hydraulic clutch - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 06-08-2008, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

hydraulic clutch

has anyone put a hydraulic clutch onto a zx10r? and is it possible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-08-2008, 08:53 AM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

No one here has but i'm not sure if its possible.

BD

post #3 of 13 Old 06-08-2008, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

ive been doing some more looking around and believe some zx7r had a hydraulic clutch, but i dont know if they are any lighter then a cable clutch anyway!!!
my old man has an fjr1300 might just steal it of his bike!!! not sure how im going to hook it up down at the crankcase!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 06-08-2008, 12:04 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Whoa there BD, somebody here has put a hydraulic clutch on a 10R, but its not a bike!

I have a hydraulic clutch system that I use in the car and it works very well. I didn't want a cable system and wanted a normal foot pedal. I used an el-cheapo steel slave cylinder (I think from a subaru) but you could use a wilwood push/pull cylinder pretty easily I think. You only need about 1/2" of movement at the end of the clutch lever on the motor.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-08-2008, 01:59 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10rmotor View Post
Whoa there BD, somebody here has put a hydraulic clutch on a 10R, but its not a bike!

I have a hydraulic clutch system that I use in the car and it works very well. I didn't want a cable system and wanted a normal foot pedal. I used an el-cheapo steel slave cylinder (I think from a subaru) but you could use a wilwood push/pull cylinder pretty easily I think. You only need about 1/2" of movement at the end of the clutch lever on the motor.
then no one has still yet to put one on a bike so i'm still correct.

BD

post #6 of 13 Old 06-09-2008, 06:59 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Just curious why you would want a hydraulic clutch on the -10R? They are heavier systems than a cable equivolent and the feedback is generally not as good as a cable setup. Most OEM's ditched the hydraulic setups in favor of cable-operated clutches for a reason.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #7 of 13 Old 06-09-2008, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

clutch

what i meant is lighter to pull in, i have a problem with my left wrist i cant pull the clutch after riding for an hour or so!! not a real problem was just curious myself!!! i see the zx14 have a hydraulic clutch setup was looking at how it works on the crankcase, looks to much trouble to even think about doing it!!! unless you can get a unit that has push pull system on the line!! but again never seen that before. my oid man rides a fjr1300 with hydraulic clutch and its so much llighter just like using the front brake!!! but anyway thought id still look into it a bit more!!!
post #8 of 13 Old 06-09-2008, 08:00 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
Just curious why you would want a hydraulic clutch on the -10R? They are heavier systems than a cable equivolent and the feedback is generally not as good as a cable setup. Most OEM's ditched the hydraulic setups in favor of cable-operated clutches for a reason.
I figured the reason was to save money.
post #9 of 13 Old 06-09-2008, 09:16 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Hey ORR10 Leme know what you find out I too have very limited strength in my left wrist (see avatar) I have been thinking of doing that to mine too, seems a shame to jerry-rig such a perfect bike but its WAY beter than having to sell.

If you haven't gone down yet, you ain't ridin hard enough!!!
post #10 of 13 Old 06-09-2008, 06:11 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
then no one has still yet to put one on a bike so i'm still correct.

BD
He didn't specify bike, so I'm right

I think they did it to save weight, and it probably is cheaper too. No cable to bleed either.

My application is in a car, and even though hand clutch levers have been used in cars, mine was already set up with a pedal for the old zx10 which had a hydraulic system. It was relatively easy to adapt a slave cylinder to the new motor so it was a no brainer really. The clutch feel is just fine through the pedal.

I'm not sure what sort of structure is around the clutch lever so I can't say for sure how hard it would be to put a slave on the bike. I'm sure given enough time and money it could be done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in