Help on V-Twin engine - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 11-11-2008, 03:01 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Help on V-Twin engine

Hi everyone, Im Kent and I am doing a research on Motorcycle V-Twin Engine and V-4 Engine (like RC51's engine and Aprillia RSV's engine). Can anyone know any sources which are useful to me from the Internet?

And below are the books that I found on Motorbooks Workshop, are they useful to me? Or have any other recommendations?
  • The Big Book of Harley-Davidson Horsepower : Evo, Twin-Cam, and ups
  • How to Power Tune Harley Davidson 1340 Evolution Engines SpeedPro
  • Ducati 999:Birth of a Legend
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-11-2008, 04:05 AM
WSB Rider

Location: Georgia is home, but the Army has me in San Antonio, TX!!!
Posting Frequency

Try www.tlzone.net or www.tlplanet.com

Those sites are dedicated to the Suzuki TL1000-R, TL1000-S, and the SV line.

post #3 of 9 Old 11-11-2008, 12:20 PM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

It will help to know what sort of information you are looking for.

There's nothing inherently different about how a V-twin engine works compared to any other cylinder layout ...

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-11-2008, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Things that I wish to get helped and I might need it or impotant for me to know are:
  • The V-Twin and L-Twin Concept
  • The V-Twin and L-Twin Theories
  • How V-Twin and L-Twin works
  • Diagram of V-Twin Engine and L Twin Engine
  • How to build a V-Twin Engine and L-Twin Engine

What I've found so far for my research are few books that might useful to me and might letting me to learn are:
  • Ducati 999:Birth of a Legend [by Alan Cathcart]
  • The Big Book of Harley Davidson Horsepower [by Tom Murphy]
post #5 of 9 Old 11-11-2008, 10:36 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
Things that I wish to get helped and I might need it or impotant for me to know are:
  • The V-Twin and L-Twin Concept
  • The V-Twin and L-Twin Theories
  • How V-Twin and L-Twin works
  • Diagram of V-Twin Engine and L Twin Engine
  • How to build a V-Twin Engine and L-Twin Engine

What I've found so far for my research are few books that might useful to me and might letting me to learn are:
  • Ducati 999:Birth of a Legend [by Alan Cathcart]
  • The Big Book of Harley Davidson Horsepower [by Tom Murphy]
I don't think you are going to find every thing you're looking for out of books and the net. The questions your asking up there are pretty in depth, you are asking questions way to broad to be answered here. Every thing from HD's which have a single crank pin for both connecting rods and fire 30 degrees from each other and have single cams with push rods and rockers, all the way to Ducati which have individual crank pins at 180 degrees out on a 110 degree cylinder configuration and used to use helical gear driven shafts to operate a valve train with no springs (meaning the cams both open and close the valves through rocker arms), now Ducati uses belts to drive the cams up top. and I could go on and on about the differences between V and L twins which really is just a matter of the degree of how far apart the cylinders are at the top.

what I am getting at is there are way too many variables in what you are asking, my suggestion is start looking into basic internal combustion engine engineering and learn the basics, but that's a lot of info to take in on your own. I had to go to school for it, hope this helped some good luck.

I never gave it to anyone that didn't deserve it...
post #6 of 9 Old 11-11-2008, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Ummmm.......I get it. So what you mean is starts to learn on the inernal combustion like the links below before I learn on the V-Twin concept?:

http://www.scienceclarified.com/He-I...on-Engine.html
http://www.howstuffworks.com/engine1.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_combustion_engine
http://www.med.govt.nz/templates/Mul...____10309.aspx

But I would like to know the internal build of the V-Twin like shown in the pictures, those parts and the description of it, can you or anyone please help me?
Attached Images

post #7 of 9 Old 11-12-2008, 09:10 AM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

ANY 4 stroke piston engine regardless of layout has the same basic stuff inside it and they all work fundamentally the same way: Crankshaft, connecting rods, pistons, piston rings, camshaft(s), valves, valve springs, plus a myriad of minor parts to make all this stuff work, plus other stuff to support the engine's function i.e. oil pump, water pump, thermostat, air and fuel delivery systems, etc.

None of this is particular to a V-twin arrangement. The only fundamental difference is the way the cylinders are laid out. You can see this from the cutaway that you yourself posted. The V-twin has two entirely separate cylinder heads and camshafts and camshaft drive mechanisms. In the engine that you posted, both connecting rods share one crank pin; this is conventional but it is not *necessarily* like that. Anything other than a 90-degree V-twin will require a balance shaft running the opposite direction of the crankshaft at crankshaft speed to control vibration - *unless* it has a split crank-pin with an offset that is determined by the amount that the V-angle differs from 90 degrees.

I could be wrong, but I have a funny feeling that you know very little about internal combustion engines in general, because the nature of the questions that you are asking. Before getting hung up on learning only about "V-twins" and nothing else, if this is the situation, it would be more constructive for you to learn about internal combustion engines in general first.

Most of us who have experience with motorcycle and car engines (regardless of cylinder layout!) started simple, with something like a lawnmower or garden tractor. If you can figure out what makes a lawnmower work, the basic principles of every other engine are the same, it's just more/bigger of the same thing and more sophistication.

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
post #8 of 9 Old 11-12-2008, 09:13 AM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

Should note that you've posted cutaways of two different engines. The left one is a 90-degree arrangement. The right one is less than 90 degrees, and the balance shaft that I'm talking about for such engines is visible - it actually has two of them, little black gizmo in the cutaway, one in the bottom of the engine beside the crankshaft and the other one in the cylinder head of the cylinder that's towards the right on the drawing.

post #9 of 9 Old 11-13-2008, 04:36 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Yeah, frankly speaking, I really do only know a little of the internal combustion engine. Im here to learn and gain knowledge on them since it's my interest and I willing to learn it but do not have any guidance.

Hoping someone will guide me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in