I知 ditching the race dots for slicks! - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 07-24-2005, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to zrxhooligan Send a message via Yahoo to zrxhooligan
Talking I知 ditching the race dots for slicks!

I知 wondering if anyone has run Dunlop 195 slicks on the track yet? I知 planning on using them at Autobahn and would like some input.

Dose anyone have any experience with them yet? Good, bad or indifferent?

I知 going from an 180GPA dot race to the 195 slick. I know that the profile of the tire is the same but I still find it hard to believe that the 195痴 (as wide as it is) will still turn in just as fast as the 180.

My track bike has the stock Traxxioned front end and Penske rear shock so maybe some light suspension changes, like dropping the front end or raising the rear ride height will do the trick?

Last but not lest. I壇 like to keep the rear tire hugger on to keep crap off the underside of the bike and shock, but I have heard that the slick will grow a bit (height wise) and this could cause problems with the hugger. Has anyone had any success in shimming the hugger up higher or should I just live with the track crap and clean it later.

TIA

Kyle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-25-2005, 08:54 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

If you are referring to the 195/70 x 17 Dunlop, it is NOT the same profile as a 190/50 x 17 Dunlop. It is wider and much taller and requires significant change in suspension set up.

Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is already made up.
post #3 of 16 Old 07-25-2005, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to zrxhooligan Send a message via Yahoo to zrxhooligan
I guess I wasn稚 clear and should have added that my track bike is set up right now for the 208 GPA 180/55/17 Dot race tires which are significantly taller then the stock 190/50/17.

There was a bit of changing to the set up when I went from the stock 190 tires to the race 180. so much so that my track bike with the 180 makes my stock bike with the 190 feel sluggish on the turn in (which it should being a taller and smaller profile), I like the faster turn in, and that way I知 asking if there is anyone that is running the 195痴 slicks to get a head start on what way I should be going.

Thanks

Kyle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 07-25-2005, 05:07 PM
Hillbillie Mod

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to hillcountry10r
youre prolly gonna need to lower the rear.

and theres no way youre keepin the hugger on there.

Youre prolly also gonna need to make some suspension adjustments too.

For every species of beasts and birds, of reptiles and creatures of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by the human race. But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil full of deadly poison.
James 3:7,8

post #5 of 16 Old 07-26-2005, 01:40 PM

Posting Frequency

I use Metz 190/55 racetec's.....close but not the same as the bigger Dunlops. In my experience, the bike handles better with the bigger tire. You're either more or less upright or at full lean with 180/55's - the 10R is not stable during mid corner line adjustments with the smaller tire.

I agree you will need to LOWER the rear with the big Dunlop. Get rid of that spacer on the top of the rear shock (if you have OEM suspension) and expect a more stable feel, but a slower turn in. SLower is relative - it will still handle great. You also might need to lengthen the chain. And forget about the hugger. There is no way it will fit. If you insist, you might be able to fabricate some sort of spacer.
post #6 of 16 Old 07-26-2005, 02:35 PM
Ara
LE Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Ok, heres some of the math for you guys.

A 180/55 tire on a 17 inch rim has an overall diameter of 629.80mm or 24.80 inches

A 190/50 tire on a 17 inch rim has an overall diameter of 621.80mm or 24.48 inches

A 190/55 tire on a 17 inch rim has an overall diameter of 640.80mm or 25.23 inches

A 195/70 tire on a 17 inch rim has an overall diameter of 704.80mm or 27.75 inches

So as you can see, its a pretty big difference.
post #7 of 16 Old 07-26-2005, 02:38 PM
Ara
LE Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Also, generally, the higher the profile of the tire, the taller the arc of the tire surface to meet that higher profile which will promote faster turn in, and more contact patch once the bike is leaned over. That is why the 195/70 is such a massive tire but it works so well. It is tall, and has a large contact patch for lots of stability when leaned over.
post #8 of 16 Old 07-26-2005, 04:26 PM
Hillbillie Mod

Posting Frequency

Good info Ara, but only one thing you missed...

All tire profiles can be different...so a Dunlop 195/70 may be 27.75 but a Pirelli 195/75 may only be 27.50...all because of the different, steeper or lack of steepness profile.

For every species of beasts and birds, of reptiles and creatures of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by the human race. But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil full of deadly poison.

post #9 of 16 Old 07-26-2005, 04:30 PM
Ara
LE Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Technically, they should not be different, because all the numbers i came up with are by doing the simple math. Now each brand may have a different forming process which would cause differences, but generally speaking, these numbers are a universal system for tire sizing.
post #10 of 16 Old 07-26-2005, 05:17 PM
Hillbillie Mod

Posting Frequency

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ara
Technically, they should not be different, because all the numbers i came up with are by doing the simple math. Now each brand may have a different forming process which would cause differences, but generally speaking, these numbers are a universal system for tire sizing.
I think thats a good starting point, but I do think theres more to it.

I think that some tires, being the same size have better/worse turn ins...because of the different profiles.

Like if you took a peice of string, and held it stationary at both ends, you could make different degree archs with the same peice of string. Same as different tire profiles.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in