How To: Remove Air Valve With Out FI Light 08-11 zx10r's - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 12-19-2010, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Speed Freak

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to garth285
How To: Remove Air Valve With Out FI Light 08-11 zx10r's

Hey guys and gals, was p at 4:30am today to drive someone to the airport but after I got home I didnt feel like sleeping so I went out to the garage. Since the last time I was under the tank of my bike I blocked off the Air valve that lets fresh air enter the exhaust stream (which is for emission purposes) Well I tried to just leave the air valve unplugged but the bike seems to set a FI light and from what I found online this is the same for any 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011 zx10r.

So after doing some more research I found that the suzuki guys came up with a very simple soultion to removing this air valve which takes up space and some weight (maybe a few ounces?) The Air valve calls for 20-24 Ohms in the service manual so a simple solution would be to run a 20 ohm 10 watt resistor in place of this valve. The problem I ran into was that radio shack only sold 10 ohm 10 watt resistors, they are $1.99 for a 2 pack so what you can do is run the resistors in series to double the resistance.... simple enough?

Below is the steps I did to install this. You can obviously use your own imagination if you wish to do this a different way, I Thought I would just share this with you guys.

Hers a pic of the air valve, once unplugged its sorta pesky to keep unter the airbox and really not needed since nothing is there...

Here is a picture of the resistors, 2 10 ohm's ran in series to create 20 ohms resistance, I just twisted the ends togehter and bent it back over the ceramic body and tapped it up

air valve next to resistor

I then pushed the other sides of the resistor into the plug and bent the resistor to the side, I had to trip a tiny bit of the plug side wires but it fit perfectly on the side

Next I taped the resistor to the plug nice and snug and tucked it away, pic of the plug taped and picture of plug next to air valve to show size difference.

Well there you have it, the plug will see 20 ohms resistance and you will not have a FI light on your bike being set for Air valve gone.

Costs $2 dollars for the resistors at radio shack and takes maybe 30 min's to pop off the tank and air box to do this.

Enjoy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 12-19-2010, 10:33 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

good to know. it looks kinda ugly though. do you think it really needs those powerful resistors? couldnt you use something smaller? im not sure whats in that valve. is there some kind of a coil inside?
post #3 of 35 Old 12-19-2010, 10:36 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Did you try to just connect the 2 wires together without the resistors? Thats all you have to do on the 08-10's, no need for resistors........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 12-19-2010, 10:54 AM
MIA Post Whore

Posting Frequency

I'd suggest multiple layers of heat shrink over tape. Electric tape will become goo if those resistors take any heat. ...but if the above post is true about a resistor not being needed, then they'll likely never get warm. Having the resistors there is cheep insurance to not damage the ECU, I'd leave them and not chance it.
post #5 of 35 Old 12-19-2010, 11:18 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to 131 Send a message via Skype™ to 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by miykl View Post
I'd suggest multiple layers of heat shrink over tape. Electric tape will become goo if those resistors take any heat. ...but if the above post is true about a resistor not being needed, then they'll likely never get warm. Having the resistors there is cheep insurance to not damage the ECU, I'd leave them and not chance it.
Indeed!
post #6 of 35 Old 12-19-2010, 12:27 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

No resistors needed for 08-10, I know countless guys who have jumped the terminals with wire or even a paper clip and have had no problems.
post #7 of 35 Old 12-19-2010, 12:33 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Skype™ to Bandana
Hi Shaun

Tx for the share

Maybe I can help to explain why 10 Watts resistors are needed.

Power = Current 2 * Resistance

Current = Voltage / Resistance

Therefore Voltage 12 / coil 20 = 0.6 Amps ( 600 mA )current
Power = 0.6*0.6*20= 7.2 Watts so power resistance that is required should be 7.2 W you say , but...

The voltage during high revs normally increases and goes up to a max if I am correct to 13.8 Volts so....

one has to calculate the MAX power required at that voltage. follow first steps again and you will obtain the following.

Current = 13.8 /20 = 0.69 Amps this time.

Power = 0.69 * 0.69 * 20 = 9.52 Watts, so that is why Garth used 10 watts resistors, correct Shaun.

Hope this helped why you need 10 watts resistors.

Best regards Jo
post #8 of 35 Old 12-19-2010, 12:55 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandana View Post
Hi Shaun

Tx for the share

Maybe I can help to explain why 10 Watts resistors are needed.

Power = Current 2 * Resistance

Current = Voltage / Resistance

Therefore Voltage 12 / coil 20 = 0.6 Amps ( 600 mA )current
Power = 0.6*0.6*20= 7.2 Watts so power resistance that is required should be 7.2 W you say , but...

The voltage during high revs normally increases and goes up to a max if I am correct to 13.8 Volts so....

one has to calculate the MAX power required at that voltage. follow first steps again and you will obtain the following.

Current = 13.8 /20 = 0.69 Amps this time.

Power = 0.69 * 0.69 * 20 = 9.52 Watts, so that is why Garth used 10 watts resistors, correct Shaun.

Hope this helped why you need 10 watts resistors.

Best regards Jo
makes sense. you, however, are running under the assumption that the voltage supplied to this valve is the same as that of the battery/charging system, which may or may not be the case. did somebody measure it?
post #9 of 35 Old 12-19-2010, 01:04 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Skype™ to Bandana
Quote:
Originally Posted by mityaz View Post
makes sense. you, however, are running under the assumption that the voltage supplied to this valve is the same as that of the battery/charging system, which may or may not be the case. did somebody measure it?
Hi Mityaz nice to know you.

No from my side I did not had ever the reason to measure for this application, but by all other measures taken on different applications still if it is an analogue Voltage ( that is variable supply voltage which I doubt it is ) still would go up to the peak mentioned voltage.

But yes I would like to have a clear answer if Shaun has measured it, somhting more to learn

regards Jo
post #10 of 35 Old 12-19-2010, 01:13 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

well all that is nice. Wow how we like to get technical :^). all i did on my 08 was place a blockage into the hose coming from the air filter then just put the hose back on. Result, no air enters the exhaust, still looks stock, no hose cutting,and no FI lite. I just like the K.I.S.S method
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in