GIPro Wrong gear problems - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 08-05-2007, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

GIPro Wrong gear problems

I just installed my GIPro a couple of days ago, but I'm having problems with the indicator showing 6th gear. I had a problem with the stock settings, and even after I recalibrated the unit as per the instructions, 6th gear doesn't show up. The display just goes dead on 6th. When I am calibrating it though, it shows the gear just fine.

Also, on the TRE feature setting #1 (hard) the bike has very poor acceleration before 6000 RPM, after which it just hits hard and pulls hard till redline. It just seems very underpowered before 6000 RPM. Setting #2 (soft) works with no problems.

If you guys have had similar problems, chime in, I'd love to see what you did to fix it.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 08-05-2007, 10:39 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Mine is similar... When cruising in 6th the display goes off. I kinda figured that it was normal. I thought that since you will be in 6th for a while it just disappears so it won't stay on continually.

As far as the wrong gear indicated...same thing with mine. Even when you "teach" it, it occasionally shows the wrong gear,no biggie.

I don't like the "hard" setting either..it seemed like when in 6th and the light went off, the throttle response was real funky. Some guys liked the setting though.

Your unit is doing what mine is doing so I'd say once you find a setting you like,,go with it.

قودبيي فتهر
post #3 of 21 Old 08-05-2007, 10:45 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to dbltakeZX10 Send a message via Yahoo to dbltakeZX10
Gipro Problems

Sorry to hear about ur problems. But i got another question??
I just got mine installed. I have no tank on the bike rite now cuz its getting painted.

Here is my Question??
I cant start the bike cuz no tank, does the girpo power up and work with the key in on position, Or does the bike have to be started for it to work.???

all the wires are connected and when i put it on the on position it wont power on. when i first connect it to the batter it comes on for a split second, then it goes off in bout 10 sec. I take the key out and put it on the on position and it wont turn on. What am i doing wrong.

sorry for the jibberish. please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 08-05-2007, 11:22 PM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbltakeZX10 View Post
Sorry to hear about ur problems. But i got another question??
I just got mine installed. I have no tank on the bike rite now cuz its getting painted.

Here is my Question??
I cant start the bike cuz no tank, does the girpo power up and work with the key in on position, Or does the bike have to be started for it to work.???

all the wires are connected and when i put it on the on position it wont power on. when i first connect it to the batter it comes on for a split second, then it goes off in bout 10 sec. I take the key out and put it on the on position and it wont turn on. What am i doing wrong.

sorry for the jibberish. please help
No the bike does not have to be started to program or work...check your connections again.

For you other guys yes the 6th and 5th gear indication is tricky because they share such a close Voltage and can fool the Electronics what gear it is actually in(if it varies to much) but you should see at least one of those gears displayed no matter if your in 6th or 5th. If 6th gear is not showing even after the learn function is performed on the stand then email the tech at

[email protected]

I believe they have a 2yr Warranty but email them first and give good details on your install as well.

bloo
post #5 of 21 Old 08-06-2007, 06:32 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
to what bluedevil said. My '06 shows 6th gear all the time when I'm cruising around.

Also, the #1 Hard setting is for bikes with custom fuel mapping (i.e.- PowerCommander installed). It should not be used for a stock motor, and it sounds like that's why you think it's "soft" below 6000rpm. Either get your bike re-mapped to account for the GIPro #1 setting, or leave it in #2.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #6 of 21 Old 08-06-2007, 07:16 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

ive had no problem with mine.......................

Bikes
1995 RGV250
1997 ZX7R
1999 YZFR1
2001 KTM 250 EXC
2006 BLK 10R
2012 KTM 250 SXF
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do."
post #7 of 21 Old 08-07-2007, 03:46 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
I'm having the same probs with the GIPRO on my 04 10R. I've doublechecked all contacts and pins, rerouted the cables, changed the gear position switch got the GIPRO replaced under warranty and still have the problem that the gears aren't shown correctly. The lower gears are mostly indicated correctly, gears 4 to 6 tend to flicker and often the wrong gear is displayed.
I must say the support by healtech is extremely good, Norbert really is trying to help solve the problem and responds almost instantly to my mails!
The next step will be to try to measure the voltage of the GPS in each of the gears and to determine if there is any fluctuation.

