Gilles rearset oem position - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 04-21-2006, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Gilles rearset oem position

Hi Guys,
Just got some Gilles Rearsets.
My question is, does anyone know what the standard position is, ie to place them as the stock positions. The instructions are hopeless as well !.
Would it be that the position they are set to out of the box IS the stock bike position or is that wishfull thinking.
I had a search on the board, but couldn't see anything regarding this.

P.S just got the chain adjusters and lifters installed, they are the dogs !.

Thanks in Advanced.
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-21-2006, 03:55 PM

Posting Frequency

I just installed mine. You got instructions? I got a little foldout with pictures you need the Hubble telescope to read. Position out of the box is Waaaaaaayyyyyy too far back. At least mine were. I started with center row, second from the top. Good luck with the rear brake spring.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-22-2006, 03:37 AM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Hi Fenris,
Yes Got instructions, if you can call it that, even my coke bottle glasses can't see them properly. Ok will try your suggested position mate, thanks.
I will chicken out and do the gear side first !!, and read some more posts regarding the brake side before I start.
I think its a bit of a liberty these instructions, considering how much these things cost me in UK (254 pounds).
I was lucky actually that the dealer fitted the chain adjusters and lifters for me for free cos I have bought a fair bit from them, but were too busy to be able to fit the rearsets as well. you should see the chain adjusters instructions if you think the rearsets is bad !!.

Cheers
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-22-2006, 05:36 AM

Posting Frequency

They only take about 40 minutes to install if you take your time. Do the Shifter side first. The brake side is not a big deal once you figure out that the two springs on the stock unit are replaced by the small one with the new unit. Then you can discover that its almost impossible to get the spring adjusted so the brake light works right ALL the time. Then after spending more time on the brake light switch than the rest of the rearsets combined... You simply remove the spring say to yourself "the light works with the front brake, thats all I need". I tried them out today. They shift super smooth.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-22-2006, 03:47 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Mine were pretty close to stock when I bolted them on. Maybe set farther back. May wanna just move them forward and see what ya get. I ended up moving them all the way back and up. Just perfect now. The chain adjusters are sweet aren't they. Prolly one of the best investments you can make.

BIKES IS GOOD.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-23-2006, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Hi Guys,
fitted the gilles rearsets yesterday. In the end just used them centred vertically and 2 rows back from front on horizontal, that seemed to equate with stock when i did a quick comparison before fitting. Like you said, wasn't too bad in the end just took my time. used bloo lockite stick on the threads. As previous posts, these bolts are soft, very nearly rounded off, i set the torque qauge at about 24 and pulled slowly, I reckon it clicked a ball hair before it would have rounded off !. Fenris, yeah I never saw your post re the brake light switch till after i did the job !, was fun, it needed to be screwed right down to the bottom to switch the light off !, and as you say, it is just a ball hair from switching on. the spring is a little short i think because the rearsets are centred and its tight like that. I could move the rearsets up of course, but I already feel like a jockey!.
Agree with the shifting, what a difference, I would not have believed it, its a dream now, very slick, like a different bike.
Will post up some pics in the gallery.

All the best
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in