HELP!!! Coolant/Radiator problem?! - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 12-03-2009, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

HELP!!! Coolant/Radiator problem?!

Alright, I have a big dilemma. I was just checking my coolant level the other day and noticed the coolant reserve tank was completely filled with coolant. It has always been between the H and L lines ever since I bought it brand new back in March 08. I just changed the coolant in Sept and have never had any problems. Well I took it to my local performance shop and they just sucked. He told me he couldnít find anything wrong. He checked the radiator and the coolant level was good so all he did was drain the reserve tank till it was between the H and L lines. Well I picked it up and drove it home. The whole time knowing that there has to be something more then what this bozo told me. Guess what, when I got home, the coolant reserve tank was again filled (topped off) with coolant! I then checked the radiator and it was a little low. I havenít added anymore coolant yet. What can be causing this? I donít know why the overflow is retaining all that coolant. Now the bike isnít running hot. It still runs around 180 degrees on the freeway and about 205 degrees in traffic. I know something is wrong but just cant pinpoint it. I would take it to Kawi but I need the money for the holidays. I was hoping one of my fellow forum members could help me out.

Custom FE/CA taillight/TechSpec/Driven D-Axis gas cap/Cox Racing/Champs frame-fork-swingarm sliders/Puig ZRacing/Titax/Woodcraft-Attack case covers/SME rear axle block sliders/Misc carbon fiber/ZG Latigo/HID's/M4 Street Slayer/BMC/XTre/EK 520 MVXZ/+4 Drive Sys/SpeedoHealer/HEL 'Stealth'-Motul RBF600-Galfer pads/KyleRacing damper/Rifleman's/Ivans b/o plates/Q3's/Motul 300v/Engine Ice/Shorai
http://www.maresohana.com/ktrsd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-03-2009, 02:28 PM
JVT
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Maybe the pressure cap is bad on the Rad. Cheap fix, worth a try. If it' not overheating thats all I can come up with. Let us know, I'm interested now.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-03-2009, 06:54 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Check the lines for a kink or bend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-03-2009, 07:03 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Does it do this on an easy ride or is it more common when you run the snot out of it? Running it hard may have a compression leak through the head gasket that can pressurize the cooling system forcing coolant to the recovery tank. However it should draw some of this excess coolant back into the radiator when it cools down to cold. A radiator cap might be the problem? Also do you have alot of timing advance in your power commander, a little timing induced detonation could lift the head ever so slightly to again allow the cylinders compression to "push" on the coolant.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-03-2009, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Thanks for the advice. The rad cap is ok, I also checked the lines, also good. Now this has happened on my commute to work. I go about 20 miles each way and traffic isnt that bad. This is a complete surprise as I havent done any work to the bike to warrant anything. I will keep an eye on it and strip the bike down this weekend and hopefully figure something out. If anyone else has any ideas, please let me know. Thanks.

Custom FE/CA taillight/TechSpec/Driven D-Axis gas cap/Cox Racing/Champs frame-fork-swingarm sliders/Puig ZRacing/Titax/Woodcraft-Attack case covers/SME rear axle block sliders/Misc carbon fiber/ZG Latigo/HID's/M4 Street Slayer/BMC/XTre/EK 520 MVXZ/+4 Drive Sys/SpeedoHealer/HEL 'Stealth'-Motul RBF600-Galfer pads/KyleRacing damper/Rifleman's/Ivans b/o plates/Q3's/Motul 300v/Engine Ice/Shorai
post #6 of 8 Old 12-03-2009, 10:04 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

How did you verify the cap was good?
post #7 of 8 Old 12-04-2009, 03:28 AM

Posting Frequency

take off the lines between radiator and expansion tank, as well as the venting line, blow em clean with air or water make sure they are not blocked i had this pblm on dirt bikes with blocked vent lines. it might also be that you have dirt or deposits (calc etc) in your cooling circuit inside the engine, speciall if it's an older bike or you used tabwater to dillute the cooling liquid..... (i recomend use cooling liquid not the concentrated stuff you dillute with water). there are cooling system cleaning fluids, you simply pure some in your radiator and heat the bike up.
than change the cooling liquid. if there is such a blockage however typically your temp gauge will raise higher up, specially if you drive it in heavy traffic, slow speed........

if those lines are clear it could mean that the cold start flap has a problem doesn't open, that flap reduces or cuts off colling circuit until engine is getting warm, than at a certain temp. it opens and lets full cooling stream through, now if that valve is damaged, it won't open, colling fluid doesn't cirdulate fully and heats up goes to the expansian tank..... however your temp gauge might still show normal values, had this pblm on a KLX650 couple years back....
don't know what valve type they use on the zxr.... but, if you want to check this, just de install the valve and reinstall the cooling tubes again, run the bike without it....... it will heat up slower but than should work normally as before........ Ó ran my klx for years now without that valve as i live in a hot country......

by the way i think if the headgasket isn't tight in my opinion you should see some funny smoke comming out your pipe as well... i blew 1 or 2 of these sealings and usually i noted the smoke out of the exhaust first.......

Last edited by MarcelZX10R; 12-04-2009 at 03:34 AM.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-04-2009, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcelZX10R View Post
take off the lines between radiator and expansion tank, as well as the venting line, blow em clean with air or water make sure they are not blocked i had this pblm on dirt bikes with blocked vent lines. it might also be that you have dirt or deposits (calc etc) in your cooling circuit inside the engine, speciall if it's an older bike or you used tabwater to dillute the cooling liquid..... (i recomend use cooling liquid not the concentrated stuff you dillute with water). there are cooling system cleaning fluids, you simply pure some in your radiator and heat the bike up.
than change the cooling liquid. if there is such a blockage however typically your temp gauge will raise higher up, specially if you drive it in heavy traffic, slow speed........

if those lines are clear it could mean that the cold start flap has a problem doesn't open, that flap reduces or cuts off colling circuit until engine is getting warm, than at a certain temp. it opens and lets full cooling stream through, now if that valve is damaged, it won't open, colling fluid doesn't cirdulate fully and heats up goes to the expansian tank..... however your temp gauge might still show normal values, had this pblm on a KLX650 couple years back....
don't know what valve type they use on the zxr.... but, if you want to check this, just de install the valve and reinstall the cooling tubes again, run the bike without it....... it will heat up slower but than should work normally as before........ Ó ran my klx for years now without that valve as i live in a hot country......

by the way i think if the headgasket isn't tight in my opinion you should see some funny smoke comming out your pipe as well... i blew 1 or 2 of these sealings and usually i noted the smoke out of the exhaust first.......
Marcel, thanks so much for all the advice. I will try all your recommendations this weekend. I actually just came back from downtown and all the stop and go traffic, my bike never got over 210 degrees. Its crazy. Thanks again for the help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in