HOW TO: Dzus Fasteners In OEM Bodywork - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 Old 12-20-2008, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
La Flama Blanca

Posting Frequency

HOW TO: Dzus Fasteners In OEM Bodywork

I had brought a old thread about Dzus type fasteners in OEM bodywork to the top last week or so when I installed a 10 piece kit in my 04, the 04 was pretty strait foreward, but a few wanted some install pics, so I bought up another set for my 06, and am gonna take you though the install. The 06-07 is a little bit more involved and involves slight modifying of a few of the panels.

I purchased the kits for OEM bodywork from http://kurveygirl.com/shop/product_i...products_id=75

For the 04-05 you will need a 10 piece kit for the 06-07 you will need 14 pieces.
You will need the kits for OEM bodywork, as the race kit Dzus are shorter and will not reach through the thicker plastic. You could choose to replace just the lower fasteners if you wanted as well, you would then need only 4 for the 04-05 and 6 for the 06-07. They also come in black or silver.

For the "how to" I am only going to cover the 06-07 instalation, as the 04-05 is much easier and is pretty strait foreward.

First off remove your lower (two pieces) and the side mid fairings and the two black textured inner fairings. Remove all the rubber well nuts from the 14 fasteners you are converting to Dzus.

On the lowers there are no modifications that are required to instal the Dzus retaining clips on the fairings, just remove the well nuts and line the clips up and install them.

Install the three Dzus fasteners in each side fairing that will connect to the lowers, by slightly enlarging the holes that the screws went through, with a carpenter knife, by lightly twisting the knife in circles till the hole is enlarged enough for the Dzus to fit through. You could possible use a drill bit or a dremel to do this , but I thought it was best to keep power tools out of the equation as you want to make sure you don't enlarge the holes too much, I made them just big enough that the dzus could just barely fit through, and actually snaped in. * Another great idea to enlarge the holes would be to use a small round file* (great tip) You will use one plastic washer on the front and one on the back of the dzus. All three of both sides will remain captive to the side fairings. You could remove some of the fairing alignment tabs if you chose, but all will still work, I chose to leave as much as I possibly could in case I ever went back to stock screws. Thats pretty much all there is to the lowers, just make sure all your retainer plates are lined up and test fit, then remove the lowers and set them aside and we will do both mid fairings.

I chose to work on them one at a time, but they are mirror images so I will only cover one.

These are a little tricky and some may wish to stop with just the lowers, and that would be cool. First off remove the side fairing and the textured inner panel on top of the side fairing

Lets start with that textured inner fairing, the second hole will have a well nut in it, remove it and install one retainer clip in it, no modding of the panel involved. The rear well nut for that panel is through a steel bracket, remove that and install the other clip in this bracket. You may have to slightly bend the retainer clip recepticle on this clips as you have two plastic fairings that will go on top of this clip.

Now that you have the side fairing completely removed, enlarge the two holes that would attach to the clips you just installed and install the Dzus in those holes like you did on the previous panel. Both of these Dzus will remain captive as well.

There should be two holes left yet to attack, and they are where it gets kind of tricky, they are the two screws that connect the upper to the mid fairing, install the retainer clips in the midfairing by removing the well nuts and the front hole you can slide the clip right on, the rear hole you will have to modify the fairing, by removing part of the alignment tab recepticle as shown in the pictures. That covers the modifications to the side fairing, set it aside for a while and we will cover installing those last two dzus in the upper fairing.

The back hole on the upper is pretty easy, just enlarge the hole and install the dzus, with the two plastic retaining washers, the front is where it gets tricky, start by enlarging the hole, then you will need to modify the tab that mounts the headlight to the upper fairing on the inside, You will need to do this as there is not enough clearance on the inside of the fairing (front hole) for the retaining clip to allow the panel to line up properly.

Remove the phillips head screw that attaches the headlight mounting tab to the upper fairing. This will give you a little play to get in there and trim this tab away. What you are gonna want to do is trim off the edge of the tab, and clearance enough for the retaining clip to slip up in there once the side fairing is back installed. You can clearley see the issue, when test fitting the side fairing with the top black texture fairing off. And the pics should make it pretty apparent what you need to do to the tab. I used a razor blade to trim and round the tab down then a little piece of sand paper to smooth it out, it is pretty soft plastic so not that hard, but be careful not to slip and cut the tab too much or cut the inside of the fairing. Once you get everything trimmed test fit it a few times and make sure you have everything satisfactory aligned. Install the one phillips head screw back in the headlight, holding the tab you modded back to the upper.

