How bad my engine was after 3 miles riding without coolant? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 Old 04-04-2015, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

How bad my engine was after 3 miles riding without coolant?

I decide to share my stupidest riding ever.

I use distilled water in my bike always.and I totally forget that I let my buddy drained the water out for me in the winter.so there is nearly no water in the engine.

I push my bike out of garage,fired up,wait few minutes to see 175 F showed in the gauge,and then,I take riding for the gasoline.

Maybe after 1 mile riding,I see the temperature rising very quick to 221 F,so I stop the engine,I wait the temperature drop to 190 F and ride for minutes and the temperature go up to 221 F again.I know some thing must wrong,so I stop the engine again,wait for minute to see the temperature go back to 190 F and then go back to home.

There are 3 miles riding total I think,I did not ride hard,rev not above 7K rpm I think.

I did not realize how serious the thing would be at that time.I just fill the radiator,and then go for my first track day.

But I immediately found my bike have overheat problem on the way to the circuit.the temperature reach 230 F on the road,and I have to ride fast to let more wind coming in.

Things become worse ,after 7 laps track riding,the temperature above 239F and I get high temp warning showed in the gauge when I go back pit and shut down engine for a while.I go for another 7 laps in next session, same thing happen.

Now , the temperature will slowly go up constantly even in idle. Fan is OK,water pump seems ok because I see water flow when I take off the radiator cap.I remove the thermostat,the same results.The radiator have over-flow problem if i take the radiator cap off. and I see some oil inside radiator.I assume that I blew the head gasket already.

I am depressed now,although I did not notice power lose in the track,but I do notice that I need fire 2 or 3 times to start the engine.I usually only need one fire.I don't know how bad my engine was inside now. and I am not sure,even I assume the engine run fine after head gasket change,how long this engine can stand for the track use.also,did I blew the water pump seal?

Sorry for the long story,any input will be much appreciate!!

Last edited by plasticbaby; 04-04-2015 at 12:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 Old 04-04-2015, 12:14 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Did I miss year of bike? Someone can elaborate but I think that temp your reading is supposed to be from coolant, and there is none so imo it got a lot hotter than the indicated temp.
SkyDork likes this.
post #3 of 59 Old 04-04-2015, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I hope you are wrong ,but I agree with you,no water in the radiator.and the water temperature sensor is not suit for air.
There must lot hotter than 221F in fact,or it will not blew head gasket I think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 59 Old 04-04-2015, 01:00 PM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

Aluminum engines do not like running without coolant.

Almost certainly the head gasket is blown.

The cylinder head needs to be measured for warpage and resurfaced if necessary. The gasket probably blew because the cylinder head warped from the excessive heat.

Inspect the condition of the cylinder walls and valve seats carefully. The problem with the valve seats is that they're steel, and aluminum expands faster than steel. The valve seats are pressed in ... but severe overheating could release the press-fit.

Any time any of my bikes is in a condition where it "looks" OK but something critical is missing - like engine oil, or coolant - I always put a piece of masking tape over the ignition switch and write what the problem is on that tape, e.g. "NO COOLANT" ...
Crazi and Turbodc2 like this.

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
post #5 of 59 Old 04-04-2015, 01:07 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticbaby View Post
I hope you are wrong ,but I agree with you,no water in the radiator.and the water temperature sensor is not suit for air.
There must lot hotter than 221F in fact,or it will not blew head gasket I think.
Def hotter than 221, and head gasket is def blown. is the bike newer? In other words do you have a fortune tied up in it? I always try to replace over fix if the price is even remotely close. In this case I mean whole bike.. You could need that thing torn down pretty far. No coolant in a high compression high rpm motor = major issues. Even in a regular car it won't last but a few miles. My friend daughter crashed, caused little damage but punctured radiator, decided to keep driving and seized engine..
post #6 of 59 Old 04-04-2015, 02:43 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Well his headgasket definitely sounds bad.. but 3 miles of riding shouldn't blow his headgasket though? Wouldn't air cooling be enough if he was rolling?
post #7 of 59 Old 04-04-2015, 03:17 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemont83 View Post
Well his headgasket definitely sounds bad.. but 3 miles of riding shouldn't blow his headgasket though? Wouldn't air cooling be enough if he was rolling?
No air doesn't get into engine.. just having it blow around the outside does nothing but keep the very outside a bit cooler. Does nothing for where the real heat is. Heat destroys everything. It's the major factor in the design of well almost everything that any energy is involved. Ie fuel, electric, nuclear, etc. energy is heat. Heat is energy. Can't have one without the other. Some are more efficient than others but heat is a byproduct.. Even as I sit and write this im putting off approximately 400 btu of heat, judt from my body's energy use. Crazy to think about.
post #8 of 59 Old 04-04-2015, 03:39 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Wow. Yeah you got serious issues now. I agree with what the others have said up to this point. Especially the post about it actually hotter than being shown on the gauge. If the sensor was reading the air temp in the system and it still shows an over heat at 240, you cooked that motor way higher than that. Damn. Good luck with that rebuild.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #9 of 59 Old 04-04-2015, 05:08 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

255f I think is the top temp for the g4. Here's my solution: change oil to amsoil syn and their filter and just beat the crap outta that bike and see what it says. I'm serious. Then I'd report back here what the bike says.

If it's a g4, it'll take it.

edit: I busted a radiator on the '11 and ran it home HARD for 70 miles. Temps were high, like 240f or so when slow. Steam misting around me at every red light. The smell of nasty coolant at every stop. White dried coolant all over the engine and all over my monkey suit. Next day found out zero coolant in the engine. Put water in it and did nothing else and that engine ran SOLID under hard conditions for next 20k miles or so until I blew up a piston bearing.

Last edited by scout; 04-04-2015 at 05:13 PM.
post #10 of 59 Old 04-04-2015, 07:05 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Well we have a diagnosis of a definite head gasket from one person. We have a diagnosis of just put in amsoil and run it from another person.

I am so glad I do not need any actual help or advice from this site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in