HID Bulbs - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 02-14-2008, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

HID Bulbs

Some have suggested installing a HID on the low beam side or both the low and high as an upgrade from the PIAA's.

Question: On a "Gen 1" does anyone have any experience with the HID bulbs infront of the reflectors and how well they work without the projector lens? Before I spend the money and the hassle of the HID's I want to make sure it is an improvement over the PIAA's even without the projector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 02-14-2008, 08:16 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

yes there will be a great improvement

if you are in the camp that believes blinding other people on the road will get you noticed, this is the way to go...there will be a very great increase in your ability to blind others

if you are in the camp that wants the visibility but also respect others on the road then you'll need to do a proper retrofit

......my 100th post
post #3 of 23 Old 02-14-2008, 08:37 PM

Posting Frequency

ive got them on my 04. i actually tilted them down a little to get rid of some glare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 02-14-2008, 08:50 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

i would like to know how and what kits to do a good retrofit of an 05 also
post #5 of 23 Old 02-15-2008, 12:52 PM
Retired post whore

Posting Frequency

I have had HID's on my 04 for about 2 years now - I wouldn't ride with anything else - better visibility for road hazards and better visibility for you against cagers. The HID kit for my 08 just arrived today, they will be installed and ready before the season even gets here.
post #6 of 23 Old 02-15-2008, 03:39 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

what kit did you use alien?
post #7 of 23 Old 02-15-2008, 03:43 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheeler View Post
yes there will be a great improvement

if you are in the camp that believes blinding other people on the road will get you noticed, this is the way to go...there will be a very great increase in your ability to blind others

if you are in the camp that wants the visibility but also respect others on the road then you'll need to do a proper retrofit

......my 100th post
Congrats on the hundeth!!! What is included in a "proper" retrofit?? Im in the camp that respects the visibility of others... Is a whole new lens/etc required??
post #8 of 23 Old 02-15-2008, 06:01 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7774me View Post
Congrats on the hundeth!!! What is included in a "proper" retrofit?? Im in the camp that respects the visibility of others... Is a whole new lens/etc required??
you have an 07 so it will be easier (at least for the low beam). The cheapest way - just keep your stock projector and get a HID kit for the low beam. B/c of the cut off lines and design of projectors, a simple install like this will only work for the low beam side. The high beam projector is designed differently and you'll need to replace it.

simple run down of what I did:

-- got jaguar projectors off ebay
-- took jaguar projectors apart and mated the bottom end to the lens from stock bike projectors
-- wired up HID kit

I now run 2 low beam projectors on both sides all the time & do not have a high beam anymore. There's a write up on how to do high/lo HID on here some where. but to that you'll need to set up your projectors so it can cut a high or low beam.

our stock projectors cut low beam on one side and high beam on the other, it does not do both.

04/05 bikes need a proper retrofit with projectors to not blind people.
post #9 of 23 Old 02-15-2008, 08:09 PM
Retired post whore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher3134 View Post
what kit did you use alien?
I don't remember what kit I have on my 04 - it was a car kit that I "reworked" a little - there weren't any bike specific kits available when I did the conversion. The kit I got for the 08 came from www.starrotors.com - came with both high and low beam and I got the slim ballasts. Gonna take pics of the install on Monday.
post #10 of 23 Old 02-15-2008, 11:27 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien10 View Post
I don't remember what kit I have on my 04 - it was a car kit that I "reworked" a little - there weren't any bike specific kits available when I did the conversion. The kit I got for the 08 came from www.starrotors.com - came with both high and low beam and I got the slim ballasts. Gonna take pics of the install on Monday.
Hey alien i was thinking about gettin HIDs i used this site before on my other two bikes http://www.xenonlink.com/ but http://www.starrotors.com/ has them cheaper. What do you get for $99 both high and lows cause when i tried to order them and it automatically put 2 kits in the cart and 2 sets of slim ballst total came to
$249 thought it would be $124 any info would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by 07 Saki rydr; 02-15-2008 at 11:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in