GP Shift on '06 ZX10 -- Just got it converted (pics) - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 Old 04-17-2006, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Lightbulb GP Shift on '06 ZX10 -- Just got it converted (pics)

So I've been thinking about this for quite a while after riding my buddy's Honda with GP shift thanks to his Vortex rearsets... It seemed more natural to me to tap down to a higher gear rather than pry the lever with my toes especially when you cranked over or at max throttle. There is something about my large boot twitching to get under that the shifter that upsets the whole bike... What about downshifting? Well, typically you are on your brakes and moving around anyways so it would not matter (to me at least)...

I am a cheap skate and did not want any expensive rear sets (the stock ones fit just fine), so this evening I sat down and spent 10 minutes to mod the shift pattern to 1 up and 5 down . It ended up working all too well :) There was some minor cutting involved but if someone points it out to you saying your bike has imperfections, just kick them in the nutz and send them off to the Harley dealer with a buket of chrome polish...

So I took the little bold out turned the thing around to where the shifter felt best for my foot and then tagged the rod that sticks out of the tranny with a new notch to match the crack on the shifter lever calmp assemply (notice it was not directly across from the original mark).

-Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 04-17-2006, 09:41 PM

Posting Frequency

looks like an easy mod. how long does it take to get used to?
post #3 of 41 Old 04-17-2006, 09:44 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

took me a couple times out on the bike but way easier to shift when going fast!...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 Old 04-17-2006, 09:52 PM

Posting Frequency

gp shifting is quite cool. i was on a 98 r1 for a bit that had it, and have ridden my buddy's 2004 750 with it. much more comfy in turns and what not. though, it is shitty getting used to it. the first time you down shift when you think you're upshifting (especially on a liter bike) can give you quite a scare

zook owners have it easy, all we have to do is turn our shift rod upside down :)

have you taken it to the track like that yet? it's much nicer :)
post #5 of 41 Old 04-17-2006, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

I just swapped it so I don't know how long it will take. I'm hoping a couple of road trips... i definitely is much easier when on the gas (tested up to buck-50 today :)

-Nick
post #6 of 41 Old 04-17-2006, 10:12 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to SpeedyCorky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer Vixxen
gp shifting is quite cool. but the first time you down shift when you think you're upshifting (especially on a liter bike) can give you quite a scare

i changed to GP shifting about 2 years ago - and i'll never go back. i learned to ride on standard shift and every once in a while i'll find myself shifting the wrong way when i brain fart. but since now i'm so used to GP shift, downshifting making a mistake like that is something that you notice quicky and usually arnt so stupid/slow that you remember to not release the clutch - then all is OK.

simply being able to left off the gas and simply tap the lever really makes it a lot easier to upshift, especcially when going fast. and for me, it makes more sence GP style when upshifting by clicking up, because you want your RPMs to go up.

all personal preference tho...

oh yea and btw: that install looks identical to that of what you do for the 04-05 zx10R - just in case there are any questions 'bout that

- SpeedyCorky (stoppie addict) aka Charlie

* Support NASA!!! They are currently our only hope in getting off this rock. Help SETI find ET!!!
* The race is long, and in the end - it's only with yourself.
* In real life, the tortoise gets smoked.
post #7 of 41 Old 04-17-2006, 10:24 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

On the track it was fun! shifting was much more effortless but as said before you find yourself every once in awhile shifting the wrong way....something that's slowly going away
post #8 of 41 Old 04-17-2006, 10:24 PM

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyCorky
i changed to GP shifting about 2 years ago - and i'll never go back. i learned to ride on standard shift and every once in a while i'll find myself shifting the wrong way when i brain fart. but since now i'm so used to GP shift, downshifting making a mistake like that is something that you notice quicky and usually arnt so stupid/slow that you remember to not release the clutch - then all is OK.

simply being able to left off the gas and simply tap the lever really makes it a lot easier to upshift, especcially when going fast. and for me, it makes more sence GP style when upshifting by clicking up, because you want your RPMs to go up.

all personal preference tho...

oh yea and btw: that install looks identical to that of what you do for the 04-05 zx10R - just in case there are any questions 'bout that
oh for sure. it's not a difficult or time consuming thing to get used to. you'll only mis-shift once or twice. (only once if you're really romping on it, you learn the lesson quite quickly)
post #9 of 41 Old 04-17-2006, 10:30 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

i like it also, easier on WOT shifting IMO

"Lead, Follow, or get the hell outta my way!!"

Blue 2004 ZX-10R
- 152.5rwhp 77.6rwtq - more than I need

Red 2003 Jack ROUSH Classic #8 of 50
- 375rwhp 381rwtq
post #10 of 41 Old 04-17-2006, 11:08 PM
???
BANNED

Posting Frequency

saw a guy that had it done on his 06 and didn't have the plastic cut..he said the only thing that rubbed for him was the rubber boot.

i haven't tried on mine yet, just something to check out before you cut. maybe you don't have to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in