Gen2 brakes. Long Lever Pull? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 10-08-2007, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Gen2 brakes. Long Lever Pull?

Anyone else with a Gen2 have a long lever travel until the brakes engage? Ive noticed the first inch or more of pull does nothing. Once past that part they work and grab fine...just a long initial pull to get to that point.

I know braided lines are nice, as are EBC pads as i have used them a dozen times on different machines. But; that does not change the "pull" that im talking about.

Its the free travel im concerned with. My pads are in almost new condition so i know overly worn pads are not the issue.

Anyone else got this issue or a fix? This is my first radial master...does it have an adjuster for this or something? No not the clicker on the lever.:headshake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 10-08-2007, 02:55 PM

Posting Frequency

What is your adjustment set at on your break handle?
post #3 of 32 Old 10-08-2007, 03:02 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

yup been hashed over for a couple yrs now along with the 'fade' topic and remedies for both include but not limited to a new aftermarket radial pump of your choice, a good thourough bleed of the system a couple times.

BD

Those who stir the shit pot should have to lick the spoon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 10-08-2007, 03:29 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Same issue here. SS lines, multiple bleeds, and piston lube didn't resolve it my satisfaction. The Nissin upgrade from the ZX-14/ZX-6 fixed it permanently, however.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #5 of 32 Old 10-08-2007, 03:36 PM

Posting Frequency

oh, well yeah.

i didn't hear him mention racing or track days, so i wasn't thinking about all that stuff. mine has a long pull normally, but after about 1 inch (maybe less) the braking starts and i don't have any problems with the braking. at least for street riding.
post #6 of 32 Old 10-09-2007, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

The performance of the brakes is great. They have lots of power so i know there is no air in the lines. Just long travel.
post #7 of 32 Old 10-09-2007, 01:19 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Yep!
Got the same issue. General feel is not good.
I just bought a set of calipers and master,and gonna get some HEL lines soon, and Fed. pads.
That better fix'em up.
post #8 of 32 Old 10-09-2007, 01:22 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
Same issue here. SS lines, multiple bleeds, and piston lube didn't resolve it my satisfaction. The Nissin upgrade from the ZX-14/ZX-6 fixed it permanently, however.

my ZX-14 caliper are in the mail...canM't wait to put those one and fix this problem for good!
post #9 of 32 Old 10-09-2007, 01:53 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Yep, a characteristic of the 10R. Steel lines help a lot with the fading. The long pull, I think, is just the way the stock master cylinder is designed. A new, non-stock, MC would "fix" that.
post #10 of 32 Old 10-09-2007, 01:55 PM
???
BANNED

Posting Frequency

yes this has been posted over and over again and for some reason the mods will not accept that the cailpers are junk or gen 1 and gen 2 bikes... they always want everyone to throw 100s of dollors on new pads, lines and mastercyc but it doesn't help.

just now, are you starting to see people beliving its the calipers that are flawed. if you take a light and look down into the calipers while pulling the lever, you will see the pistons move but since they are pulled to far back in the bores, and you have made lever traval. cleaning and lubing the shit out of pistons makes them work right for a short time, but then they start sticking again.

true fading from hard race days is not what this is about. for some reason people want to stick their in the ground rather than hear anything bad about their bikes. for me... doesn't matter if its mine or not... junk is junk in my book, if anything I'm pissed a spent my money on junk and would want to warn others not too... but here its over look all the bad for the few good things.

pisses me off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in