Head Milling - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 06-29-2013, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Head Milling

Was considering on having my head milled. I was just wondering if and how much to take off. I am running stock pistons with the .45 head gasket. I always run 93 but don't want to have to run race fuel. I have the PC3 and ignition module also if that helps. Thanks guys

2006 Pearl Solar Yellow. Yoshi R22, PC3, Ignition Module, TRE, Velocity Stacks, Butterfly Mod, Cat removed, Intake Race Cam, .45 Head Gasket & K&N
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-29-2013, 07:12 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

You wont have to run race gas with head milled an .45 gasket..Talk to BGMAGMA, he's got thin HG milled head and 13.5:1 JE's..runs 91 just fine

I have same setup as him minus the thin HG, with 3 degrees advanced and runs great on pump 91...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #3 of 12 Old 06-29-2013, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOSZX10R327 View Post
You wont have to run race gas with head milled an .45 gasket..Talk to BGMAGMA, he's got thin HG milled head and 13.5:1 JE's..runs 91 just fine

I have same setup as him minus the thin HG, with 3 degrees advanced and runs great on pump 91...

my timing starts in the negative in the lower rpms and jumps up as the rpms go up. it goes all the way to +8 till it hits 13000

2006 Pearl Solar Yellow. Yoshi R22, PC3, Ignition Module, TRE, Velocity Stacks, Butterfly Mod, Cat removed, Intake Race Cam, .45 Head Gasket & K&N
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 06-30-2013, 08:57 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

.005" to .010"

2004 ZX10R-few mods here and there......
and even made more Evil by Woolich.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-30-2013, 12:36 PM
Slow Poke

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOSZX10R327 View Post

have about .08 milled and a .45 hg and run pump gas fine. No timing advance though. Not yet anyway

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
post #6 of 12 Old 06-30-2013, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmagma10 View Post
have about .08 milled and a .45 hg and run pump gas fine. No timing advance though. Not yet anyway

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
I wonder if I would be safe at 10 or should I just stay at 5.

post #7 of 12 Old 06-30-2013, 07:34 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

.004" is about the thickness of a piece of paper.....so from 5 to 10 isn't a drastic jump, but an increase non the less.....with the stock pistons and head giving a 12.7:1 comp, there is lots of room before you get into race gas territory.......being if you did 10 with the thin gasket, and for some crazy reason it was too much, you can alway give that back from a thicker gasket......milling isn't cheap and it sure is alot of work compared to swapping head gaskets. :)

2004 ZX10R-few mods here and there......
and even made more Evil by Woolich.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-30-2013, 08:33 PM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

I am using Wossner 13.5:1 pistons and a 0.55mm head gasket, no head milling, Web camshafts (the milder of the two available choices) and I undid the 3-degree timing advance that I had before building the engine. With those pistons, 0.45mm head gasket would have put piston-to-head clearance scary tight. Maybe the stock pistons have a slightly different deck height but you'd better check. Unfortunately, the 0.55mm head gasket appears to be no longer available.

I've done all of my tuning on PetroCanada 94, which is what I plan to use whenever possible, and there's no detonation as far as I can tell. Had one fill-up of Shell V-power 91, it didn't feel right and I was nervous about it ... I'd rather not find out the hard way that it wants more. At this point I'm planning to run it on 94, and I can use 91 if I can't get 94 and need to get somewhere, but not riding hard ... I just finished resetting the valve clearances after putting about 1000 km on the engine (and deciding that I'd rather use Kawasaki's valve clearance specs than Web Camshafts much looser, excessively noisy specs), we'll see if that changes anything tomorrow.

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
post #9 of 12 Old 06-30-2013, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
I am using Wossner 13.5:1 pistons and a 0.55mm head gasket, no head milling, Web camshafts (the milder of the two available choices) and I undid the 3-degree timing advance that I had before building the engine. With those pistons, 0.45mm head gasket would have put piston-to-head clearance scary tight. Maybe the stock pistons have a slightly different deck height but you'd better check. Unfortunately, the 0.55mm head gasket appears to be no longer available.

I've done all of my tuning on PetroCanada 94, which is what I plan to use whenever possible, and there's no detonation as far as I can tell. Had one fill-up of Shell V-power 91, it didn't feel right and I was nervous about it ... I'd rather not find out the hard way that it wants more. At this point I'm planning to run it on 94, and I can use 91 if I can't get 94 and need to get somewhere, but not riding hard ... I just finished resetting the valve clearances after putting about 1000 km on the engine (and deciding that I'd rather use Kawasaki's valve clearance specs than Web Camshafts much looser, excessively noisy specs), we'll see if that changes anything tomorrow.
whats funny is technically if you add a racing cam or a cam that has a higher lift and duration on the intake side, you are adding compression. so stock head with the .45 head gasket and racing intake cam, means you have more compression than if you just had the .45 gasket alone.

post #10 of 12 Old 06-30-2013, 10:05 PM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

Camshaft effects are not that straightforward. Your statement is correct at high revs (where the engine is "on the cam"), but not at low revs. A camshaft with a later intake valve closure will let out more of the charge that just went in, thus lowering the dynamic compression ratio at low revs (where detonation tends to be more prevalent).

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in