Gen 1: Whirring noise - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 07-11-2012, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Gen 1: Whirring noise

Can anyone tell me if they have experienced this noise.? What it could be Usually is happening at steady cruise. 40 to 50 miles an hour. Then again at 75 to 80. Been looking at a few archive threads and some have said it could be the front sprocket? or flywheel or clutch bearing? maybe wheel bearings? I have been ignoring it but its annoying the hell out of me now.

The sound is not a constant steady noise it seems like its every other revolution at steady cruise. I pull in the clutch at cruise and it goes away.

Cruising above 80 its harder to hear but pretty loud at 75 to 80 for sure.

anyone any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-18-2012, 07:41 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

My 05 has done that since day 1 at 72MPH and i have seen a few others do it as well, Its a resonating in the transmission seems to me normal and should not cause any problems,

High Velocity Cycles 2005 Ti ZX10R
Greeensboro NC
post #3 of 12 Old 07-18-2012, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Okay cool!! Thanks bugman!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 07-29-2012, 01:33 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Skype™ to bhoffco
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezerburn View Post
Can anyone tell me if they have experienced this noise.? What it could be Usually is happening at steady cruise. 40 to 50 miles an hour. Then again at 75 to 80. Been looking at a few archive threads and some have said it could be the front sprocket? or flywheel or clutch bearing? maybe wheel bearings? I have been ignoring it but its annoying the hell out of me now.

The sound is not a constant steady noise it seems like its every other revolution at steady cruise. I pull in the clutch at cruise and it goes away.

Cruising above 80 its harder to hear but pretty loud at 75 to 80 for sure.

anyone any thoughts?
I have this same issue on my 2007.

The noise is kind of like a turbine or whirrr noise and seems to be loudest at a steady pace when throttle is required to maintain speed.

It is definatley a drive train or trans noise. Very annoying.

I used to only hear it when on steep moutain grades with a passenger but now it happens alot with 25k miles.

I recently changed my sprockets to -1 + 1 and it is more noticable now. It is almost a harmonic noise at 80 mph.

No loss in performance however. I have to resolve it but am not sure where to start.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-30-2012, 02:38 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

on my 05, I did a complete rebuild at 3k miles and it was there before and after and everything in the trans was to spec. Its just nature of the beast. I'm sure what the OP and mine are doing is the same thing.

I'm not so sure bhoffco has the same problem that sounds more like a worn chain. Did you replace the chain with the sprockets?

High Velocity Cycles 2005 Ti ZX10R
Greeensboro NC
post #6 of 12 Old 07-30-2012, 03:33 AM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugman53 View Post
on my 05, I did a complete rebuild at 3k miles and it was there before and after and everything in the trans was to spec. Its just nature of the beast. I'm sure what the OP and mine are doing is the same thing.

I'm not so sure bhoffco has the same problem that sounds more like a worn chain. Did you replace the chain with the sprockets?
Another thing it could be for bhoffco is the front sprocket. Depends on what brand. I just threw a 16T Renthal on mine and it makes a bit more of a pronounced noise.

My 05 makes the same sound you guys hear too. Almost sounds like a combination of what you would imagine the chain sounds like spinning at high speed and a forced induction motor. I think its the trans and the ram air.

08 ZX6R Radial M/C ZG Sport Touring Windscreen CBR600RR Calipers BMC Street Filter
GP Shift Pattern DIY Mod Fender Eliminator Kit 16/44 Gearing Euro Flushmount Signals
Gauge Cluster Color DIY ModSoupy's Fully Adjustable Lowering Links HEL Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
post #7 of 12 Old 07-30-2012, 08:43 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Same with my '05. Keep riding!
post #8 of 12 Old 07-30-2012, 01:14 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

My 05 makes the exact same noise, if she's running good I wouldn't even worry about it. My 600rr made a very similar noise as well.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-30-2012, 02:19 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

My 04 too I drives my crazy I keep thinking my motor is hurt.

Tone.R {checkmate}
Do what makes u happy whatever it is.....Roberson Racing
post #10 of 12 Old 07-30-2012, 09:17 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Skype™ to bhoffco
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugman53 View Post

The chain was replaced along with the sprockets. I also thought the chain could be too tight but it is adjusted properly.

I am pretty sure it is being caused by something spinning. Probably a bushing or bearing somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in