Gen 2: 2006-2007 Gen 3 Cylinder head - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By michael4012

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 04-09-2019, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Gen 3 Cylinder head

Hello all, sorry if this has been asked and answered.

I have a gen 2 and the problem I have right now is I believe the previous owner cross threaded cylinder 1's spark plug threads. So they got spark plug in fine and it ran good when I bought it but I recently put in new spark plugs and discovered the issue. The main problem with this is the bike runs and seems to idle okay but rough at times but the spark plug starts to back out because it is not properly threaded in and starts to run rough at low RPM's. Yes I could have a time-sert put in and would probably be okay but I am interested in any knowledge you guys have of putting a gen 3 head on a gen 2 short block. I want to know some pros, cons and everything you would replace if you were doing it. Maybe this is a stupid idea but I have only heard of this, hence why I am asking the forum for their opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-09-2019, 01:16 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Direct answer is yes, no issues what so ever using a G3 head on a G2 block. Its a straight swap same cam shaft position sensor, thermostat and housing, temperature sensor, bolts straight in place same head gasket same top cover. The question is what do you do with the bike and how much do you want spend while doing it have you already got a G3 head if so how complete is it??? The cams are interchangeable although the G3 cams are better, the G3 has smaller exhaust valves (advantage) the inlet valves are the same size but titanium (advantage) the springs in the G3 head are softer as the valves weigh less (advantage) the pentroof in the G3 head is better (higher compression & better flow)
Capncalyx likes this.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-10-2019, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

No I do not have a g3 head yet but I would be buying one pretty much complete with cams, valves, springs ect. My plans are to obviously replace parts if they need to be be, but I will keep the g3 cams, valves springs and seats & retainers. Not going to do anything aftermarket on those but a port and polish on the intake side and probably polish the combustion chamber area to keep air flow smooth and combustion even. Then I would do all ARP hardware and make sure everything checks out with it like if the valves seal properly and hold pressure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cylinder head

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in