How to is underway - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 03-13-2005, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

How to is underway

Ronyayers kicks booty...3 days and my parts were on my door after being quoted 7-10 business days.
Schnitz racing...2 days and the parts were on my door...now had I not been such a cheap ass and wanted the video (sold out) I could have paid an extra $17 and ordered everything from schnitz and I would be already degreeing the cams.

Needless to say, today the engine is coming out and the head gasket will be installed and the engine put back together with old top gasket and old side gaskets...I should have the parts no later than wednesday which is 6 business days...parts in stock coming from CA to VA.

I haven't written much of the how-to yet, just noted where things were and took some pictures...guys label everything and you can put the jig saw puzzle back together.

I will try and have something up by next weekend....much of the how to is simply following the manual...except the throttle bodies, the connectors are too hard to get to and removing the bodies first helps...and you dont need to add slack to the throttle cables just remove them at the clip-on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 03-13-2005, 11:44 AM
OG Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to stunnerific_harry
keep us posted with lots of pics please

Kip: Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
Pedro: Yes. I don't understand... they say you're not allowed to have pinatas that look like real people, but in Mexico, we do it all the time.
Pedro: Vote for me, and all your wildest dreams will come true.
post #3 of 32 Old 03-13-2005, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

that f***ing manual sucks donkey balls....you can't take the heat shield off as easy as they say....there are more connectors than they lead you to believe.

Remving the head is a joke...since they dont tell you to remove the timing cover and cam chain....when you remove the cam guides there is not instructions on which order to do them in and I guess i did it wrong and it made my life hell (start closest to the chain, I started farthest away) The head wont just come off...book says remove the top chain guide bolt...the chain guide is really wide and needs to be turned to remove the head...a lot of missing steps I will try and chronical tomorrow.

Okay, ready to reassemble once we get the motor out of the frame....still tring to make a box...I just needed a vent.

I dont have many pics since most of it is following directions, but I will write something and my pics are to show the proper cable hose routing...almost done though...8.5 hours into it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 03-13-2005, 04:40 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to Bobster Send a message via Yahoo to Bobster
Sweet, im excited also... Hurry man Hurry...lol
post #5 of 32 Old 03-13-2005, 10:55 PM
GP Rider

Location: Used to be Candler, NC/ Then HELL in Del Rio, Tx/ Now Blaine, WA
Posting Frequency

Good luck hope it goes back together easy.
post #6 of 32 Old 03-14-2005, 01:08 AM
OG Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to stunnerific_harry
yeah the easiest part is taking something apart. the hardest part is figuring why you have extra screws laying around.

Kip: Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
Pedro: Yes. I don't understand... they say you're not allowed to have pinatas that look like real people, but in Mexico, we do it all the time.
Pedro: Vote for me, and all your wildest dreams will come true.
post #7 of 32 Old 03-14-2005, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunnerific_harry
yeah the easiest part is taking something apart. the hardest part is figuring why you have extra screws laying around.
Zip-locs and duct tape each connector, even when they will only go on one way. Take notes on stupid shit. Besides the engine, I have screwed most stuff back into the nut where it belongs, bike isn't moving so I'm good. will take more time to reassemble but I know which screw goes where since sometimes they are difference lengths.

I put in 12 hours yesterday trying to get the motor out. The bottom engine mount bolt wont go, just spins in the collar. The manual says "remove bolt" So I flip to reassembly "to tighten this bolt turn it counter clockwise" Hey arseholes, be nice to tell me that beforehand, huh? Collar and nut both spin, didn't have the 1/2" to 3/8" adapter to try the impact....and I was just at harbor freight.
I have the head off since we got tired of messing with that bolt. Guys this is really easy if you dont pull the motor, so far you will see how everything aligns, but dont try anything yet.

The directions for removing the cams, suck ass, you need to remove the cam chain and the cam chain doesn't just pull off the cams like the book says (pull to the right to remove, ya right and I did have the cam chain tensioner totally remove)...you need to remove the crank sensor to remove both chain guide bolts or the chain wont come off the cams...I have it all noted and what mistakes I've made I know how to correct so you all should be able to do it in 3/4 of the time.

Last edited by BNninja; 03-14-2005 at 07:29 AM.
post #8 of 32 Old 03-14-2005, 07:29 AM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

good man

BD

Those who stir the shit pot should have to lick the spoon.
post #9 of 32 Old 03-14-2005, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

wish I could have called in sick today and waited til Ivan got to his shop to see if he can't help me...must be done by thursday or my father is out of town for 4 days...which means no help lifting engine back into frame...UGHHHHH.
post #10 of 32 Old 03-14-2005, 07:51 AM

Posting Frequency

good luck dude...looking forward to the info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in