The front screw hole in the upper should be enlarged to allow the Dzus to fit, this Dzus cannot be made captive due to the tight clearance on the back side, so make the hole just a tad bit bigger to allow easy removal and instalation of the dzus.

The other side is identical to this, same tab on the headlight has to be modified to fit the Fwd screw hole retaining clip. That should pretty much cover it, make sure you test fit multiple times when installing, some of the tabs on the upper could be trimmed as well, but I made mine work with them, although it is slightly more dificult to install and remove the panels, but thats up to you.

I will post the pics now and explain what they are as I show them.

The first couple of pics just show what the retaining clips look like installed on the black lowers, they fit really tight and once installed they are not going anywhere easily.

The next pic shows the enlarging of the holes that the dzus will fit through ,I chose to use a carpenter knife and turn it in a circle gradually increasing the size of the hole, you do not have to enlarge them very much at all, and you could go back to screws and no one would ever know. If you get them just large enough the dzus actually snap though the hole and helps them remain captive. You could get the drill or the dremel out for this step, but I kept it manual. *MagicMavis provided a great idea of using a small round file for the holes if you have one handy*

The next few pics show the dzus installed in the side fairing, and from the backside as well showing the retaining washer

The next pic shows the side fairing tab that has to be modified for the retaining clip to fit, it does not effect how the black textured panel fits to it.
This is after I modified the tab, I wish I had taken a pic with the clip installed

The next picture shows the phillips head screw that needs to be removed and the tab for the headlight that needs to be trimmed and clearanced for the front dzus retaining clip to fit the upper to the mid fairing.

A few pics of everything going back together, with the Dzus installed and stowed.

Hopefully this is not too confusing, the 04-05 is much simpler with no modifying of any fairings besides the slight enlargement of the holes.

"Now, I am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Last edited by 9R to 10R; 12-26-2008 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Adding MagicMavis round file tip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 12-21-2008, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
La Flama Blanca

Posting Frequency

Here is the finshed product on the 04 if you missed it in the other post.

post #3 of 46 Old 12-21-2008, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
La Flama Blanca

Posting Frequency

Fished Product pics for the 06

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 Old 12-21-2008, 12:27 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Very nice and functional!!!
post #5 of 46 Old 12-21-2008, 12:34 PM
Postwhore with an 04

Posting Frequency

Looks sweet!! I thought about picking these up for the lower since it comes off a lot more often then the rest.
post #6 of 46 Old 12-21-2008, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
La Flama Blanca

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcm0018 View Post
Looks sweet!! I thought about picking these up for the lower since it comes off a lot more often then the rest.

If you are just gonna do the lower, on your 04 you will only need the 4 piece kit. It'd make life alot easier

post #7 of 46 Old 12-21-2008, 01:51 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Good thread.

1976 250 Elsinore Sold
1997 600R Sold
1976 KZ 900 Sold
2003 1500 Meanstreak Sold
2006 DL 650 Sold
2002 919 Hornet Sold
2004 ZX-10R
post #8 of 46 Old 12-21-2008, 03:03 PM
Custom Powder Coater

Posting Frequency

Nice i need to get some cause my well nuts are dry rotted and falling apart.
Nice write up 9r to 10r

www.sportbikepc.com
Sport Bike Powder Coating,LLC
Custom Powder Coating & Authorized Dealer for:
ASV Levers,Brocks Performance,Carrozzeria Wheels,Core Moto Brake Lines, EarthX Batteries,Sato Racing, SuperSprox..
PM or [email protected] for pricing..
post #9 of 46 Old 12-21-2008, 03:12 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Where's the best place to order the fasteners?
post #10 of 46 Old 12-21-2008, 03:17 PM
Custom Powder Coater

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by logmaster View Post
Where's the best place to order the fasteners?
i just opened a account with them but maybe the sponsors can get a better price cost $46.50 shipped for 14 (06-07)
If your gonna check the sponsors i will wait to see what they offer.

http://kurveygirl.com/shop/product_i...products_id=75

www.sportbikepc.com
Sport Bike Powder Coating,LLC
Custom Powder Coating & Authorized Dealer for:
ASV Levers,Brocks Performance,Carrozzeria Wheels,Core Moto Brake Lines, EarthX Batteries,Sato Racing, SuperSprox..
PM or [email protected] for pricing..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in