HELP - Excessive Carbon Build Up? Why? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 07-16-2005, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Question HELP - Excessive Carbon Build Up? Why?

Okay so I decided to take the plunge and put the thin head gasket in today after looking at it for three months. I have never been inside a bike engine before but I research it extensively and felt comfortable performing the mod. I break everything down fine, but when I take the head off pistons with a large amount of carbon build up are revealed. The valves look to have an equal amount of build up.

I have 2,900 miles on my 04' and I always use premium or race gas. I swithced to Fuchs synthetic oil at 500 and have changed oil at 1000, 1500 & 2300. I have Two Bros slip on, PCIII, Block-Off Plates & a TRE. I have had some problems with low rpm valve chatter and slightly higher operating temps. Aside from that this thing ran extremely fast and had no performance problems. In fact it is faster than most of the other 10's around here.

Why would I have this carbon build up? Is there something I need to do or fix before I put it all back together? What is the appropriate way to clean this crud off? Your input is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-16-2005, 07:50 PM

Posting Frequency

One problem would be the PCIII being to rich at certain RPM bands, especially at cruise. Check your spark plugs also.
post #3 of 22 Old 07-16-2005, 10:20 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to Bobster Send a message via Yahoo to Bobster
Mine was the same way. I used a razor knife a just scraped it off. It came off very easy. This was at 1700 miles. I could see the carbon build up in the can tip which says i was running too rich. All that build up actually bumps your compression. Im willing to say thats why everyone says " my bike is running stronger as i put more miles on her ". I run a cleaner in the fuel tank once in a while now tho. This is IMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 07-16-2005, 10:24 PM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

What map do you have in the PCIII, and how was that map developed?

Another tipoff - How's your fuel consumption?

To further a suggestion above, the air/fuel ratio at 5% - 20% throttle and above 3000-ish rpm needs to be in the 15:1 range, slightly lean of stoichiometric.

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
post #5 of 22 Old 07-16-2005, 10:28 PM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

One other thing - Are you sure the "low rpm valve chatter" isn't really "detonation"?

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
post #6 of 22 Old 07-17-2005, 08:16 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster
What map do you have in the PCIII, and how was that map developed?

Another tipoff - How's your fuel consumption?

To further a suggestion above, the air/fuel ratio at 5% - 20% throttle and above 3000-ish rpm needs to be in the 15:1 range, slightly lean of stoichiometric.
Just curious... Why set it leaner than stoich? Haven't heard anyone suggest this b4.

BTW, I also agree that unless he's had a custom map done, chances are he is running rich. Hence, the carbon build-up.
post #7 of 22 Old 07-17-2005, 08:24 AM

Posting Frequency

The stuff used in Chevron gas (Techron) and in BK Industries product 44K is effective in removing carbon buildup from pistons and intake valves.
post #8 of 22 Old 07-17-2005, 08:45 AM

Posting Frequency

the race gas is probly most of your problem. I have a friend who ran a couple of tanks full of race gas through his bike and it carboned so bad it fouled the plugs. He install new plugs and ran pump gas ever since with no more problem. The race gas burns dirtier and will actually cost you horsepower in most engines if they are tuned for pump gas.
post #9 of 22 Old 07-17-2005, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

I have run the race gas about every 5 or 6 tanks. I also run a Muzzy slip on map because it seemed stouter despite the Two Bros pipe. Granted this much richer than the Two Bros map and significantly more than Ivan's map. The bike just seemed stronger with that map.
So is the consensus that the map is too rich and I need to run something to clean through the tank regularly?
Any map recomendations?
post #10 of 22 Old 07-17-2005, 12:39 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by max-out
the race gas is probly most of your problem. I have a friend who ran a couple of tanks full of race gas through his bike and it carboned so bad it fouled the plugs. He install new plugs and ran pump gas ever since with no more problem. The race gas burns dirtier and will actually cost you horsepower in most engines if they are tuned for pump gas.
Right you are. Race gas in a stock motored bike is a power loser.

05 lime green. Sato slip-on, pc3usb, bmc race filter.
"when ya lose site of why ya ride then you've lost what really matters"---THE MOTORHEAD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in