Gen 1: 2004-2005 How do i wire a streetfighter headlight??? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 04-10-2015, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Cool How do i wire a streetfighter headlight???

Hey guys! Long time no post, lol.
So, Im finally legal again after a long hard year and working on putting my ol girl back together.
Most of the tough stuff is done:
Pulsor cover oil and new filter, Right side rear set, rear peg, passenger seat.
Ignition Im hoping to get in tomorrow (Waiting on a buddy's dremel to cut a slit in the safety anti theft bolts to accomodate a flat head driver).
So, I bought an after market "Streetfighter" style headlight to replace my busted up stock lens...but the wiring "Plug" on the new piece def doesnt fit the old headlamps "Plug".
So, I'm a little lost as to how to wire it up???
I looked up the headlight wiring harness diagram but I'm a little out of my depth here.
Can anyone help please!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-10-2015, 05:36 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to caboose
Did the aftermarket headlight come with a diagram to tell you which wire does what?

Basically you'll have a power wire for low beam, another power wire for high beam and a ground wire (maybe two ground wires). If the wiring diagram is a bit too much for you to handle you can probe the connector on your bike with a test light or multi meter to figure out which wire does what.

Then match those up with the wires on the headlight. You could either cut and solder together or get some matching connectors an install those.

Out of curiosity which headlight did you buy? I have an FZ1 streetfighter project on the go an I'm looking for a headlight.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-10-2015, 08:15 AM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

If the replacement headlight has a 3-prong plug, you are going to have a problem, because the replacement headlight uses a dual-filament bulb (both high and low beam on the same bulb). The high beam has to switch off when low beam is selected when using that type of bulb to avoid blowing the bulb in a very short time on high beam. (A second at a time when using a "flash to pass" is OK but constant high beam operation will overheat the bulb.) The ZX10R's electrical system is not designed to do that.

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-10-2015, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by caboose View Post
Did the aftermarket headlight come with a diagram to tell you which wire does what?

Basically you'll have a power wire for low beam, another power wire for high beam and a ground wire (maybe two ground wires). If the wiring diagram is a bit too much for you to handle you can probe the connector on your bike with a test light or multi meter to figure out which wire does what.

Then match those up with the wires on the headlight. You could either cut and solder together or get some matching connectors an install those.

Out of curiosity which headlight did you buy? I have an FZ1 streetfighter project on the go an I'm looking for a headlight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
If the replacement headlight has a 3-prong plug, you are going to have a problem, because the replacement headlight uses a dual-filament bulb (both high and low beam on the same bulb). The high beam has to switch off when low beam is selected when using that type of bulb to avoid blowing the bulb in a very short time on high beam. (A second at a time when using a "flash to pass" is OK but constant high beam operation will overheat the bulb.) The ZX10R's electrical system is not designed to do that.
Thanx for the quick replies guys!
I'd love to post a pic but I'm really pressed for time this morning and wanted to respond asap.
I believe the light is an "Optimus".
As for the "Plug" It looks like 5 prong (5 wires into the plug).
They are black, blue, white, yellow and green.
I have no clue which 5 to wire into on my harness though???
I'll have a better look at my harness later, but I'm pretty sure the headlight wires are located right near the "Ignition/cluster" wiring right?
And, no diagram was supplied.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-10-2015, 06:54 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Do you have a multimeter?
post #6 of 10 Old 04-11-2015, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Cool

Quote:
Do you have a multimeter?
I do.
My biggest issue is discerning which wires are the headlight specific wires on my harness because I honestly dont remember? lol
post #7 of 10 Old 04-11-2015, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

And then matching those wires to the 5 coming out of the new headlight.
I have Black (Ground) Green yellow blue and white as well.
This is the light...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121605705783...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
post #8 of 10 Old 04-12-2015, 07:04 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

It looks like that Optimus headlight has two small amber running lights, high beam and low beam. The first thing to check would be if those headlights are set up as one high beam bulb and one low beam bulb or is it two dual filament bulbs? If it has two dual filament bulbs you will have a problem as Brian posted above. You might have to give up your high beam.

Did you try contacting the ebay seller asking for information?

I'd imagine that black is common ground. If you measure resistance between the black wire and any other wire on the headlight you should get a reading. Measuring between any other two wires would be an open circuit. That will confirm that black is the ground.

Then the easiest way to check after that would be to get some wiring pigtails an connect the black directly to battery ground then connect another wire to green and battery positive (then do the same for yellow, blue and white) and see which light turns on. Then write down the results.

You can probe the bike harness in a similar way.

First confirm a ground.
Then turn the ignition on, only the running lights will have power.
Then start the bike with only low beam on, low beam will have power.
Then turn on high beam, high beam will have power.
Write down your results then match up the wiring.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-14-2015, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Cool

Quote:
It looks like that Optimus headlight has two small amber running lights, high beam and low beam. The first thing to check would be if those headlights are set up as one high beam bulb and one low beam bulb or is it two dual filament bulbs? If it has two dual filament bulbs you will have a problem as Brian posted above. You might have to give up your high beam.

Did you try contacting the ebay seller asking for information?

I'd imagine that black is common ground. If you measure resistance between the black wire and any other wire on the headlight you should get a reading. Measuring between any other two wires would be an open circuit. That will confirm that black is the ground.

Then the easiest way to check after that would be to get some wiring pigtails an connect the black directly to battery ground then connect another wire to green and battery positive (then do the same for yellow, blue and white) and see which light turns on. Then write down the results.

You can probe the bike harness in a similar way.

First confirm a ground.
Then turn the ignition on, only the running lights will have power.
Then start the bike with only low beam on, low beam will have power.
Then turn on high beam, high beam will have power.
Write down your results then match up the wiring.
Ok, I'm still suffereing over this nightmare guys.
Biggest problem is that I cut the old stock headlight out of the harness (And I really dont remember why but it must have been simplicity for the sale).
So...What I'm left with (And this is between the cluster and the plug) 6 open or cut wires (3 on each side) green red grey, and green brown grey.
I'm 99% sure this is where the headlight came from.
I'd be more than happy to text pics is that helps btw (I'm desperate and really don't want to pay a mechanic an hour or more to figure this out).
From the Optimus headlight I'm trying to utilize I've got green white blue black yellow.
On the 2 middle bulbs the green blue and white wires are attached.
From the 2 outer bulbs or turn signals are yellow green and blak and green.
So seeing as Green are in every bulb I'm assuming green is ground???
And I have green coming from both sides in the harness.
I know this is confusing as hell but I'm running out of options.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-14-2015, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Cool

Update! Just thought I'd post up in case anyone else has this problem in the future.
The headlight plug is a 3 wire plug: Black w/stripe (Fatter), blue and red.
Now those are just the ground (Black) and 2 hots for high and low beam.
The turn signal lights run out of the harness going to the cluster (That's what had me confused because I cut those out previously to sell the stock light.

I decided to forego the turn signals until a later date and drop the cluster completely (Yes the bike runs w/no cluster).

So I attached the black (Ground) from my 3 wire harness gimmick to the green (Ground) coming from the streetfighter light.
Then attached the blue to blue and red to white and the high and low beam works perfectly once you start the bike.

But...the streetfighter light kept blowing the 10amp fuses so I opted for a 20 and that fried the wires
So tomorrow I'll rewire it all nice and pretty and try it w/15amp fuses and I'm pretty sure that will do the trick.

I am a happy boy today, figured it out after all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in