Got the replacement bolts from Sato... - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 01-25-2005, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Got the replacement bolts from Sato...

Got my replacement bolts from Sato today. Not happy with them. Two of them appeared to be better sampless (the two that hold the master cylinder to the right rearset), one is marginal, but better than the original (the one I really needed replaced... the one that holds the heim to the shift pedal... that fell out because I couldn't tighten it), and two are just like the originals were (the two that hold the ankle guard to the left rearset). They didn't send any other bolts (didn't really need any of the others so that was cool) or a replacement collar for the one that fell out with the shift heim bolt.

They basically said in their last reply that their fasteners were top notch and that they recommended "professional installation" of their products, which tells me that they're prepared to say I'm the problem if these don't work. Yeah, I've only been turnin' bolts on cars, trucks, and bikes for, what, 20 years now? Not saying I can't make mistakes, but I do know junk bolts when I see/use them. Well, I'll save them the hassle of avoiding blame and denying fault in their fasteners. I'm going to find replacement fasteners on my own and throw the Sato bolts in the garbage. Just wanted to update everyone on it since I posted in my original thread about the problem. I'll try to take some close up shots of the bolt heads and update the install thread when I have time. Gotta hit the bed so I can get up at 4:00 for work...

Anyway, I still think their rearsets (the base plates, step plates, and pegs) are great pieces. Absolutely top notch in fit, finish, and function. Just be prepared to find/buy your own fasteners if you buy Sato rearsets and don't like what they send with them. Well, that or find a "professional" that can outsmart their fasteners. Kinda sucks seein' as how I paid what I paid for the Sato pieces expecting top notch quality throughout. Oh well, I'll live. I've paid more for less in the past I guess...

--
"Bottom line, when I'm on that bike, it's just me and God...And He better be holding on."- Stillie on SSB

Si vis pacem, para bellum...

El Diablo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-25-2005, 09:51 PM

Posting Frequency

that's a bummer... I didn't have any problems with any of their fasteners.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-25-2005, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeech
that's a bummer... I didn't have any problems with any of their fasteners.
Looks like maybe a QC issue from the bolt manufacturer. Like I said, two of the new ones were good, unlike the originals. One was better, but still not "right", and two were the same. Looks kinda like pot luck. You may get good ones and you may not. Out of two sets I've not been very lucky.

--
"Bottom line, when I'm on that bike, it's just me and God...And He better be holding on."- Stillie on SSB

El Diablo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-25-2005, 11:41 PM

Posting Frequency

I think I got a good batch. All tightened up to spec without any issues. Now I just need to flip that one heel guard....I knew I'd have to fuck up at least one thing!
post #5 of 8 Old 01-26-2005, 07:25 AM

Posting Frequency

If putting the heel guard on upside down is the worst of it, then I would consider it a successful install.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-26-2005, 08:42 AM
MIA Post Whore

Posting Frequency

El D- Just out of curiousity, are you using ball end hex drivers? I've found that they can tear up a hex bolt that's the slightest bit soft in a quick hurry.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-26-2005, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by miykl
El D- Just out of curiousity, are you using ball end hex drivers? I've found that they can tear up a hex bolt that's the slightest bit soft in a quick hurry.

Good point but I don't even own ball end hex/allen wrenches.

--

El Diablo
post #8 of 8 Old 01-26-2005, 07:08 PM

Posting Frequency

Heel guard fixed today. Then I found I lost my first bolt nut. My license plate bracket (aftermarket) that I replaced the stock one with dropped a nut. luckily the other side stayed in place. Time to go through the entire bike and tighten stuff up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in