head lift stand question - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 11-26-2005, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

head lift stand question

Hey,
I picked up a DMP S-Spec Head Lift Stand and had a quick question.
Should the bike be 100% supported by the pin and the steering stem hole, or does the stand partially support the bike by the nose as well?
My stand seems to apply some pressure to the nose of my ZX10, under the headlights, about 1" back from the front of the nose. I think that my pin is too small.

Last edited by JodyH; 11-26-2005 at 03:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-26-2005, 03:43 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I don't think you want any weight supported by anything other than the pin.

Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is already made up.
post #3 of 18 Old 11-26-2005, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

A 0.61" rod is just a fraction too small to fit in the hole, the closest metric size is 16mm (0.63").
Is a 16mm pin the correct size for a '05 ZX10R?
If so, I'm going to have a machine shop turn one of my larger pins down to 16mm.

Last edited by JodyH; 11-26-2005 at 03:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 11-26-2005, 05:30 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
igot same stand and it came whit 6 pins

04 zx10r 14 vmax
post #5 of 18 Old 11-26-2005, 06:01 PM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeta xray
I don't think you want any weight supported by anything other than the pin.
you can potentially cause some major damage to plastics ram air duct etc
post #6 of 18 Old 11-26-2005, 07:34 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

I noticed the same problem with my PitBull stand...yes, the stand supports just under the headlights, if you don't get the pin all the way in...although I haven't had a problem when it isn't in perfectly and pushs up a bit on the headlights...my bike is always on an incline in my alley and that's the only way I can can use it...

post #7 of 18 Old 11-26-2005, 07:44 PM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Older Guy
I noticed the same problem with my PitBull stand...yes, the stand supports just under the headlights, if you don't get the pin all the way in...although I haven't had a problem when it isn't in perfectly and pushs up a bit on the headlights...my bike is always on an incline in my alley and that's the only way I can can use it...
OG, don't know if this is your problem but I started a thread awhile back about the same issue but my bike is lowered. I can't find the thread right now but the skippy of it was there was a trick to doing it right as I called Pit-Bull. It seems I needed to put the top arm in first with pin and then the lower raising lift and clamp together with the hitch pins. It worked, now I don't hit the front end and am lowered 3/4" in the front(which by the way is the limit, as I can almost touch) Give it a try or call Pit, maybe they can explain it better, but bottom line no need to do it in the alley
post #8 of 18 Old 11-26-2005, 07:50 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil
OG, don't know if this is your problem but I started a thread awhile back about the same issue but my bike is lowered. I can't find the thread right now but the skippy of it was there was a trick to doing it right as I called Pit-Bull. It seems I needed to put the top arm in first with pin and then the lower raising lift and clamp together with the hitch pins. It worked, now I don't hit the front end and am lowered 3/4" in the front(which by the way is the limit, as I can almost touch) Give it a try or call Pit, maybe they can explain it better, but bottom line no need to do it in the alley
Thanks...I'll call them...it would work better if the pin were a bit tapered so that it can slide in when the bike is on an incline...I think the problem is just that it is too hard to get the pin all the way in...

post #9 of 18 Old 11-26-2005, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by grego10r
igot same stand and it came whit 6 pins
Mine came with 5 pins, but two of them are exactly the same size so essentially I got 4 pins.
Rather than mess with calling them and waiting on a replacement I'm just going to have a local machine shop turn one of my larger pins down to 16mm.
Right after I noticed it was putting pressure on the nose I quit using the stand, that air intake is fragile enough without adding additional force on it.
Can anyone put some calipers to their pin and tell me exactly what size I should turn it down to? I'm guessing that 0.06299" (16mm) is correct, but would like some verification.
post #10 of 18 Old 11-26-2005, 09:39 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

hey ill see if I can get some pics of mine tomorrow. I have a front stand pitt bull. it is pin #2. this gives it about a inch or 2 between the bar and the nose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in