Gen 4: 2011-2015 Head work - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 12-05-2014, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Head work

Having some head work done on a gen 4. Plan on decking the head .010" and also running a .045" head gasket. Going to have minor port work done. Mainly smoothing the bowls and port matching intake boots, removing excess valve guides from ports. Just curious on our ptv clearance. Will be running stock cams and stock cam degree numbers if possible. Any info will help.

Born with that MAD KAW DISEASE!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-05-2014, 02:32 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Never been on a G4 but if you could swing doing cams it would really help out the port job. All the other stuff is great but when you add in cams/new cam #'s you really get the bang for your buck outta the engine. Just my spare change. Would look into some cams if you can swing it, heck even if only the intake. Sounds fun though.

Live Til You Die - QOTSA

We will all die but only a select few of us will ever truly live.

We all will feed the worms and tree's so dont be shy
- QOTSA
post #3 of 9 Old 12-05-2014, 08:27 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

If you do the kawi kit cams, just use the intake. Apparently the exhaust kit cam is useless.

Please tell me you did a baseline dyno pull before doing the engine work? I really want to see somewhat accurate before and after results.

2016 Ninja H2 - CANADAS Fastest 1/4 - 8.34 at 169mph - 208.4mph in the mile. Brocks Performance Stage 2 Package, MC Cycle works Intercooler, Full Polished Slash-Cut Exhaust, DNA Filter, PC5, Brocks Lowering Links, Brocks Front Strap Kit, BST Rim, Adams Performance Swingarm 7-11", Zero Gravity Corsa Windscreen, Evotech Radiator Guard, Evotech Fork Sliders, Yoshimura Tail Tidy

2011 ZX10R - SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 12-09-2014, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Yes the bike made 174 with a arrow slip on. Ill will post results soon. Thanks

Born with that MAD KAW DISEASE!!!!!
post #5 of 9 Old 12-09-2014, 04:53 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

^Sounds great, thanks!

Have you thought about maybe decking it more than 10 thou? I think you can get 20 to 30 thou off of these heads, but I could be mistaken.

2016 Ninja H2 - CANADAS Fastest 1/4 - 8.34 at 169mph - 208.4mph in the mile. Brocks Performance Stage 2 Package, MC Cycle works Intercooler, Full Polished Slash-Cut Exhaust, DNA Filter, PC5, Brocks Lowering Links, Brocks Front Strap Kit, BST Rim, Adams Performance Swingarm 7-11", Zero Gravity Corsa Windscreen, Evotech Radiator Guard, Evotech Fork Sliders, Yoshimura Tail Tidy

2011 ZX10R - SOLD
post #6 of 9 Old 12-09-2014, 08:20 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretched10R View Post
Having some head work done on a gen 4. Plan on decking the head .010" and also running a .045" head gasket. Going to have minor port work done. Mainly smoothing the bowls and port matching intake boots, removing excess valve guides from ports. Just curious on our ptv clearance. Will be running stock cams and stock cam degree numbers if possible. Any info will help.

Keep in mind when you deck the head you are limiting where you can degree the cams a bit because you are giving back some of your PTV clearance. When I done my Gen1 (Ported head and thin gasket, STD deck) I couldn't put the cams exactly where I wanted to put them because of the lack of PTV clearance. I don't know anything about a Gen 4 head or cams other than the Gen 4 has larger cam buckets on the intake side that allows for a much larger cam than the other 3 Gen's could run. That's one of the largest advantages to the Gen 4 head that I've learned. I'm not sure what PTV numbers you can get away with according to Kawasaki's race manual you can run these things tighter than I was comfortable with doing. I used the tried and true .040 intake and .080 exhaust PTV numbers and felt safe that a missed shift wouldn't tag a valve.. Do yourself a favor and spend some money on some good springs and retainers while you're in there it's money well spent especially if you are raising your RPM's by hacking the ECU. My Gen 1 made 174 with the head, intake cam and head gasket mod along with the normal bolt on parts.. A gen 4 should make a lot more from all I've ever heard.. I hope this helps at least some..
post #7 of 9 Old 12-09-2014, 08:36 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

gen 4 springs are totally different from any other gen. good seat pressure with strong retainers. ti int. valves can run a little tighter than gen1 and 2 with tool steel valves. think u will find .015 deck about max without sinking int. valves, that gets it right to the stock valve seat. .015 will work and allow degree. valve cover head surface and deck are not parallel from factory, angle milled so head must be indexed to correct angle to be milled. should run good with u doing the work.

Last edited by gazx10; 12-09-2014 at 08:44 PM.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-26-2014, 09:54 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Gaszx10
Who did the angle mill and what where the gains

2012 Zx14R-Blk: BSTs/Alumi-Pro arm/Brock Short Smeg/ECU Unleased
2012 azx14R-Smurf Blu: PMs/ Evil- chrome moly arm/Brock Short Smeg/ECU Unleased
2011 Zx10R-Blk: BSTs/Evil-chrome moly arm/Brock Short Smeg/ECU Unleashed
post #9 of 9 Old 12-27-2014, 10:30 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

pm'd u.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in