How To: R&G Frame Sliders W/Pics - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 03-16-2010, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

How To: R&G Frame Sliders W/Pics

So I set out to install the frame sliders myself rather than pay a shop $$$ to do it. Never done it before and by no means am I a mechanic. I do have basic skillz in using tools and do most basic stuff myself when I can. Only thing needed I didn't have was a keyhole saw so I borrowed a 29mm from a friend and set out on my mission. Took all of about 30 minutes and was easy following the included, well written, instructions.

The kit upon arrival, includes marking tool for cutting the hole as well as a replacement water bottle with bigger hole;

First was the right side (sitting on bike), remove three bolts holding the triangle shaped fairing. This is how it looks after;

Next remove the middle motor mount with the hole in it and install marking tool to stick out a little past the fairing brace;

Put the fairing piece back on with all three screws as if you were riding then tap with you palm to indent the inside with the point from the marking tool. Remove the fairing, and drill pilot hole in indentation. I masked the whole fairing piece to protect it while drilling, once the pilot hole is drilled use the keyhole saw to cut the hole. Instructions call for a 28mm hole, but I used the 29mm just to have a little extra room. Hold the fairing to where you are cutting the hole straight through and not angled. Once the hole is cut remove the marking tool and reinstall fairing piece;

Now as per instructions use longer bolt with washer, insert into slider, then grab the shorter of the two spacers. The cut out portion of the spacer will face the bike to slide over the castelator nut (don't know what that is for but you'll see it). Insert through hole in fairing and bolt up tight, I would use a little blue loctite for strength. Walah! Right side done;

LEFT SIDE
Same thing, remove fairing piece and you'll be looking at the water bottle;

Remove two bolts holding bottle and disconnect two hoses (careful or the fluid will drain out. I poured the fluid into a pitcher to be re-used, you also have to reuse the rubber & metal bolt spacer from the oem bottle. Oem & replacement bottle comparo, note the bigger hole on the R&G bottle for the slider to go through, do not install new bottle yet,

Once that is out of the way remove the motor mount bolt and install the marking tool;

Same drill as on right side, mark inside of fairing, masking, drill pilot hole, cut 29mm hole. Now install R&G bottle, attach hoses, and refill with fluid. Re-install fairing piece and use the remaining bolt (shorter), washer, and spacer (longer) to install the frame slider.

Done & save money that can go toward the pipe. WooHoo!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-16-2010, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Oops, this is on a '09 10R, but will work on 08+.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-16-2010, 10:10 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

PS- you're not going fast enough if the R&G stickers dont fly off the caps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-16-2010, 03:18 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Price for the kit? thanks for the DIY.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-16-2010, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

It was like $130 shipped from motomummy.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in