help diagnose - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 09-06-2006, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

help diagnose

well still haven't figured out problem. problem is bike runs (struggles) past 9000 rpm. tops out at 136mph (5-6 weeks ago 181mph). does not smoke or use oil, valves in spec, plugs look great. i have taken out power commmander and tre but no change. bike will not climb or struggles to climb past 10000 rpm. i am original owner and have always maintAINED THIS BIKE VERY WELL. starts great, not throwing any diagnostic codes, lights all work normally. my fuel pump does make a loud high pitch noise when key is turned on but fuel pressure checks out fine. apppreciate past suggestions. bike will not even wheelie in first gear and i know all you 10 owner's know that is not normal. i don't stunt this bike or tear it up with burn outs or very many wheelies ( you know wheelies are impossible to avoid completely). appreciate any new suggestions. thanks paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-06-2006, 10:02 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

if it was me i would change the plugs and take off all my mods. i fowled out a plug and it ran like crap. started up great but at higher rpm's it struggled. could be fuel pump ect. but i would start with a fresh set of plugs.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-06-2006, 11:01 AM
FAF
Rent this space

Posting Frequency

What year is your bike ??

I would certainly do as Eric suggested, and then check to see if you have blocked the CAT with carbon deposits.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 09-07-2006, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

thanks for the suggestion. i did have the plugs changed about a month ago after it started running poorly. fuel pump is in so i will try that next.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-07-2006, 03:35 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Are you running a slip-on or stock can? Stock can could have the cat plugged up or stock headers could have the valve stuck shut.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-07-2006, 09:03 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Just a thought, check all your electrical connections, look up in the manual the locations of all the grounds on the motor and make sure all is tight and clean......

I found over the years that more than half of all electrical problems is a ground problem..... If your fuel pump is showing good pressure than thats probaly not it.....

I'm just a diesel mechanic but I do all my own work on all my bikes, you never know....

Always start with the simple stuff first, its always something simple with electrical.....
post #7 of 8 Old 09-09-2006, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Appreciate The Suggestions. Got The Bike Fixed Finally. And To My And My Mechanics Surprise It Was The Fuel Pump. The Fuel Pressure Checked Out Fine Both At Idle And High Revs. The Only Reason We Tried The Fuel Pump Is B/c When You First Turn The Bike On (without The Motor Running) It Made A Loud High Pitch Squeal Sound Which Was Abnormal. I Rode The Bike And It Wheeleied Right Up (wouldn't With Problem).
post #8 of 8 Old 09-09-2006, 10:33 PM
FAF
Rent this space

Posting Frequency

Glad youre back at it, the fuel pump seems to be a delicate piece it seems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in