General Gasket Question - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 07-07-2010, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Question General Gasket Question

Does one need to replace a gasket (for example for the oil pan) if one just removes it and puts it back on. No damage. 2009 ZX10R by the way, and a pain to get to cause of the exhaust pipes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-07-2010, 07:20 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

replace or not

fine to reuse if in good cond.
post #3 of 14 Old 07-07-2010, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazx10 View Post
fine to reuse if in good cond.
sweet thanx!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 07-07-2010, 08:32 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I have never broken a seal on my bike but rubber gaskets are easier to reuse than cork.

War is about killing people and breaking things. It ain't the olympics. Its not supposed to be fair. Tom Clancy

ialsodontknowwhynewpeoplecantseperatetheirthoghtss owecanreadthemitmakesitunweidlyandannoyingtryingto decipherwhattheyaretryingtosaysoiusuallyjustmoveon atleastyouusedpuncuationthoughsocongratsonthatbutm aybeinthefutureyoucanhelpusalloutbecauseyouoranyon eelsewillgetmorerepliesifyoudontwriteonebigrunonth atsimpossibletoread
post #5 of 14 Old 07-07-2010, 08:37 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I try to make a habit of not reusing paper gaskets. I am not sure what material the oil pan gasket is, but if a paper gasket gets saturated at any point it will be suspect to leak. I wouldn't risk trying to reuse a gasket that seals oil, especially that low on the motor.

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
HST

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!" HST
post #6 of 14 Old 07-08-2010, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Type of gasket

I think it's a metal gasket. Does that sound nuts? I'm pretty sure it's a metal gasket.

I've put the pant back together, and when my clutch cover comes in and I seal up the engine again and dump in some new oil I'll update and let you all know if the pan gasket held up.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Except for covers with rubber gaskets or o-rings that are meant to be taken off and replaced frequently for routine maintenance, I always replace the gaskets. It really sucks to put it all back together and have a leak.

Green '04
post #8 of 14 Old 07-08-2010, 11:12 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

gaskets

composition gaskets are fine to reuse also if in good cond. and cleaned properly. they dont start leaking just because you removed them. removing and installing covers carefully is the key. even a lightly damaged composition gasket can be reused with certain sealers, also with certain sealers u dont even need a gasket and it will not leak! btw, there are no paper or cork gaskets on ur 10, and yes both would saturate and leak. most leaks are our fault, not the gaskets.

Last edited by gazx10; 07-08-2010 at 11:42 AM.
post #9 of 14 Old 07-08-2010, 01:54 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Why bother. For the few dollars having piece of mind that you have a new gasket in there as opposed to spending another couple hours to change it if it happens to leak. Time is money. Gasket is less then $50 while your time is priceless. Every single gasket if I remove I replace with a new one. But that 's just my opinion.

2005 ZX10R Track Bike With Way To Much Sh*t On It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #10 of 14 Old 07-08-2010, 04:00 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiryder89 View Post
Why bother. For the few dollars having piece of mind that you have a new gasket in there as opposed to spending another couple hours to change it if it happens to leak. Time is money. Gasket is less then $50 while your time is priceless. Every single gasket if I remove I replace with a new one. But that 's just my opinion.

Really, Even with rubber gaskets that stand a chance of working (compressing right), I don't know (well I do know paper/cork is a one shot deal) what the casket condition will be, before the job is started.

So having the gaskets needed before the job starts, is just the way.
Anyone want to take the extra time to get a needed gasket, when they find out a gasket isn't going to make it a second time? Wow that's so expensive and time consuming...it's just off the chart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in