Gutting the 06-07 cat! - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 04-17-2008, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
BANNED

Posting Frequency

Gutting the 06-07 cat!

From those with actual experience, (yep I tried the search and there is far more pages than I want to read thru) what is the easiest or best way to gut the cat?

The reason I ask is I bought one of eBay along with the headers. My thinking is they will bolt on to the new 08. The new 08 has welded in cats. Since I got mint headers and a mint cat for $78.00 I figured it was worth a try to see if it will fit the 08. It appears it will.

With the 06 headers and gutted cat, along with a slip on I have already, I got a FULL system for less than 500 bucks that will probably perform close or close enough to a $2000.00 one. But then again, it may not.

OK Cat gutters, howd you do it?

Just stick something down in there and beat the sh!t out of it?

FWIW the 06-07 headers appears to have a cat that is not as large (surface area wise) as the 08.

Also, if anyone has a Arrow Cat Delete pipe they want to sell, PM me.

I may also try my 06 on the dyno, with and without a gutted cat next week, just to see if it really makes any difference. Just curios to know is all. If makes no difference, then why bother?

Thanks,

JJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-17-2008, 01:36 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

When I gutted my cat, I took a long flathead screwdriver and just started pounding away. It took me a good hour to get all that crap out of there. The stuff is unbelievably hard for being so light. I believe some guy on here actually cut his in half, gutted it, then welded it back together. Prolly cleaner, but more work than necessary. Good luck man....

Just my opinion, a gutted cat is not going to be the same as a full system, but it will be quite a bit better than just a slip-on.

What can I say...I like the factory bikes!
post #3 of 10 Old 04-17-2008, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
BANNED

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by nite-ryder View Post
When I gutted my cat, I took a long flathead screwdriver and just started pounding away. It took me a good hour to get all that crap out of there. The stuff is unbelievably hard for being so light. I believe some guy on here actually cut his in half, gutted it, then welded it back together. Prolly cleaner, but more work than necessary. Good luck man....

Just my opinion, a gutted cat is not going to be the same as a full system, but it will be quite a bit better than just a slip-on.
Actually I am planning on using the stock 06-07 headers, gutted cat AND a slip on. Not just the gutted cat. Thats a wide open pipe as I see it. I like the design of the stock headers, they also are Titanium.

06-07 Stock headers / Gutted Cat or cat delete / Area P slip on (eliminates boom box as well)

Thats the combination I am going to try on my 08. I can't see why that wouldn't work good.

JJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-17-2008, 02:26 PM

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by nite-ryder View Post

did you bash out the welded plate in the cat where the pipes merge ?
post #5 of 10 Old 04-17-2008, 02:53 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJam View Post
Actually I am planning on using the stock 06-07 headers, gutted cat AND a slip on. Not just the gutted cat. Thats a wide open pipe as I see it. I like the design of the stock headers, they also are Titanium.

06-07 Stock headers / Gutted Cat or cat delete / Area P slip on (eliminates boom box as well)

Thats the combination I am going to try on my 08. I can't see why that wouldn't work good.

JJ

I'm not familiar with the 08 exhaust system at all. The Mid pipe on the 06 contains the catalytic converter. If I remember right, it's a two to one pipe. There are two separate pipes that contain that that material. I just punched out the material in the two spots. I didn't break out any weld, as I didn't see anywhere to punch it out.

I'm not saying it won't work well....I'm just saying that it's not going to be as smooth as a full exhaust system. It was my assumption that most aftermarket headers are larger than stock and allow more air-flow. I could be wrong....

What can I say...I like the factory bikes!
post #6 of 10 Old 04-17-2008, 03:07 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJam View Post

JJ
when i gutted my old cat i used a drill with a long drill bit and hollowed away. You will also use a long screwdriver to punch out the honeycomb. Be sure you have a mask with a filter on it or you will inhale the hazardous materials into your lungs.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-17-2008, 03:52 PM

Posting Frequency

Keep us updated in terms of dyno numbers, I did the same thing you are describing but have not had a chance to really get it on the road yet. Fairly simple project...I used a hole saw on a drill with an extension. You can buy a hole saw bit that is very similar in size to the factory piping. Nice clean cut and its out.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-17-2008, 05:43 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Damn..it there's a great post with fricken pictures from another guy and I did the same thing (can't find it). I pulled the pipe out, used a door jam drill and another regular bit and just worked like a bitch getting it out. It took an hour or so to rip it all out on both sides...

~Drain Fade
'06 Ebony Black, Supersonic Sport Tourer
A ton of shit....I want the farkles of a Gold Wing on a 150HP bike just over 400lbs ;)
Have a VFR, ZX9R or ZX10R, check out http://drainfade.com
post #9 of 10 Old 04-17-2008, 05:45 PM

Posting Frequency

drill + ft long paddle bit + 7mins 26 seconds later = gutted cat.

took it off the bike, 6 allen head screws on the front and the ass end slips into the exhaust...
post #10 of 10 Old 04-17-2008, 06:21 PM

Posting Frequency

I did mine just last week following a thread on here, i used a 18mm width spade drill bit with an extension.
It drilled out easily, and i tapped the rest out with a wide flat blade screwdriver.
Differences?
Only things i've been able to pick out is i can now detect the odd backfire, and a very slight change/increase in the exhaust note, it's deeper now.

IMHO the stuff that's in there doesnę look that restrictive anyway, i'll need to dyno it again to catch any changes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in