Help with Kawi race intake cam mesurement please - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 08-17-2007, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Help with Kawi race intake cam mesurement please

I bought a use race intake cam and I would like to know if anybody have one lying around and can mesure the cam height(overall height) so I can compare with mine. I check with the lift specs but it is harder to mesure accurately than the height.

There is no part number on the cam so I cannot be 100% sure if it's really a race cam or a stock one.

Thanks!

2005 RAW TITANIUM ZX-10R:
04 /05 Kawasaki race intake cam, 0.45mm head gasket, full titanium akrapovic exhaust, Woolich racing LBP, PCIII USB, BMC race air filter,
wideband O2 sensor, annitori Rl QS, Hyperpro RSC steering damper, Shorai lithium battery, gipro ds gear indicator,
healtech Shift light pro, ZX-14 front caliper

2002 ZX-12R all stock

1993 MUSTANG LX 5.0L, N/A 400 HP, [email protected] MPH on 17" E.T. street tire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-17-2007, 10:42 PM
Speed Freak

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to garth285
heres how you tell.... theres a groove all the way around the I guess keeper the thing thats held on by the cap that holds both the cams in.... but Im not sure if the 06-07 has those as well but i know the 04-05's are different.

you might be able to look in the service manual, if you don't have one theres a PDF online somewhere and see what stock limit is and add what ever its supposed to be on top of that maybe..... well it goes by lift so you should be able to measure the lift on the cam real easy just take a good side measurement on the lobe and then a measurement with the lobe long ways, minus the numbers and you should have w/e lift it has, i believe the race cam is 9.7mm? or 9.6???

I dont have a stock cam with me now and i dont have a set of calipers to measure as well... sorry....
post #3 of 15 Old 08-18-2007, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Thank you for trying to help garth285.

Seem like the mesurement value would be more like toward the race cam than the stock one but not quit. As far as the groove I don't quite understand. I don't think I see a groove on the supposely race cam.

I hope somebody have a race intake cam around and can please take a quick cam height mesurement with a caliper.

Thank you!

04 /05 Kawasaki race intake cam, 0.45mm head gasket, full titanium akrapovic exhaust, Woolich racing LBP, PCIII USB, BMC race air filter,
wideband O2 sensor, annitori Rl QS, Hyperpro RSC steering damper, Shorai lithium battery, gipro ds gear indicator,

2002 ZX-12R all stock

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 08-18-2007, 10:41 AM
Speed Freak

Posting Frequency

if you look on the side by the cam sprockets the i guess guide that keeps the cams in place.... the part that has the long cam cap going across the both of the cams...... if one doesnt have a small groove and one does its a race intake. that or take a colse up pic of the both of them if you can or something.
post #5 of 15 Old 08-18-2007, 02:16 PM
BANNED

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEPH93LX View Post
Thank you for trying to help garth285.

Seem like the mesurement value would be more like toward the race cam than the stock one but not quit. As far as the groove I don't quite understand. I don't think I see a groove on the supposely race cam.

I hope somebody have a race intake cam around and can please take a quick cam height mesurement with a caliper.

Thank you!
I have one. I will do it later tonight if someone else hasn't by then. Will post some pix of it as well if that helps.

But I can tell you this. If you put dial calipers around the cam, and if they are digital calipers zero them out, then rotate the cam inside the dial calipers, it will measure about 9.7MM. I know this because I have already done it. Thats the lift, but not the measurement you are asking for from the base circle to the tip of the lobe. I will measure that for you tonight though it may be real late.

JJ
post #6 of 15 Old 08-18-2007, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJam View Post
I have one. I will do it later tonight if someone else hasn't by then. Will post some pix of it as well if that helps.

But I can tell you this. If you put dial calipers around the cam, and if they are digital calipers zero them out, then rotate the cam inside the dial calipers, it will measure about 9.7MM. I know this because I have already done it. Thats the lift, but not the measurement you are asking for from the base circle to the tip of the lobe. I will measure that for you tonight though it may be real late.

JJ
Thank you for your help! I will be waiting for your response.

2002 ZX-12R all stock

post #7 of 15 Old 08-18-2007, 08:16 PM
BANNED

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEPH93LX View Post
Thank you for your help! I will be waiting for your response.
Here ya go. Some measurements and pix. I have not yet installed the intake cam.

Its not the easiest thing to get an accurate repeatable measurement when measuring cam lobes with a dial indicator. It averaged around 35.85mm. I could have got a more accurate measurement if I had had someone to hold the cam, but this is close enough. If yours measures close to this then you may have the RACE intake. Hope this helps.

JJ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Label.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	42520   Click image for larger version

Name:	Opened.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	42521   Click image for larger version

Name:	35.85.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	42522  
post #8 of 15 Old 08-18-2007, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJam View Post
Here ya go. Some measurements and pix. I have not yet installed the intake cam.

Its not the easiest thing to get an accurate repeatable measurement when measuring cam lobes with a dial indicator. It averaged around 35.85mm. I could have got a more accurate measurement if I had had someone to hold the cam, but this is close enough. If yours measures close to this then you may have the RACE intake. Hope this helps.
Thanks! JimmyJam

The mesurement I get are pretty much beetween 13.75 and 13.80mm more often 13.75.

I believe this is conclusive enough to say that I have the race cam.

By curiosity what was your mesurement span. I got once or twice 13.85mm but it seem I was of axis a little bit. Very hard to be consistent like you said.

Again thank you very much for your help

2002 ZX-12R all stock

post #9 of 15 Old 08-18-2007, 11:21 PM
Speed Freak

Posting Frequency

that is the part I was talking about that has a groove in it.
post #10 of 15 Old 08-18-2007, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

[QUOTE=garth285;725885]

that is the part I was talking about that has a groove in it.[/QUOTE

I see!

Thanks!

2002 ZX-12R all stock

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in