Gen 1: 2004-2005 Gi Pro Inaccurate! - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 07-09-2014, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Gi Pro Inaccurate!

Has anyone ever had a problem with there GiPro gear indicator?
bought used from a forum member.
It seems to work fine in 1,2 but beyond that it's right about 50% of the time.. off by one gear. It will read 5th when in 6th, 4th may read 3 or 5, same for the rest. never reads blank and is never off by more then 1.

Other
I have a speed healer also made by healtech. and 16 tooth front. stock rear gearing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-09-2014, 01:36 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Have you reprogrammed it? The Gen 1s require the GI pro to be put into learning mode. Download the instruction manual for it and follow the procedure.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #3 of 9 Old 07-12-2014, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

tried reprograming it.. worse then ever.. the programing was difficult, had to do it 6 times, it would flash the gear and move to the next gear before I could get it to the last gear.. In the end I had to move really fast to get it there.. but now it says 6th and then goes blank and 3 up is all over the map! I'm using a stand tried both with engine on and engine off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 07-12-2014, 08:49 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

it says if you run a speedo healer, that you could have problems with correct gear display. on the healtech site, it explains how to program the unit to fix your issue. if you follow the directions it does work. Ski

May we all, get to have a chance to ride the fast one, walk away wiser when we crash one, keep hopin that the best one is the last one.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-12-2014, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooboy View Post
it says if you run a speedo healer, that you could have problems with correct gear display. on the healtech site, it explains how to program the unit to fix your issue. if you follow the directions it does work. Ski
Did I not just explain that I followed there instructions (section 5.3) and it failed! 6 times I followed it and it failed!

do you have a different set of instructions?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dvhtpytgtn...rsGuide_en.pdf

Last edited by Caffeine; 07-12-2014 at 09:47 PM.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-13-2014, 06:20 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

sorry you are having problems but, you dont have to be nasty to anyone trying to help. the pdf you are showing us says, this set of instructions is for a Suzuki.

Try this one for the 04+ zx10r http://www.healtech-electronics.com/...rsGuide_en.pdf

you also said you tried it with both the engine off, and the engine on. this lead me to believe you didnt have, or didnt read the manual.

my non tre gear indicator instructions are a little different. i have 3 of these, 2 GiPro's, and 1 Xtype. both the GiPro's were plug and play, no issues. the X type needed programming. i set up the xtype on our road, while riding.

http://healtech-electronics.com/docs..._Manual_en.pdf

http://healtech-electronics.com/docs...rsGuide_en.pdf

take it off the stands, and go do this on a quiet street. it is ALOT easier to do this on a bike that is moving, v.s one on the stands. just be VERY CAREFUL. Ski

May we all, get to have a chance to ride the fast one, walk away wiser when we crash one, keep hopin that the best one is the last one.

Last edited by skidooboy; 07-13-2014 at 06:40 AM.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-13-2014, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooboy View Post
sorry you are having problems but, you dont have to be nasty to anyone trying to help. the pdf you are showing us says, this set of instructions is for a Suzuki.

Try this one for the 04+ zx10r http://www.healtech-electronics.com/...rsGuide_en.pdf

you also said you tried it with both the engine off, and the engine on. this lead me to believe you didnt have, or didnt read the manual.

my non tre gear indicator instructions are a little different. i have 3 of these, 2 GiPro's, and 1 Xtype. both the GiPro's were plug and play, no issues. the X type needed programming. i set up the xtype on our road, while riding.

http://healtech-electronics.com/docs..._Manual_en.pdf

http://healtech-electronics.com/docs...rsGuide_en.pdf

take it off the stands, and go do this on a quiet street. it is ALOT easier to do this on a bike that is moving, v.s one on the stands. just be VERY CAREFUL. Ski
sorry for the tone, I'm very frustrated but that's no reason to take it out on someone who's trying to help me. I emailed Healtech last night (Saturday about 10pm) to my amazement I had a reply about 10 minutes latter.

Please go through this check list:

1) At first, please execute the Learning procedure with the bike on stand and engine RUNNING.
Make sure you see the "U" flashing after selecting 6th gear.
For setup instructions, refer to chapter 5.3 of the Manual:
http://www.healtech-electronics.com/...rsGuide_en.pdf

2) Disconnect the connectors, and make sure all connector pins are in place - not bent or pushed out of position.
Spray some contact cleaner, e.g. WD40 into the plugs.
Then reconnect and check whether all connectors are locked properly.

3) Re-route the GIpro harness on a different path, farther away from other electric cables.

4) If you can not complete the Learning process, or some gears are still indicated incorrectly, most likely your GP Sensor is
failing.

FYI, the 04/05 ZX10R has very unreliable GP sensor. It's a design issue with the sensor but the replacement sensor from Kawasaki
work fine.
Please order a replacement sensor from your local Kawasaki dealer and the unit should work fine.

Kind Regards,
/Norbert
www.healtech-electronics.com

Side note: I have found that setting the unit to default works better then the "Learn" but I am going to look into replacing the GP Sensor
post #8 of 9 Old 07-20-2014, 12:52 PM
SFW
Squid

Posting Frequency

Hi there,

This problem sounds exact like the one I had with my GIpro indicator.

The problem lies in the shift drum............... yes the shift drum !
The way GIpro works it's reading the walues from the gear position switch which is basiclly different resistor for each gear. The current runs from ECU throu the gear position switch but then grounds throu the shift drum.
Shift drum is a large metal part theat touches other metal parts and the resistance should be very low but then I messured mine with multimeter it was all over the place.... jumping from 1 Ohm to few hundreds ohm, if you put some pressure on the shift drum like pressing on the shift lever then it shows reliable reading. Specially in higher gears the difference between gears becomes less so those gears are more affected to be displayed wrong.
My theory is that oil deposits act like an insulator and the shift drum isn't a reliable grounding anymore.

Hope this helps.

SFW
post #9 of 9 Old 07-20-2014, 03:17 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFW View Post
Hi there,

This problem sounds exact like the one I had with my GIpro indicator.

The problem lies in the shift drum............... yes the shift drum !
The way GIpro works it's reading the walues from the gear position switch which is basiclly different resistor for each gear. The current runs from ECU throu the gear position switch but then grounds throu the shift drum.
Shift drum is a large metal part theat touches other metal parts and the resistance should be very low but then I messured mine with multimeter it was all over the place.... jumping from 1 Ohm to few hundreds ohm, if you put some pressure on the shift drum like pressing on the shift lever then it shows reliable reading. Specially in higher gears the difference between gears becomes less so those gears are more affected to be displayed wrong.
My theory is that oil deposits act like an insulator and the shift drum isn't a reliable grounding anymore.

Hope this helps.

SFW
You have a bad gear Position switch and not a bad shift drum. The ecu doesn't get grounded by a drum, it gets grounded by a gear position sensor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in