Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Gillies Chain adjuster???

2K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  treyzx10r 
#1 ·
A few months ago I put Gillies rear-sets (Gold) on my 04 and I am contimplating the matching chain adjusters.

I am interested in them mainly for cosmetic reasons, but haven't made up my mind yet. Does anyone have any experience with these? Are they a useful mod or what?

Thanks for your thoughts!

#4 ·
I have had the ones on my 04 loosen up on me a couple of times, which I can not explain, because the ones on my 06 have worked flawless and they are pretty much the same. Really had to crank down on the axle nut to get the chain to say in adjustment, like 100Ft lbs plus, probably not the best thing for the wheel bearings and spacers.

#5 ·
that's not a good thing 100ft lbs, in fact for less resistance I run about 65ft lbs for drag racing and I think the book says 85ft lbs....you can really tell the difference between the 2 settings and I can only wonder what 100ft-lbs is doing.:badteeth:

#14 · (Edited)
I liked them. I did not drill the swing arm when installing (did not use them as lift points like Trey).

The gold color does match the Kawai gold on the bike, but if you're going aftermarket rear sets you'd have to purchase Gilles gold rear sets to continue to match. Sato's gold rear sets and the Gilles chain adjusters looked goofy together on my bike, so I swapped to Sato black rear sets.

The Gilles are not needed, but I thought they were way cool. You will get amazing accurate asjustments to your chain... but if you like me you do this maybe one a year.

**And ya just gotta do the 520 coversion with DID gold chain at the same time.

http://www.circusnuts.com/rr1.jpg

HTH
Phil

#18 ·
Thanks for your input. I already have the gold rearsets on and that is why I was initially looking at the chain adjusters. I just wanted to see hear what others thought about them. I have decided to buy them.

Can you tell me what the advantages of the 520 conversion are? Is it worth buy sprockets and a new chain?

Thanks!

#20 ·
i would feel better tapping it personally the clamp thing seems like a cheap way to do it (no offense)

but i would also get very squeamish about tapping my swing arm

they look cool though

#22 ·
Don't own them, but by looking at the pic one huge advantage I see is that the Giles adjusters push the axle bolt forward therefore I would think the chain adjustment would be much simpler and quicker to do???????????????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.