Gen 2: 2006-2007 Getting head work done, Ti retainer advice pls. - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 09-24-2012, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Getting head work done, Ti retainer advice pls.

So i dropped my bike off at Porttech the other day. Ive heard lots of good things about this guy so i feel pretty comfortable having him do the head work. We talked for 15 minutes or so when i dropped the bike off and he said he did not like putting Ti valve spring retainers in which is the total opposite of everything ive heard. Ive heard that Kawi put Ti in the 07 model because they were stronger but Bill the guy building my head said that though they are stronger, its strange, they get the hole in the center beveled out, grinded or pounded out, cant remember how he put it, after time and the stock ones wont do that. I told him i was trusting his build as he lives and breathes drag racing and has done TONS of engine builds. I just told him to go with what he knows works and what he has used in the past that works. He let me know with a little grin that my build was nothing crazy and that he's done tons of them like this and not to worry. He's a really reputable builder so like i said i feel i can trust him and in the end he knows a hell of a lot more than i do and has a shitload more experience. He talked like he already had the build mapped out in his head what he wanted to do and already knew exactly what cam timing he was going to use like he had already done it in his sleep that night. So what do you guys think? Think things will be ok without Ti spring retainers? Im having it ported, milled, thin HG, cam. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-24-2012, 09:46 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capncalyx View Post
So i dropped my bike off at Porttech the other day. Ive heard lots of good things about this guy so i feel pretty comfortable having him do the head work. We talked for 15 minutes or so when i dropped the bike off and he said he did not like putting Ti valve spring retainers in which is the total opposite of everything ive heard. Ive heard that Kawi put Ti in the 07 model because they were stronger but Bill the guy building my head said that though they are stronger, its strange, they get the hole in the center beveled out, grinded or pounded out, cant remember how he put it, after time and the stock ones wont do that. I told him i was trusting his build as he lives and breathes drag racing and has done TONS of engine builds. I just told him to go with what he knows works and what he has used in the past that works. He let me know with a little grin that my build was nothing crazy and that he's done tons of them like this and not to worry. He's a really reputable builder so like i said i feel i can trust him and in the end he knows a hell of a lot more than i do and has a shitload more experience. He talked like he already had the build mapped out in his head what he wanted to do and already knew exactly what cam timing he was going to use like he had already done it in his sleep that night. So what do you guys think? Think things will be ok without Ti spring retainers? Im having it ported, milled, thin HG, cam. Thanks
He's right, just put upgraded factory retainers and you're good to go
post #3 of 11 Old 09-24-2012, 10:58 AM
Slow Poke

Posting Frequency

:1: my buddy said the same thing. Although usually Ti is stronger they will wear out faster than stock. Stay with stock.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 09-24-2012, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Wow, shows wtf i know. I was dead set on Ti retainers. It was like my builer had been through this 10 times over. Its weird thinking that something thats stronger can get damaged easier or fail sooner.
I learnt knew stuff twoday Thanks guys.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-24-2012, 12:55 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Ti while stronger and more rigid. It is has bad wear properties. My brother has a Ti handled knife that he orginally has a mild rough finish and bufed it down to a silky smooth surface with sand paper from a model air plane finishing kit.

Another neat fact is they use in making diving knives because it doesn't corrode. They just up a carbide coating for the sharpened edge surface. It isn't magnetic either.

War is about killing people and breaking things. It ain't the olympics. Its not supposed to be fair. Tom Clancy

ialsodontknowwhynewpeoplecantseperatetheirthoghtss owecanreadthemitmakesitunweidlyandannoyingtryingto decipherwhattheyaretryingtosaysoiusuallyjustmoveon atleastyouusedpuncuationthoughsocongratsonthatbutm aybeinthefutureyoucanhelpusalloutbecauseyouoranyon eelsewillgetmorerepliesifyoudontwriteonebigrunonth atsimpossibletoread

Last edited by sam_b03; 09-24-2012 at 01:00 PM.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-24-2012, 02:37 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

The 08+ are the Heavy Duty design for stock retainers....aluminum.

Ti is harder and way stronger then aluminum....and alot more expensive.

So in my book, you could upgrade, but with the confidence of the HD stockers in mine, I saved the $$

2004 ZX10R-few mods here and there......
and even made more Evil by Woolich.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-24-2012, 02:45 PM
Pimp/Player

Posting Frequency

Wow I just had my head done by bill (hella cool guy to talk to and he know his stuff) he's been helping me build a new motor.

post #8 of 11 Old 09-24-2012, 02:56 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

just out of curiousity, whats gonna be the build cost if you dont mind me asking?
post #9 of 11 Old 09-25-2012, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Yea Bill is a totally cool and chill guy and i get the drift that he pretty much lives and breathes engine builds every day and then races as much as possible. The build is going to cost around 15-1700, ill just have to see how much when its all done. That is me dropping off a fully faired bike to him, him pulling motor, etc.. He also found me a lightly used Kawi race cam to throw in there. Not sure how typical that cost is but from what ive heard about Bill, it sounds like a good deal to me considering all the work that will be done and having someone as experienced as him working on the bike and to bounce ideas off of. Its killing me to drop that much dough on headwork alone but i think the bike should be a blast by the time i get it home and put the other goodies on it. Bill will also be throwing on a Brocks dual UT megaphone full system i just bought to help it breathe better.
What did you have done Ripped? Like the results? Guess you mailed him your head? I guess he's always going to the airport to ship/recieve engines and parts.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-25-2012, 02:13 PM
Pimp/Player

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capncalyx View Post
What did you have done Ripped? Like the results? Guess you mailed him your head? I guess he's always going to the airport to ship/recieve engines and parts.
Yeah I sent him the head, I should be getting the head back any day now, he finished it on Friday. I'm gonna send him my motor once I get back some other parts. I sent him the kibble white spring kit, so he installed that and port/polish. I have the kit cam, Carrillo rods, wossner pistons, 1,2 tranny with first gear mod, so when I get the tranny back I'm shipping it out to him. PM me when you get a chance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in