It Happened to me AGAIN! - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 Old 02-26-2010, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

It Happened to me AGAIN!

Last nite was riding my 08 ZX10R normally..doing about 80kmph..went to open it up a bit and the clutch slipped..went to shift..but i couldnt shift the gear was stuck in 3rd gear..could not upshift nor downshift..stopped the bike on the side of the road..played with the clutch cable thinking i needed to pull it a bit more, but i could only put it gear with the bike off. brought it home..opened it up, the clutch basket broke from the tip and @ least one clutch broke..there were pieces on a clutch.
this happened to me before
https://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=74242

Has this happened to anyone before or more than once?
When i did replace it the first time, i used a brand new OEM clutch basket and EBC Clutches/springs.
I dont understand why this is happening..the last time i was about to open it up it happened..this time same..The bike only has about 12000KMS and not abused. The last time i thought it was the poor choice of oil that caused that..but i was told here, its not the case, now the oil on the bike is due to be replaced..i havent done anything to the bike (mode wise) and other the the ocassional wheelie..its well taken care of.
Anyone know why or how to prevent this from happening?
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 02-26-2010, 07:52 AM
All show and all go 10r

Posting Frequency

wrong torque settings?
post #3 of 52 Old 02-26-2010, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlg0987 View Post
wrong torque settings?
Thanks for ur input, but i dont think that would be the case, as the wrong torque settings would have made worse damage, sooner than now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 Old 02-26-2010, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Some shots..

post #5 of 52 Old 02-26-2010, 09:12 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Normally what breaks the clutch basket is the broken clutch plate. The pieces can get caught between the inner, and outer basket and breaks it. Stop useing junk aftermarket clutch plates. You should never use anything but factory clutch plates. The EBC plates are weak, but they are not as bad as Barnett which are the biggest pieces of junk ever invented. Mike.
post #6 of 52 Old 02-26-2010, 09:16 AM
All show and all go 10r

Posting Frequency

Personally I find the 08s to have shitty transmissions. I pretty sure I'm going to have some major problems this year thank god I still have warrenty.
post #7 of 52 Old 02-26-2010, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by 880turbo View Post
Normally what breaks the clutch basket is the broken clutch plate. The pieces can get caught between the inner, and outer basket and breaks it. Stop useing junk aftermarket clutch plates. You should never use anything but factory clutch plates. The EBC plates are weak, but they are not as bad as Barnett which are the biggest pieces of junk ever invented. Mike.
I doubt that as the first time it happened, it had OEM clutches/plates/springs. The only reason i installed them was for longer life. I have installed these clutches on my 08 busa and my 06 Gixxer1000 and i have never had to look back, its only the ZX10R..I'm going to have to replace them, fine, but i would like to know what reason this happened and if its happened to ppl once or more who are 08 Zx10 owners.
the Dealership here is a waste of time and the only thing they maybe good @ it repairing generators they are not up to any standard @ all so im on my own on this, either that or take it to the Suzuki agent who are more reliable but ill have to pull some strings.
If you notice that the time frame between the two mishaps is not too long (05-08-2009) around 9 months later i'm back facing the same issue.. ( just thinking..9 months later it Pops..lol)
Could the Shift Rod have anything to do with this issue? I have read a thread here stating that there issues with the Factory Shift Rods.
post #8 of 52 Old 02-26-2010, 11:48 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

First time I heard someone have this problem on the 08. I can't imagin what have caused that mess, good luck putt'in it together.
post #9 of 52 Old 02-26-2010, 12:32 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Get a dragpack from Cycle Concepts. Better than OEM and will last longer too, oh and its cheaper

803-285-8093

His name is Dwayne,
post #10 of 52 Old 02-26-2010, 01:04 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to spikespiegel Send a message via Yahoo to spikespiegel
anyone that claims the 08 zx10r tranny is crap is on CRACK. I know a lot of people with the 08s and i've never heard any complaints re; the clutch breaking or tranny issues. I beat my bike on the track too, 12k miles and still orig clutch and everything.. Not sure what the issue is, hope you get it worked out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in