Gen 4 gearing question for track use - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old 12-19-2014, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Gen 4 gearing question for track use

So I am setting up my 2011 ZX10R primarily for track use. Stock gearing is 17 front 39 rear. I'm looking for some informed opinions on good gearing for the track. -1 in the front for sure but how much up in the back. My 05 GSXR1000 was geared waaaaaay to tall. I ended up going -2 front +3 rear on that bike. I was thinking +2 to +4 in the rear on the ZX. Or -2 front +2 rear. Anyone who has messed with this on the ZX10R please let me know what you settled on. The tracks I normally ride are Thunderhill, Laguna, Infineon, Buttonwillow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 12-19-2014, 12:59 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
There is no "one" gearing combination that suits all tracks. If you're serious about racing or heavily invested in trackdays, then the gearing will change per track depending on the straightaways or where you fall in between gears for certain corners.

Frankly, I'm happy as a clam with just +2 on the rear. Anything more than that and it will be a handful trying to keep the front down powering out of the lower speed/lower gear corners. As it stands, I can loft the front end under throttle in 5th gear cresting some of the meager "hills" here in Florida. -1F/+2R to me seems like it would be waaaayyyy too short on the gearing, let alone any of the combinations you mention.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #3 of 38 Old 12-19-2014, 01:06 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I did +3 on the rear and have been happy with the result. The Gen 4 has weak midrange the change really helped corner exit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 Old 12-19-2014, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
There is no "one" gearing combination that suits all tracks. If you're serious about racing or heavily invested in trackdays, then the gearing will change per track depending on the straightaways or where you fall in between gears for certain corners.

Frankly, I'm happy as a clam with just +2 on the rear. Anything more than that and it will be a handful trying to keep the front down powering out of the lower speed/lower gear corners. As it stands, I can loft the front end under throttle in 5th gear cresting some of the meager "hills" here in Florida. -1F/+2R to me seems like it would be waaaayyyy too short on the gearing, let alone any of the combinations you mention.

Thanks for the track gearing seminar (sarcasm implied). I'm not looking for the one size fits all gearing. All bikes are different when it comes to gear ratios and stock sprockets. My track bike was an 05 gsxr1000 for the last 5 years and I had to gear the living daylights out of it in several stages. I would like to skip a lot of that trial and error this time. I have no experience with Kawasaki so I'm looking for what others are running on the track so that I can make an informed decision on what might work best for me. And honestly +2 in the rear only doesn't sound like much of a change from stock gearing for track use. Do you even see 6th gear on an average sized track with a change like that or is your setup for the street. And it's supposed to loft the front wheel over hills. It's a liter bike after all.
post #5 of 38 Old 12-19-2014, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechX View Post
I did +3 on the rear and have been happy with the result. The Gen 4 has weak midrange the change really helped corner exit.
Just to clarify are you saying +3 rear only or -1 front and +3 rear.
post #6 of 38 Old 12-19-2014, 04:19 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Most track guys are happy with -1 +2 anything more will be handfull imo.

05 ZX-10R SWB.
post #7 of 38 Old 12-19-2014, 04:20 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

The questions are many. But YOUR question shows that you have no idea what you're doing. The reason us teachers ask students to ask questions is to evaluate their level of ignorance so that I can adjust my future lesson plans accordingly. Sorry, but you have to learn how to ride somehow. Then the light will brighten as to the appropriate questions. Superbike classes or just take track classes or take pridmore classes or just crack the books and apply what you learn.

And look at your response to Sky. omg, so full of self inflated importance.

go to track day. Buy all kinds of stuff. A 12 year old on a 250 will humiliate you. Dang little predators. How do I know? Hint: I wasn't on my g4 or any super. LOL! Sorry, had to laugh!

Last edited by scout; 12-19-2014 at 04:24 PM.
post #8 of 38 Old 12-19-2014, 04:46 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokulea View Post
Just to clarify are you saying +3 rear only or -1 front and +3 rear.
Just the rear no front sprocket change. It gets almost to redline in 6th on the 7/8 of a mile at Miller Motorsports Park. One of the longest straights of any track. 170 mph indicated on the speedo.
post #9 of 38 Old 12-19-2014, 04:52 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
The questions are many. But YOUR question shows that you have no idea what you're doing. The reason us teachers ask students to ask questions is to evaluate their level of ignorance so that I can adjust my future lesson plans accordingly. Sorry, but you have to learn how to ride somehow. Then the light will brighten as to the appropriate questions. Superbike classes or just take track classes or take pridmore classes or just crack the books and apply what you learn.

And look at your response to Sky. omg, so full of self inflated importance.

go to track day. Buy all kinds of stuff. A 12 year old on a 250 will humiliate you. Dang little predators. How do I know? Hint: I wasn't on my g4 or any super. LOL! Sorry, had to laugh!

Back on topic...-1 for sure, I started with -1/+3 and was happy at that track. Unless the track is very fast try to avoid using 6th gear.

What track are you riding, maybe someone has a bit of info. Also your pace will dictate what gearing you'll use so what works for me may not work for you.
post #10 of 38 Old 12-19-2014, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechX View Post
Just the rear no front sprocket change. It gets almost to redline in 6th on the 7/8 of a mile at Miller Motorsports Park. One of the longest straights of any track. 170 mph indicated on the speedo.
Cool. I went to miller a few years ago and that is a pretty long straightaway. Nothing I'm riding locally has a straight that long, but that really helps by giving me a good baseline. Thanks very much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in