Gen 1: 2004-2005 How to gut a micron can - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 08-27-2012, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

How to gut a micron can

Well, I was going to post this in the "how to", but understandably, I'm still too much of a noob for clearance. This may not have even been worthy considering how easy it really is compared to some other's instructional posts. On to the meat.

I looked out the door at my bike and thought, screw it, let's gut that slip on and see what it sounds like. While fairly impulsive and with almost no logical reason, I did at least remember to take pictures, and even busted out a decibel meter for before and afters.

Time required: 15min.
Tools required: 4mm&6mm Allen (long shaft t-handle preferred) & adjustable wrench.

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS DONE AT YOUR OWN RISK. I ASSUME NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR DAMAGED PARTS, PISSED OFF WIVES/NEIGHBORS, OR NOISE VIOLATIONS. I MAKE NO CLAIMS OF LEGALITY. THIS WAS FOR MY ENTERTAINMENT.

All sound pressure levels assumed to be measured in dB, at a distance of 1 yard from the source. Readings were taken 3 times and averaged for both before and after. Engine speed was "warmed up idle", as I lacked the planning and resources to duplicate engine load and speed on the road/dyno.

I removed my slip on assembly so I could sit at the kitchen table with it.

I located the single 4mm Allen bolt inside the tail end. It was slightly corroded, but better than I expected. It's also a little ways in, hence the need for longer Allen wrenches. Expect a little resistance.

Believe it or not, the physically challenging part is done. Now to wiggle the end cap free. It's slip fit into the baffle inside. I suspect having the can warm helped this.

The shell and deadener should slide free of the ported baffle tube with minimal resistance. This leaves the material inside the shell. This is the messy part. Mine was a bit fouled, probably running too rich in most Rs from the previous owner's PC3 tuning, and my decibel testing at idle.

And finally, pull out the wad of nastiness. Mine had a little bit of double sided tape inside. Again, minimal effort yielded favorable results.

Assembly is the reverse of disassembly. Actually I F'in hate it when manuals say that, it rarely goes that easily. This time however, it really was that easy. Slip the rubber grommets back on the ends of the shell. Slide the shell on to the ported baffle end. Slip the end cap back on, and line up the bolt. Make sure to use just a dab of thead lock if you worry about things vibrating apart. Also make sure that the shell is firmly held in place between the end caps. The bolt may feel snug, but it could just be corrosion from being inside the exhaust.

Before dB: Avg. peak of 91dB
After dB: Avg. peak of 103dB
Significant change in pitch was noted. A slight blip of the throttle yielded a much more aggressive sound.

Unfortunately, by the time you've read this, you could have already done your own. I hope you've enjoyed the read as much as I enjoyed doing it.

Jerod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-30-2012, 11:25 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
what exactly did you do that made an increase in the sound level?
post #3 of 7 Old 08-30-2012, 03:22 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

enjoy getting pulled over for that

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmon012 View Post
what exactly did you do that made an increase in the sound level?
he pulled the packing out of it, thats it

Last edited by nakedinseattle; 08-30-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 08-30-2012, 05:51 PM
Chickenstrip Eater

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to SUPER K
Empty cans sound like ass, more like a cat in heat. Did a friends Micron for him and it sounded horrible. Good luck.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o45/josh10r/IMG_0144-1-1-1.jpg
Sent from your mom's IPhone using dirty fingers
post #5 of 7 Old 09-03-2012, 08:29 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
i was under the impression he put the packing back in my mistake
post #6 of 7 Old 09-05-2012, 04:12 AM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Oh guys, let him be. He is sharing something he did for his bike. I have an akra muffler that is chopped down and has no packing. I have yet to hear anyone, Kawi, Yami, Honda or Zuk riders to say it sounds like ass. Ive also never gotten pulled over for it or had anyone tell me its annoying or really loud.

08 ZX6R Radial M/C ZG Sport Touring Windscreen CBR600RR Calipers BMC Street Filter
GP Shift Pattern DIY Mod Fender Eliminator Kit 16/44 Gearing Euro Flushmount Signals
Gauge Cluster Color DIY ModSoupy's Fully Adjustable Lowering Links HEL Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
post #7 of 7 Old 09-11-2012, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubDude View Post
What you have done is the equivalent to what every jerkoff Harley rider does to their bike. Kudos. You are now an attention whore.
Thanks for the constructive criticism. I'm just glad to see that you've read my post with an open mind, and judged me based on the good intentions of what I chose to share.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in