Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Good Torque Wrench?

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  lucifer 
#1 ·
:dontknow: I am pretty ignorant when it comes to tools, so what would be a good torque wrench and where could I get on from. What is the best for the buck. Would 10 to 75ft.lbs be good enough? Thanks for your help.

#2 ·
10 to 75 won't be enough for your rear axle nut, among other things. I've got a $150 snap-on wrench (probably $300 by now), a $75 crafstman wrench, and a $20 NAPA wrench. They all work about the same. Even though arguably less accurate, I do like the micrometer/click-type wrenches better. You don't have to try to read the scale while tightening the bolt.
I would try to get something that goes to at *least* 100ft-lbs.
If you decide to get an in-lb wrench as well, I'd spend more money there as the measurements are much smaller.. so the error factor must be as well.

#4 ·
That would make a good wrench for general maintainance. Craftsman are decent tools. If you're talking about internal engine/tranny work, I'd buy something a little better and have it calibrated, but I'm sure the craftsman is accurate enough for routine stuff. I'd love to know the accuracy tolerances for different wrenches when new. I'd be willing to bet they're +- 1-2lbs or less.

#5 ·
I was told that craftsman DOES NOT warranty the click type wrenches (no replacement or calibration) and to buy the older style and trade it in each year for a new one. This was told to me by a SEARS employee, so it is what I'm doing.

#9 ·
I bought a 3/8" Snap-On digital torque wrench Model # TECH2FR100 and I love it.

You can acutally watch the torque to see how it rises as you turn the wrench, and then it gives an audible beep and vibrates when you hit your target.

It came with a Certificate of Calibration, here is what is says.

Clockwise Torque (Tolerance: +/- 2%)
Target 20.00 ft-lb
Actual 19.92 -0.4%

Target 60.00 ft-lb
Actual 59.55 -0.8%

Target 100.00 ft-lb
Actual 99.45 -0.6%

Counterclockwise Torque (Tolerance: +/- 3%)
Target 20.00 ft-lb
Actual 19.98 -0.1%

Target 60.00 ft-lb
Actual 59.5 -0.8%

Target 100.00 ft-lb
Actual 99.21 -0.8%

#14 ·
Snap-on does not warranty torque wrenches after 1 year. Pretty much any torque wrench has a limited warranty. I have been eye-ing that electronic 3/8ths drive wrench for a couple weeks, but after years of bad experiences with snap-on electronics, I am weary. I wouldn't fret about accuracy too much, you need a 3/8ths wrench up to 80-100 ft/lbs and a 1/2" drive up to 250 or so. For small stuff you micght want a 1/4 drive for doing stuff up to 180 inch/lbs but there ain't much that really requires such precision on a motorcycle engine. The accuracy thing is over rated, give or take a couple foot lbs isn't going to really matter unless you're an aircraft mechanic. FYI I am an auto technician.

#15 ·
lucifer said:
<snip>...The accuracy thing is over rated, give or take a couple foot lbs isn't going to really matter unless you're an aircraft mechanic. FYI I am an auto technician.
Good point Lucifer, I guess that's why all the torque specs have a range, and not just a value.:badteeth:

#16 ·
Actaully some torque specs do have a range, but if your oil plug's torque spec is 25 ft/lbs and yor wrench is 10% off 22.5 lbs isn't going to cause any problems. Most torque specs are based on the general stud size of the fastener unless there is a crush due to an aluminum washer as used on banjo fittings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.