As for the moment I guess the GPS isn't providing a constant voltage thus making it difficult for the GIPRO to identify the gear selected.

Has by chance anyone had the same problem and has found a solution?

Only green is really mean! 1984 GPZ 900R & 2004 ZX10R => 20 years of NINJA power
post #8 of 21 Old 08-07-2007, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

That's really annoying. It seems I may have the same problem as you. My next step was to check the voltages output by the GPS as well, but I didn't want it to come to that. I think I'll try to recalibrate the GIPro a couple of times before I go and check voltages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawiralph View Post
I'm having the same probs with the GIPRO on my 04 10R. I've doublechecked all contacts and pins, rerouted the cables, changed the gear position switch got the GIPRO replaced under warranty and still have the problem that the gears aren't shown correctly. The lower gears are mostly indicated correctly, gears 4 to 6 tend to flicker and often the wrong gear is displayed.
I must say the support by healtech is extremely good, Norbert really is trying to help solve the problem and responds almost instantly to my mails!
The next step will be to try to measure the voltage of the GPS in each of the gears and to determine if there is any fluctuation.

As for the moment I guess the GPS isn't providing a constant voltage thus making it difficult for the GIPRO to identify the gear selected.

Has by chance anyone had the same problem and has found a solution?
post #9 of 21 Old 08-07-2007, 11:16 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
That's really annoying. It seems I may have the same problem as you. My next step was to check the voltages output by the GPS as well, but I didn't want it to come to that. I think I'll try to recalibrate the GIPro a couple of times before I go and check voltages.
In my case recalibrating only made things even worse. Often it wasn't even possible to calibrate the gears 4 and up. Thats also one of the reasons why I reckon that the GPS isn't supplying constant voltages.
That would meen we only have to find out why our GPS fluctuates more than others. The only part I haven't replaced so far is the spring loaded pin that actuates the GPS when shifting. Even if I can't see how, maybe that pin has some effect even when just "sitting" there?

Only green is really mean! 1984 GPZ 900R & 2004 ZX10R => 20 years of NINJA power
post #10 of 21 Old 08-07-2007, 11:44 PM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawiralph View Post
In my case recalibrating only made things even worse. Often it wasn't even possible to calibrate the gears 4 and up. Thats also one of the reasons why I reckon that the GPS isn't supplying constant voltages.
That would meen we only have to find out why our GPS fluctuates more than others. The only part I haven't replaced so far is the spring loaded pin that actuates the GPS when shifting. Even if I can't see how, maybe that pin has some effect even when just "sitting" there?
you might be on to something there. I can tell you the GPS voltages do fluctuate and Herbert from from HealTech told me that's why they have a .3sec delay to stop any flickering. In the many months I owned a GiPro it never flickered but was not perfect for the 5th-6th gear depending on RPM.

The Gear Indicator I built and sold on this site does not have the advance electronics and does flicker at times if voltages varies, but also there is NO DELAY that your brain can see(fastest Gear Indicator because it doesn't sample just displays a gear depending on voltage)..but I have to use a manual switch to turn the TRE off.... but have adjustable resistors to help vary the Voltage Window Readings inputs on my Unit for 5th and 6th Gears to fine tune it.

To sum everything up I think all aftermarket Gear Indicators have their pluses and minuses depending on what is important to you. The GiPro seems to be the best out of the box so far compared to my unit but it's not the fastest or the smallest display, and don't believe as adjustable if to many are having problems in the learn function but the GiPro is more user friendly to adjust than my unit.

btw..the member I sold my GiPro too said all went well and was happy with it just like many other members reported.

bloo

Last edited by bluedevil; 08-07-2007 at 11:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in