Gen 3: 2008-2010 Help with stock gear indicator - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 07-25-2012, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Help with stock gear indicator

So Im in need of some help. Suddenly in the last three weeks my stock gear position indicator seems to have lost the plot. Neutral seems normal, but the display fails to remain accurate in any other gear.
For exaMPLE: I start out in 1st then move 2-3rd etc the display will hang in 1st then suddenly realize that i have changed but may not go to the correct gear. The bike seems to run perfectly and I dont notice any related issues. I am concerned because I have a Bazzaz EFi TC and the map can change from gear to gear. Anyone else experience this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-27-2012, 01:30 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Barring any trouble with wires/connections getting frayed it sounds like the sensor may of gone haywire. It's easy enough to get to as its just above the countershaft on the left side.

If you have any sort of TRE devices those patch into the gear shift sensor and may have a bum connection.

Electrical problems suck. Good luck.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-27-2012, 01:47 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Well, I agree that's it's probably a switch issue, the location is not above the countershaft sprocket. That's the speed sensor. The gear position sensor is below the sprocket cover behind the water pump. It reads the position of the shift drum to send the signal to the ECU. Kind of a pain to get to because you have to remove the water pump to get it out.

But because of it's location, it may just have crap on it that is causing the faulty condition. Since the Bazzaz uses the gear position in between the sensor and the cluster, I'd use the Bazzaz software to see what it's reading is. If the software matches the instrument cluster, then it's most likely and issue with the sensor. But if it reads right and the cluster is still messed up, you've most likely got an issue with the cluster.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-27-2012, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Thanks guys. Im going to work on it tonight. If my garage will get below 100'F lol
post #5 of 8 Old 07-28-2012, 01:40 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
Well, I agree that's it's probably a switch issue, the location is not above the countershaft sprocket...
Sure, if you're one of them new school mechanics. I still flip my bike upside down like a bicycle to work on it.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-28-2012, 03:34 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocky Rooster View Post
Sure, if you're one of them new school mechanics. I still flip my bike upside down like a bicycle to work on it.
That's pretty redneck if you ask me.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #7 of 8 Old 07-28-2012, 03:40 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

is your battery fully charged? I know on my old 636, the tach/speedo started actin a little funky, flashing speeds all over the place at constant speed on a slightly low battery

08 ZX6R Radial M/C ZG Sport Touring Windscreen CBR600RR Calipers BMC Street Filter
GP Shift Pattern DIY Mod Fender Eliminator Kit 16/44 Gearing Euro Flushmount Signals
Gauge Cluster Color DIY ModSoupy's Fully Adjustable Lowering Links HEL Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
post #8 of 8 Old 07-29-2012, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

OP
Yea battery is perfect I ride daily and its on a tender when not moving. Just had the stator recall done too, although my stator seemed to be fine

I plan on digging into this more this week, its still stupid hot here but Im riding to Indy GP again this year and I want to be sure its going to be a good trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in