Gen 2 and Gen 1 brakes... - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 08-23-2008, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Gen 2 and Gen 1 brakes...

I just did my brakes on my 07 with the ZX14 calipers, and it exceeds my expectations (I already had a Brembo master, and I used HH pads). Why didn't you guys say something about this sooner

I searched regarding a similar swap for a Gen 1, and it appeared to me you could/can make the same swap, but that you will need to shim it. Did I read that correctly???

Thanks, Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-23-2008, 05:21 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sike View Post
I just did my brakes on my 07 with the ZX14 calipers, and it exceeds my expectations (I already had a Brembo master, and I used HH pads). Why didn't you guys say something about this sooner
cuz we like guinea pigs

Quote:
I searched regarding a similar swap for a Gen 1, and it appeared to me you could/can make the same swap, but that you will need to shim it. Did I read that correctly???
No sir you didn't. the zx6r, zx14 and concours 14 Nissin cals are a direct bolt on with no shim required.

BD

post #3 of 12 Old 08-23-2008, 07:42 PM
Gun Owning Republican

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to Ervins
Your 07 is that much better after a caliper swap...Tell me it is like you just got a brand new bike...I was riding all day smiling still and it has been almost two months since my 1000RR brake swap...

I have Vesrah pads, SS Lines, and a Brembo 19x20 billet as well and it is a superb combo to have with real calipers.

I too wish people said something earlier before I got the Brembo.

BTW thanks BD for the Vesrah tip!

2006 ZX-10R SOLD, 2005 KX250F, and 2007 YZ85
and a Ton of Guns
I will never own a Honda again.

www.ema-usa.com
Motorcycle Parts and Accessories
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 08-23-2008, 07:57 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

I'm searching for some zx14 calipers myself... i thought my brakes were "okay" with just SS lines on stock MC+calipers, but I did one trackday. A few sessions of braking at 125mph really fucked my brakes. So what's a good price to pay for some used ebay zx14/zx6 calipers and MC?

Also... if i get zx14 MC and calipers, what SS brake lines should i get? I think zx14 lines would be too short (cuz zx14 sits lower)? Would zx6r 07+ lines fit a zx14 MC + calipers?
post #5 of 12 Old 08-23-2008, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseHeadNinja View Post
I'm searching for some zx14 calipers myself... i thought my brakes were "okay" with just SS lines on stock MC+calipers, but I did one trackday. A few sessions of braking at 125mph really fucked my brakes. So what's a good price to pay for some used ebay zx14/zx6 calipers and MC?

Also... if i get zx14 MC and calipers, what SS brake lines should i get? I think zx14 lines would be too short (cuz zx14 sits lower)? Would zx6r 07+ lines fit a zx14 MC + calipers?
Being a little older, I have lost my patience for trying to find deals (it was more fun when I was younger, plus I had more time). So, I just had my dealer order them for me (I think a reasonable price of $199 each). I already had Spiegler lines, and they were a little tiny bit long, because the attachment point on the new calipers is a bit higher.

Good Luck, and it is REALLY worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve
post #6 of 12 Old 08-23-2008, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

[QUOTE=Ervins;1023030]Your 07 is that much better after a caliper swap...QUOTE]

It is truly amazing to me. I have ridden the new 1098 and the new MV (both of which I think have amazing brakes), and I would put my (our) 10 in with them. I was able to move my lever in several notches and with two fingers I have to be gentle (I did several one finger stops). All street riding, but I'm sure it will be amazing on the track.

Later, Steve
post #7 of 12 Old 08-23-2008, 08:40 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...spagenameZWDVW

Bmc filter, Hels Braided Brake lines, Nissin ZX14 Calipers, Brembo, RCS19 M/C, Ohlins damper,Fender Eliminator, Puig screen, Smoke Integrated taillight, Green front indicator lens's, Mirror block plates, Gauge Mod, Vortex rear sets, Personalized # Plate, Pazzo levers, 1/5th Throttle insert, H.I.D Headlights 5000k, Seat cowl, Gen 3 Swingarm, Titanium exhaust hanger , Racefit Growler ,GIpro TRE , Michelin pilot pures, -1 front sprocket, PCIII, SpeedoHealer v4, Factory Pro V Stacks
post #8 of 12 Old 08-23-2008, 08:53 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

You just did that now?? I thought you had your bike dialed in already! congrats on the upgrade, made a huuuuge imo. I used the 14 calipers too :)
post #9 of 12 Old 08-23-2008, 08:58 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

is $300 a good price?

Also, if I get the MC, do i need the brake lever as well or will my current one work?
post #10 of 12 Old 08-23-2008, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandensDogs View Post
You just did that now?? I thought you had your bike dialed in already! congrats on the upgrade, made a huuuuge imo. I used the 14 calipers too :)
The suspension has been totally dialed in since winter (Penske/Linderman), the power since last summer (Seattle Cycle Center custom map), but I have been fighting the brakes for a year. Braided lines since day one (didn't make much difference). HH pads last summer. Still not good enough. Brembo billet radial master over the winter. Still, just wasn't great, but was a lot better. Then, in June did another trackday and wasn't happy (latter found out the line from my reservior had split and that is why the day kept getting worse....
So, finally got my calipers and it is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Later, Steve
BTW--- Brent and Thomas took great care of my baby.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in