Glowing exhaust,no power. - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 07-25-2012, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Glowing exhaust,no power.

Bike is a 06 with roughly 10000 miles. Bike was running fine the other night until I decided to make a high speed run (150 +). As I was slowing down I noticed the exhaust tone had changed. When I came to a stop it felt like the bike had developed a miss.At low rpms it was sluggish.Once I hit 3500 it ran normal. I pulled plugs and they were shot so I put some new ones in. The miss is still there and now bike wants to pop and backfire. Rode it for about a mile and bike has no power through all rpms and noticed a nice orange glow coming from exhaust starting at cats and going past where it makes the upwards turn towards factory cans. I'm thinking cats may be clogged and will check coils with ohm meter in a few. Have already checked all connections and will recheck the gap on plugs when I check the coil sticks. Anything else to check?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-25-2012, 10:08 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Check and see if your exhaust servo is working as well if you have on that bike.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-25-2012, 10:18 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Something's plugged. :) Cats or flap.

Attack life... it's going to kill you anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-25-2012, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Exhaust flap moves from what I can tell from the outside,can see through honeycomb on one side of cat,most of it is missing on the other side. Also getting loud backfire out exhaust. Whats the chance of the material from the missing side of cat clogging the flap?

Just thought about the flap being clogged and reliazed it wouldn't matter since it's still running crappy with the cat section off the bike. I'll test coils after work tomorrow. Maybe valves need adjusted? Could bad gas be causing this much trouble. It seems to run worse since I changed the plugs though.

Last edited by Grimmzx10; 07-25-2012 at 11:05 PM.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-26-2012, 12:03 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

It could be the fuel pump has gone bad and it's starving the engine of fuel.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-26-2012, 01:09 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Exhaust valves? I know it only has 10k miles but how has it been ridden?
post #7 of 10 Old 07-26-2012, 02:18 AM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmzx10 View Post
Exhaust flap moves from what I can tell from the outside,can see through honeycomb on one side of cat,most of it is missing on the other side. Also getting loud backfire out exhaust. Whats the chance of the material from the missing side of cat clogging the flap?

Just thought about the flap being clogged and reliazed it wouldn't matter since it's still running crappy with the cat section off the bike. I'll test coils after work tomorrow. Maybe valves need adjusted? Could bad gas be causing this much trouble. It seems to run worse since I changed the plugs though.
So you were running the bike straight pipe with the Cat pulled and all? Just checking, not flaming. If not , easiest way is to pull the servo cables and itll hold the flap open.

Hows the air filter? If its clogged, the afterburn you could be experiencing could be excess fuel getting burned up in the exhaust system. Or the intake tract as a whole?

08 ZX6R Radial M/C ZG Sport Touring Windscreen CBR600RR Calipers BMC Street Filter
GP Shift Pattern DIY Mod Fender Eliminator Kit 16/44 Gearing Euro Flushmount Signals
Gauge Cluster Color DIY ModSoupy's Fully Adjustable Lowering Links HEL Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
post #8 of 10 Old 07-26-2012, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

No I wasn't running bike without cats. Took them off then started bike and it ran the same. Maybe 1000 miles on K&N air filter. I can hear fuel pump kick on and a real high pitch noise but it has always been there. Bike has been rode normal except for a few top speed runs. The run that I made when this started was to shift light light in sixth gear. How hard is it to adjust valves on this bike.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-26-2012, 07:48 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

the bike is running lean, i would check spark at all cylinders

Candy Burnt Orange
Pazzo Levers Black w/gold buttons, Hotbodies windscreen, smoked lights, BMC filter, Akro Mid pipe, Hotbodies MGP Exhaust, Solo cowl, PCV w/racefit tune, awaiting dyno tune, 6k HIDs, Butterflies removed, Clear alternatives smoked taillight
U.S. Army Vet

2009 Monster Ed. ZX6R track bike!!!
Hotbodies track bodywork, Two Bros Slip on, butterflies removed.

OBAMA FOR ANOTHER FOUR!!!
post #10 of 10 Old 07-30-2012, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

All coils check out perfect. Plugs gapped in spec. Fuel comes out of tank fine. Out of ideas. Think maybe valves need adjusted or how hard is it to get #1 and #2 plugs wiring swapped?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in