days, and I still mess with my race bike because it matters. For street bikes, I've learned why things are the way they are over the years, and I mostly leave them stock and just ride them ...

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
post #3 of 22 Old 11-04-2004, 06:57 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Last edited by Ivan; 09-10-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 11-04-2004, 10:59 AM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

That's the easy way to do it. Cost: $0, and reversible if you don't like it.

I wonder how much margin there is against detonation ... ? ? ? Will depend on the octane of the fuel you are using. Also, it will be temperature dependent ... same setting that gives no detonation with outside temperature 10 degrees C may have detonation if you are stuck in traffic with outside temperature 35 degrees C and you can't get premium fuel ...

I normally stay on the conservative side with internet recommendations, in the interest of not having people say "But you said it was OK, I tried it and melted a piston!"

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
post #5 of 22 Old 11-04-2004, 11:37 AM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan
I slotted the pick-up coil and added appx. 4 degrees of advance......The bike picked up 3 hp at peak with gains starting at 6000 rpm.

I have no detonation problems.

Ivan
Ivan

What were your findings below 6k ??

BD

Those who stir the shit pot should have to lick the spoon.
post #6 of 22 Old 11-04-2004, 12:23 PM

Posting Frequency

calirider
let us know how those velocity stacks turn out. Also, I thought I saw that factory pro is doing R&D on an ignotion advancer for the 10.
post #7 of 22 Old 11-05-2004, 06:45 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Last edited by Ivan; 09-10-2009 at 07:44 PM.
post #8 of 22 Old 11-05-2004, 12:25 PM

Posting Frequency

Ivan-I'm curious to see dynos as well, specifically in the mid. Biggest problem I'm having with my race bike is wanting it to hit softer in the mid. It just wants to light the tire off when you get back in the gas. Any suggestions?
post #9 of 22 Old 11-05-2004, 12:32 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

put a throttle limiter on it and set it @ 1/3

BD

Those who stir the shit pot should have to lick the spoon.
post #10 of 22 Old 11-05-2004, 12:37 PM

Posting Frequency

Maybe then you could keep up!!!! You have any days coming up BD?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in