Gen 3 swing arm on a Gen 2? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 05-29-2011, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Gen 3 swing arm on a Gen 2?

Of course anything is possible with the right amount of money/resources but is this a practical swap? Putting a Gen3 swing arm on a Gen2? If so, what parts are needed to make this work?

Here are my concerns. I cracked my swing arm and need a new one. I am also at the point where I am SICK AND TIRED of the rear fender being small and useless and am ready to spend $100 on a bigger rear fender to catch the crap a fender is supposed to grab to keep off my bike. The Gen3 swing arm has a fender thats worth of being called a fender... it actually wraps some of the tire. Also, I need to extend my swing arm so I am looking to go 4-8"

I can either buy an extended swing arm for a Gen3 here on the FS section for $400 bucks and buy a few other parts to make it work? If so, what parts will I need to price this out? Modifications to ge2 to fit?

Or

Buy a used Gen2 swingarm, send it out to be stretched, (looking at $600 alone already) then buy a bigger fender for about $100.

So the difference is spend the $700 bucks or Spend $400 and HOPEFULLY maybe a hundered in misc parts to make the Gen3 swing arm work. Not sure how the brake caliper bracket would bolt up, if the main bolt for rear tire would fit, if stock exhaust undertail would cause clearance issues, if the location of rear sprocket will be in or out in referene to the front sprocket causing chain not to line up straight?

Please help me out ASAP! Looking to do this now so I can get my bike back on the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-29-2011, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

So I found 1 bike with the swap and I PMd him with my questions. From everything I have read, the stock Gen2 exhaust will not fit. No big deal! I like asses naked anyways ;)

But Anyone with info regarding caliper mounting options and exhaust options, please post up. I am sure with a little metal fab, I could get away with using an 04-05 exhaust and a custom connection pipe.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-02-2011, 01:33 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

ever find out any more info? im wondering the same thing and i have a brocks alienhead exhaust so not to worried about the exhaust.. who has done the swap that u spoke to

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 06-02-2011, 03:03 AM
Late Apex

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10sander View Post
ever find out any more info? im wondering the same thing and i have a brocks alienhead exhaust so not to worried about the exhaust.. who has done the swap that u spoke to
Hey zx10sander , you a ruff ryder ? I see ya sportin the "R". They are a huge chapter . I am quite certain your feedback lies in its ranks. Provided you pass the wire.

________________Grip It And Rip It_________________
post #5 of 12 Old 06-02-2011, 04:30 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

"I am quite certain your feedback lies in its ranks. Provided you pass the wire." im confused sorry. and actually im not a ruffryder right now. i turned my vest in because i was in the police academy and i didnt have the time to do all the events and it wouldnt of been fair to be a member and not show up to any of the events. i am going to get back in now tho..

anybody have info on this swap i've been searching but no luck

post #6 of 12 Old 06-02-2011, 05:25 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
I knew I had a link...been done, believe its just about direct bolt on.
https://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=75740
https://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=66575
...should help you out...iknow ive seen 3 on here...check out the red/black bike

also I have heard 08 exhaust fits(check edoubles threads) and the Akro evo from a 04-05 will fit, again was told direct fit from a forum member..but i chose not to try the gen1 exhaust...goood luck!

ride or die!::weed :

Last edited by diesel10R; 06-02-2011 at 05:29 PM. Reason: new link
post #7 of 12 Old 06-02-2011, 07:49 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

thanks diesel i will be reading both of those tonight while at work.. i have a brocks alienhead so im good on exhaust sounds great

post #8 of 12 Old 06-02-2011, 09:23 PM
Late Apex

Posting Frequency

Quote:
"I am quite certain your feedback lies in its ranks. Provided you pass the wire." im confused sorry. and actually im not a ruffryder right now. i turned my vest in because i was in the police academy and i didnt have the time to do all the events and it wouldnt of been fair to be a member and not show up to any of the events. i am going to get back in now tho..

anybody have info on this swap i've been searching but no luck
I meant Ruff Ryders is HUGE . Big club. You cant tell me there isnt a few zx10's stretched . I know they like busa's . I guess I figured with a riding group that large they have plugins everywhere. I had a friend iin full tilt who lives in seattle . Dude told me they dont get any work done at any dealership . You just put the word out and ya trade for work and bring the parts. Sometimes the parts are available as well ..

post #9 of 12 Old 06-02-2011, 10:04 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

that is true they are very willing to help eachother.. its a good organization.

post #10 of 12 Old 06-03-2011, 02:46 AM
Late Apex

Posting Frequency

Quote:
that is true they are very willing to help eachother.. its a good organization.
I would join one but they are way too active plus the rules for the big organizations are really strict ... I get alot of tickets cause to be honest . i dont ever look at my speedo ... But Ruff Ryders is very reputable and just wearing the patch means your a good dude.. they are bound by a pretty strong chain of command

Just ask around ..If you have problems finding the parts gimme a hollar .. I have a prettty strong network of friends in the WERRA and WMRRA . I know tons of people who have wrecked bikes on shelves in their storage units just in case they need em..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in