Help with suspension settings - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 08-22-2006, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to colinmitchell111
Help with suspension settings

Well after searching and reading about suspension settings, I want to adjust mine for better grip. The only problem I have never messed with it and I have no clue how. I dont want to mess anything up or make it worse. I am an agressive rider on the street and like to hit all he twisties arround here so I want to maximize that. I weigh 230lbs in leathers.. I am also getting ready to put a 190/55 on if that makes any difference. Thanks for any advice..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-22-2006, 02:33 PM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

1. Stay with the 190/50 rear tire size. Put on new tires before mucking around with suspension at all.

2. For street riding, adjust front preload so as to achieve 35mm rider-aboard sag, adjust rear preload to achieve 30mm rider-aboard sag. For track riding, take 5mm off both of those. Keep in mind that this is only a starting point.

3. Set the front ride height to give the most neutral turn-in response. If you have to hold the bike down in a corner (and you are hanging-off in the corner), you need to lower the front ride height by sliding the forks up in the triple clamps. 3~5mm lowering is not uncommon to get it to feel right. Don't change ride height by more than that. It is also possible to do this by raising the rear rather than lowering the front - the good thing is that a higher bike has more cornering clearance - the bad thing is that a higher bike has a higher center of gravity and will want to wheelie more, which is fine for stunting but not for getting the power to the ground.

4. Damping settings have to be done more-or-less by feel.

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
post #3 of 16 Old 08-22-2006, 02:53 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Skype™ to lavudyar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster
1. Stay with the 190/50 rear tire size. Put on new tires before mucking around with suspension at all.
Could not disagree more - finding a solid all around setup for your suspension is the single most important handling solution available. You can over-ride or out-ride questionable tires but even the best road or race rubber can't fix a bad suspension setup (and many times will make it worse)!

Set your sag, set all your adjusters in the middle of the range for a starting point and then go here:

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/suspension/

for a great suspension setup primer. It's in plain English so we can follow along.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 08-22-2006, 03:21 PM

Posting Frequency

for comp/damper adjustment, why not go with the stock setup as starting point. at least you know the weight it is setup for. you can then go stiffer or softer depend on your weight.
post #5 of 16 Old 08-22-2006, 05:50 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

There is no such thing as a 'stock' setup. The suspension parts come off the assembly line in no particular state of tune and are not changed until you do it yourself (my fork comp settings were all the way hard on the left and middle click on the right when I picked up my bike - and my RC51 was even worse).

Now, some dealerships will set the adjusters to the middle but they are few and far between and how would you know? The only way to be sure the suspension is correct is to set it yourself.
post #6 of 16 Old 08-22-2006, 10:22 PM

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavudyar
There is no such thing as a 'stock' setup. The suspension parts come off the assembly line in no particular state of tune and are not changed until you do it yourself (my fork comp settings were all the way hard on the left and middle click on the right when I picked up my bike - and my RC51 was even worse).

Now, some dealerships will set the adjusters to the middle but they are few and far between and how would you know? The only way to be sure the suspension is correct is to set it yourself.
check the manual lately? it's in there stock setup for 150lb.
post #7 of 16 Old 08-22-2006, 11:00 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody
check the manual lately? it's in there stock setup for 150lb.
I remember seeing that, but that's not really stock. Maybe I should have clarified - 'stock' means 'unchanged' to me, so stock or unchanged suspension from the dealer is unacceptable because you have no idea if he set it to the middle of the range or not. You really shouldn't trust these things to the low man on the mechanic's totem pole.

And yes, the settings in the manual are right in the middle of the adjustment range.
post #8 of 16 Old 08-22-2006, 11:33 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Ok not trying to be an ass here just learning myself. Arent the bikes set up for a 150 lbs rider? And isnt the determined by the spring rate. And the valving is for fine tuning for each individual?
post #9 of 16 Old 08-22-2006, 11:39 PM

Posting Frequency

stock means factory setting to me and not from dealer.

the only setting in the middleis the front fork compression wich is at 7th click range 1 ~ 14.
post #10 of 16 Old 08-23-2006, 09:28 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Factory settings are non-existent. The bikes are assembled, started, disassembled, boxed and shipped. No one in Japan messes with the suspension settings before shipping. So while there is a recommendation in the manual for settings, who are you trusting to make sure they were done?

And don't forget the front rebound - 9th click of 18 (17 really, but everyone counts a bit differently). I didn't bother reading back to the rear settings.

Spring rate is set for a range of rider weights and styles of riding. Preload settings make the more specific adjustments for specific weights. The comp and rebound adjustments control movement rates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in