How to on fork seal - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 09-05-2007, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Smile How to on fork seal

anyone have a how to on replacing fork seals and what is needed. Thanks for the help in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-05-2007, 08:41 PM
Chickenstrip Eater

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to SUPER K
Take it to a good shop unless you have or want to invest in special, job specific tools. Believe me. I learned the hard way.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o45/josh10r/IMG_0144-1-1-1.jpg
Sent from your mom's IPhone using dirty fingers
post #3 of 10 Old 09-05-2007, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I read a lot of other posts that said you didnt need the tools. I could have miss read it but that is basically what every fork seal thread is on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 09-05-2007, 08:48 PM
Chickenstrip Eater

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to SUPER K
OK. I'm trying to save you some frustration and damaged parts. Do any of those threads give a how to? Doubt it.You'll need a seal driver which ya can improvise and you'll need a cartridge fork tool which is a very necesary tool that's not easily duplicated with duct tape and bailing wire.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o45/josh10r/IMG_0144-1-1-1.jpg
Sent from your mom's IPhone using dirty fingers
post #5 of 10 Old 09-06-2007, 12:54 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Dido, not worth the frustration. This is one job, that unless you have the right tools, don't attempt. A decent shop will charge you under $200.00 to replace the seals. Not bad really. Buy the type/kind of seals you want and take to shop. Parts are cheap at least. Labor is the only real cost. Peace

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

2006 ZX10R (Black)
post #6 of 10 Old 09-06-2007, 12:57 AM
Retired post whore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPER K View Post
OK. I'm trying to save you some frustration and damaged parts. Do any of those threads give a how to? Doubt it.You'll need a seal driver which ya can improvise and you'll need a cartridge fork tool which is a very necesary tool that's not easily duplicated with duct tape and bailing wire.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmond Burke (1729-1797)
post #7 of 10 Old 09-06-2007, 04:16 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

take it to the shop
post #8 of 10 Old 09-06-2007, 04:47 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Ok Calvin. I'll give you the answer you want to hear...

To do your fork seals you are going to NEED about $200 worth of special tools. That is a fact. you are also going to NEED about $25-$35 worth of parts. You are also going to NEED a copy of the shop manual.

I just had my seals redone a couple of months ago. I took the forks OFF THE BIKE and took them in, where they sat behind the parts counter for nearly 2 weeks before they shop guys got around to them. So 2 weeks and i think $250 later, I had my fork seals replaced, and my fork caps fucked up where they opened them with a crescent wrench or Gator-grip or some damn thing.... That will not happen again.

Next time, I will order $250 worth of parts and tools and do the damn seals myself, not have to wait on a shop, know they are done right, and have new tools AND new seals when i am done. So the NEXT time I need them done, I will only have to pay for the seals.... you follow me?

NO it's not a hard job to do.....IF you have the right tools and you are mechanically inclined and can follow directions. If this does not describe you... I would just take it to the shop.

Proper lubrication is the solution to 90% of life's problems.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-06-2007, 09:37 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

You can do it with out special tools.... There is a way, I do them in my garage with just standard tools....

But if your not a mechanic I would suggest taking them some where, even the way I do them may be a little difficult if your not really careful at what your doing....

There is a few short cuts you can take and it makes it simple, well I think so, but i'm a mechanic.... Every time I try to explain something, people say its to difficult....

“Accept the challenges so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory.” --General George S. Patton
post #10 of 10 Old 09-09-2007, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey View Post
Ok Calvin. I'll give you the answer you want to hear...

To do your fork seals you are going to NEED about $200 worth of special tools. That is a fact. you are also going to NEED about $25-$35 worth of parts. You are also going to NEED a copy of the shop manual.

I just had my seals redone a couple of months ago. I took the forks OFF THE BIKE and took them in, where they sat behind the parts counter for nearly 2 weeks before they shop guys got around to them. So 2 weeks and i think $250 later, I had my fork seals replaced, and my fork caps fucked up where they opened them with a crescent wrench or Gator-grip or some damn thing.... That will not happen again.

Next time, I will order $250 worth of parts and tools and do the damn seals myself, not have to wait on a shop, know they are done right, and have new tools AND new seals when i am done. So the NEXT time I need them done, I will only have to pay for the seals.... you follow me?

NO it's not a hard job to do.....IF you have the right tools and you are mechanically inclined and can follow directions. If this does not describe you... I would just take it to the shop.
Heres the thing. I went to a kawi shop and asked them they said $230 PLUS parts. So i figure if i spend 150-200 on the tools and get it done myself when one of my friends need theres done i could help them out for a small fee. I actually thought of just buying a secound set of forks off ebay as the pair i was biiding on went for $180 shipped so. I guess i will just look around and see if i can find someone to do it a little cheaper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in