Gen 4: 2011-2015 Gen 4 zx10r intake camshaft sprocket off by 1 tooth - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By michael4012

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 08-19-2019, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Gen 4 zx10r intake camshaft sprocket off by 1 tooth

Oh man sometimes I'm so dumb... jeeze.

When I re-installed the camshafts, the intake sprocket jumped one tooth on the timing chain before I got the chain tensioner re-installed. So at 1-4 TDC, the exhaust cam sprocket mark was level with the top of the head , but the intake sprocket mark was approx 3/16" above the top pf the head. I turned the engine over by hand a few times before I noticed the issue. Could a valve have hit the piston and gotten bent while turning the engine over by hand? Nothing felt unusual as I turned it over by hand but that probably doesn't mean much.

I'm going to do a leak down test later today. I assume that a bent valve would show as low compression on the leak down but this is the first time I've messed with anything with titanium valves so I'm not sure how to diagnose whether or not I may have bent a valve.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-19-2019, 09:51 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Unlikely to have caused damage, presuming you didn't force the engine around, your markings on the sprocket tell me your cams are undialled and you retarded by 1 not advanced by 1 if it had been the other way depending on deck height you may get ptv but again unless you force it around its unlikely you will have caused damage.
gaz likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-19-2019, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Thanks for your response Michael. Just to be clear, I did rotate the crank by hand several times. I didn't feel any unusual resistance but I don't have enough experience with these engines yet to know if I still may have bent a valve without noticing something out of the ordinary while rotating the crankshaft.

I forgot to mention before that the camshaft bolts were in the standard round holes of the OEM sprockets as shown in the service manual; not in the slotted holes.

If I bent a valve do you think that low compression in a leakdown test would be a good indicator?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-19-2019, 12:29 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I'm no pro like michael4012 or gaz but if you didn't feel anything un-ordinary while spinning it over by hand I think you'd be fine. I'd re-do the cam timing and then if you wanted to for peace of mind you could do a leakdown. If the valve bent or wasn't sealing, you'd see and be able to hear the air on whatever port the valve isn't sealing on.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-19-2019, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Leakdown across all cylinders looks good... 2% or so. I would guess that very little air is getting by the piston rings because I put a light coat of oil on the cylinder walls before I reinstalled the head.

Is there any way that a leak-down test can show good numbers even if a valve is bent?

Can I reduce my self-induced drama and relax? :-)

Mike
post #6 of 9 Old 08-19-2019, 12:45 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Getting the timing off is one of my bigger fears and have a trick for eliminating that issue. I've done a few valve adjustments on my bike and learned that you don't even have to take the camshafts out of replace shims. I zip tie the crap out of the cam gears, crankshaft gear and timing chain. To be more specific, I use 2 zip ties on each camshaft gear and lock the camshaft gear and timing chain together before removing the camshaft caps. I also use multiple zip ties to lock the crankshaft gear and timing chain together. After removing the camshaft caps to free the camshafts, I replace shims by simply tilting the free camshaft a little out of the way while it's still attached to the chain with the zip ties.

2013 ABS, Bridgestone T30 Evo, Woolich, Danmoto shorty & link, Rifleman's 1/5th turn, K&N, GP shift, Gen5 shock/links/dogbone, geared (-1/+0), Shorai, EBC HH, AllBallz roller steering, Ohlins NIX30, Lightech adjusters. Bestem carbon. 50,000km+ and good so far.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-19-2019, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Yup I've done the same thing with zip ties when doing the valve lash adjustment. Works great.

For this current 'project' the head had to be removed so I did the cam timing from scratch and for some odd reason didn't think about using zip ties for reassembly Then, after the one-tooth-skip fiasco, I used zip ties to keep the chain on the sprocket. That worked but I could see that as I torqued the cam caps down the chain really wanted to move. At least in my case, I really needed the zip ties.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-19-2019, 02:09 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcescher View Post
Leakdown across all cylinders looks good... 2% or so. I would guess that very little air is getting by the piston rings because I put a light coat of oil on the cylinder walls before I reinstalled the head.

Is there any way that a leak-down test can show good numbers even if a valve is bent?

Can I reduce my self-induced drama and relax? :-)

Mike
Mate honestly you have nothing to worry about! As i mentioned before you quoted the position of the sprockets i knew then they were in the round holes and you had retarded by a tooth that is the safe side, really unless you had serious head deck with thin gasket your not going to get PTV honestly bro as long as now there in the correct teeth and your timing marks now line up you have nothing to worry about. yes if you had a bent valve and or damaged seat resulting from piston to head it would be leaking like a 2 stroke!! To bend those valves by hand you would have for sure felt firm solid resistance and you would have had to force the engine round.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-19-2019, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Thanks for taking the time to comment Michael. Much appreciated. I feel better now ha ha :-)

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in