How to setup your suspension for circuit racing - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 01-05-2006, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

How to setup your suspension for circuit racing

The following are the recommended settings for track riding that can be used as a starting point for chassis set-up. This data is based on a 132 pound rider, and settings may differ depending on track conditions, rider weight/size and riding style. These settings are recommendations only, so use them as a reference for finding your own ideal settings.

2004 MODEL YEAR
Preload- front STD:14mm; rear STD: 178mm
fork tube height- front STD: 0mm; rear --
Ride height adjustment (spacers)- Front --; rear STD: 3.2mm
Fork oil level- Front STD: 91mm; rear --
Rebound damping- Front STD: 9 clicks out; rear 2 1/4 turns out
Compression damping- front STD: 7 clicks out; rear 3 1/2 turns out

2005 MODEL YEAR
Preload- Front 16mm; rear STD: 178mm
Fork tube height- Front STD: 0mm
Ride height adjustment (spacers)- Front --; rear 0mm
Fork oil level- Front STD: 101mm; rear --
Rebound damping- Front 6 clicks out; rear STD: 1 3/4 turns out
Compression damping- Front 7 clicks out; rear STD: 3 turns out

*Note that the suspension of the 04 and 05 models are different. Using suspension settings for the incorrect year may result in a set-up with less than desireable handling characteristics.

Lowered front, raised rear set-up
Initial turn-in is improved but rear wheel traction is reduced. If the front is lowered too much, the bike will tend to oversteer, making it difficult to make a proper corner exit.

Lowered rear, raised front set-up
Initial turn-in is worse and it is difficult to hold an inside line, but rear wheel traction is good. Cornering performance from mid-corner to corner-exit may be better in some cases.

Note 1: If the fork tube height is more than 5mm above the steering head, the chassis stance will be significantly changed and may have a large influence on handling qualities. When determining the appropriate setting, it is best to change the fork tube height in small increments.

Note 2: Brake feel will change depending on fork oil level. If the oil level is too high, excessive loads will be placed on the tire, which can adversely effect brake feel. If this occurs, try lowering the oil level.

Note 3: To adjust the rear ride height, the spacers available in the race kit will be needed. If the rear ride height is raised more than 5mm over standard, the chassis attitude will be significantly changed and may have a large influence on handling. So it is best to select the appropriate rear ride height by making adjustment in small increments. If the ride height is raised too much, the initial action of the rear suspension may be softer, and while this may not affect corner entrance, it may caise the rear end to sag excessively in mid-corner or when exiting turns. If this occurs, increase the rear preload. Generally, if the rear ride height is increased by 1mm, the preload should also be increased 1mm.

I live my life a quarter-pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, im free. I need FRIESSSS! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didnt blow a seam on your nugget box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-05-2006, 05:45 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Skype™ to lavudyar
Uh - who here weighs 132lbs?

Ray D
Never pet a burning dog.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-05-2006, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

I live my life a quarter-pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, im free. I need FRIESSSS! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didnt blow a seam on your nugget box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-05-2006, 06:00 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

How about if you weight 180lbs geared!

"Lead, Follow, or get the hell outta my way!!"

Blue 2004 ZX-10R
- 152.5rwhp 77.6rwtq - more than I need

Red 2003 Jack ROUSH Classic #8 of 50
- 375rwhp 381rwtq
post #5 of 12 Old 01-05-2006, 06:06 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Skype™ to lavudyar
I'm trying to remember the last time I weighed 180 naked, let alone geared!

Ray D
Never pet a burning dog.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-05-2006, 09:51 PM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

Sheesh, I weigh the better part of twice that!

For the 2004 model, most of the settings are the standard; what's with that?? Although I'm not track-riding this bike, there's no way the standard settings would be what I would want - too stiff, and that's with my fat arse on the bike. The top-level racers that I'm aware of that rode this bike, all changed to aftermarket shock, plus different springs and Ohlins valving in the forks (mandatory to keep the external part of the forks stock according to rulebook for this series, but the internals can be changed). The stock components aren't valved correctly for racing conditions.

I agree totally with their subjective comments on the direction and effect of ride-height adjustments on chassis attitude, though.

I'd like to know where this came from.

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
post #7 of 12 Old 01-05-2006, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster
I'd like to know where this came from.
I have friends on the inside.

post #8 of 12 Old 01-05-2006, 10:53 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

can your friends add 50lbs to themselves and then give you the inside scoop!

"Lead, Follow, or get the hell outta my way!!"

Blue 2004 ZX-10R
- 152.5rwhp 77.6rwtq - more than I need

Red 2003 Jack ROUSH Classic #8 of 50
- 375rwhp 381rwtq
post #9 of 12 Old 01-05-2006, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Its not like that. This is info straight from KHI. I have more info, but it looks like my info is no good. Sorry for the useless post.

post #10 of 12 Old 01-06-2006, 11:37 AM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

With most bikes, INCLUDING this one, the correct way to set up the stock suspension for circuit racing is to chuck out as much of the stock suspension as the rules will allow, and install different stuff that's valved correctly and with the proper spring rates!

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in