Gen 1: 2004-2005 Gear Position Switch - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 09-12-2012, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Gear Position Switch

I have a GiPro installed in my 05 ZX-10R and for a long time the 5th and 6th gears was not indicated correctly.
I tested all stuff and noticed that the voltage coming from the GP Switch is irregular and take sometime to reach correct levels at 5th and 6th so replaced the GP switch and.... Same dawn problem! :headshake
Someone have similar problem? Any suggestions or solution
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-12-2012, 09:42 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Mine does the same thing, 5 and 6 suck. I was going to replace my gp switch too but maybe now I won't??? Kinda disappointed in the GIpro for that.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-12-2012, 10:43 PM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Yes the 5th and 6th gear voltages are so close way less than a volt I think about .4vdc but get very close sometimes.

I built my own gear indicator many years ago so use to monitor it real good to see how it varies, I even created a adjusting pot to keep the window tight if it varies for the 5th to 6th gear.....right now without adjusting anything if mine registers 6th gear it's really in 6th gear sometimes the display will flicker between both but that means it's in 6th gear works really good for me.

Also the shift linkage if loose and vibrating throws the voltage off too make sure nothing is loose down there.....and try to reprogram may have to do it a few times Healtech support can give you even more ideas of the best way to program.

bloo

Sent from My Computer via DSL mid to low service Firefox updated version, sometimes wireless sometimes Wire from the garage depending on connection speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 09-17-2012, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

The new GP had a central connector that's the Gen 1 won't have.
I'm trying to figure what this central pad does to replicate in Gen 1, maybe this is the solution...

post #5 of 11 Old 09-30-2012, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

I tried everything, just quit with GiPro!
There are any DECENT gear indicator for the GEN1?
post #6 of 11 Old 09-30-2012, 08:21 PM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirity View Post
I tried everything, just quit with GiPro!
There are any DECENT gear indicator for the GEN1?
Well the one I made in the past don't have any extras right now, you get some flicker at times when the voltages get to close like vibration but it's really like a Real Time voltage meter and shows REAL TIME Gear stages but in a Gear LED display.

bloo

Sent from My Computer via DSL mid to low service Firefox updated version, sometimes wireless sometimes Wire from the garage depending on connection speed.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-01-2012, 07:48 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

The problem is not with the GIpro gear indicater. The problem is the transmission drum is poorly grounded, especially in 5th and 6th gear. I had the exact same problem with mine. I did extensive testing and found that to be the problem. I built a spring loaded ground strap that I installed behind the clutch basket that would ride against the shift drum pins. Problem solved. The Gipro worked perfectly 100% of the time. Mike.
post #8 of 11 Old 10-01-2012, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by 880turbo View Post
The problem is not with the GIpro gear indicater. The problem is the transmission drum is poorly grounded, especially in 5th and 6th gear. I had the exact same problem with mine. I did extensive testing and found that to be the problem. I built a spring loaded ground strap that I installed behind the clutch basket that would ride against the shift drum pins. Problem solved. The Gipro worked perfectly 100% of the time. Mike.
Can you draw, take a picture or try to explain how can I ground mine too???
post #9 of 11 Old 10-01-2012, 01:30 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil View Post
Well the one I made in the past don't have any extras right now, you get some flicker at times when the voltages get to close like vibration but it's really like a Real Time voltage meter and shows REAL TIME Gear stages but in a Gear LED display.

bloo
How to?!?!

post #10 of 11 Old 10-02-2012, 08:05 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I am assuming that the extra contact on the newer gear indicater switch is a ground. Most likely Kawasaki realised that they had an inconsistent ground. To properly ground the early shift drums, you just need a flexible piece of metal that you can mount to the engine case beneath a bolt, and then it rides against the 6 round pins on the end of the shift drum. I just used a thin switch contact from a pinball machine, but anything that contacts electricity easily, will work. Mike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in