Heat Soaked Or Clutch Issues? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 09-09-2008, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Heat Soaked Or Clutch Issues?

Hey guys. I am trying to figure out why every time I hit up the strip my best et is one of the first three runs I make. Is this my motor getting heat soaked or is this my clutch doing something funky?

Also my 60' times are the only thing that changes throughout the runs. MPH stays close to the same. So I am guessing this is a clutch issue.

Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-09-2008, 11:40 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

When mine was NA it would run better the hotter it got, because the oil is thinning out and its making more HP. Just like on a dyno the second pull right after the first will usually net a bigger #. If your 60's are getting slower it might be time to look for a new pack and in that case give dwayne a call at cycle concepts he has a drag pack that is supposed to work like butter. However if your 60's are staying consistent then it might just be the rider. Your first rip down the track you might have more adrenaline pumping and you might be riding the bike harder. Try to get consistent and the only way that will happen is with ALOT of seat time. Everyone will tell you in drag racing its all seat time!!
post #3 of 8 Old 09-10-2008, 06:56 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

The ZX-10R does not really have a heavy duty clutch that works all that well at the drag strip. It heats up very fast adn takes a bit to cool down. The ZX-14 has a very similar clutch to the old ZX-11 which we all know was a great bike for the strip.

When I take my 10 to drag I only make about 1 pass every 30-45 min or the clutch starts to slip. It was like this when it only had 1000 miles on it and it is the same even after the clutch plates have been changed once.

I think that what you are experiencing is just a bike that was built to race on a road course not so much on a drag strip. The slipping the clutch at the starting line creates alot of heat. But like I said if you are willing to wait 30-45 min between runs you should be fine.

Even though you will see others doing it. DO NOT!!! put ice on your covers to cool the bike down. This is a great way to cause stress fractures in already thin factory cases.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 09-10-2008, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Guess I will be giving cycle concepts a call then. The clutch has over 50 passes on it.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-10-2008, 07:55 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

One thing I do is open the oil fill port and direct a fan down towards there. This will help evacuate the heat a little quicker. Just made sure no junk goes down there
post #6 of 8 Old 09-10-2008, 08:04 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I dunno, I had hundreds on passes on mine and I never had an issue, but mine is a second gen.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-10-2008, 08:17 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Try the clutch pack from cycle concepts and heavy clutch spring just use 4 heavy ans 2 oem springs

04 ZX10 muzzy turbo,ported and polished head,carpenter valve springs and valves,kaw race cam,walbro fuel pump,begi fmu,mps airshifter,pcIII and ignition module,strectched 10 over,galfer brake lines,530 ek drag chain,16 front sprocket 45 rear sprocket,gpr dampner,modded clutch basket
post #8 of 8 Old 09-10-2008, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline659 View Post
I dunno, I had hundreds on passes on mine and I never had an issue, but mine is a second gen.
Mine is also a second gen. My 60' times drop and level off at 1.66-68. My best 60' is 1.63 and that normally occurs when I first arrive at the track.

What does cycle concepts offer? I took a look at their website but didnt see anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in