Gasket question - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 02-25-2005, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Gasket question

Hi all,

I have a question for everyone who has done full system header installations. In the past on other bikes, I always installed a NEW gasket between the cylinder head and the header pipe. I felt like it was a good idea to possibly prevent having to take the whole thing apart again and fix a gas leak up there (especially on this bike where the fit is pretty tight).

I have noticed that along with NO REAL DIRECTIONS, these new full systems do not come with new gaskets. I ordered some new gaskets for the ZX10 (@ $5.00 each x 4), and now have them available to install when I do my header installation.

Did any of you guys do this? If so or if not, why? If you did, how difficult was it to remove the old gaskets. They are a copper sandwich type ring that fits on the face of the header pipe.

Thanks in advance for your opinions...

Take care,

JJ

2012 black ZX10R, Targa F/E, Graves Ti slip-on & Ivan's wire mod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-25-2005, 09:32 PM

Posting Frequency

Well depends upon what kind of shape your gaskets are in. I usually install aftermarket pipe as soon as I get the bike so the factory ones are always in good shape. I really don't think you need to change them unless they are in rough condition.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-25-2005, 10:04 PM
SP8
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I always use new gaskets. They are not hard to remove. You should be able to pop them out with your finger. The new gaskets will not want to stay in the exhaust ports. The way to fix that is easy. Take some petroleum jelly, and spread a little on the the gaskets. This will make them sticky, and they will stay in the ports while you fit your headers on. The heat from the engine will evaporate the little petroleum jelly you put on.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-25-2005, 10:07 PM
Green Hippie

Posting Frequency

If you have trouble getting the old gasket out a dental pick works nice I also put new gaskets in every time. Too much shiot to take back off if it leaks.

VAE VICTUS!

RIP James R Patterson 6/3/30-5/26/09
post #5 of 10 Old 02-26-2005, 07:39 PM

Posting Frequency

I always put new gaskets on. There is never a perfect fit between the header and head, and after the gasket crushes once, it may not have enough "give" to seal the next time.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-26-2005, 10:58 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

everytime I don't put new gaskets in I get a leak and then piss and moan for a week waiting for the gaskets to show. I don't really like this additional step and the service manuals never covers it (how to do a job twice that is)
post #7 of 10 Old 02-27-2005, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies. I will be putting the new ones in. I have always done it that way too, I was just curious with this ZX since I hadn't read anything about it on this site. I really believe it's money and time well spent, to not have to mess with it in the near future...lots of panels and other crap to move!

SP8; good tip about the PJ to hold them in place while mounting the pipe. I may give that a try..

Thanks again everyone,

JJ

2012 black ZX10R, Targa F/E, Graves Ti slip-on & Ivan's wire mod.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-27-2005, 12:07 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP8
I always use new gaskets. They are not hard to remove. You should be able to pop them out with your finger. The new gaskets will not want to stay in the exhaust ports. The way to fix that is easy. Take some petroleum jelly, and spread a little on the the gaskets. This will make them sticky, and they will stay in the ports while you fit your headers on. The heat from the engine will evaporate the little petroleum jelly you put on.
Yup +1 but i use strawberry jelly instead actually i use a small bit of silicone.

BD

Those who stir the shit pot should have to lick the spoon.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-27-2005, 01:50 PM

Posting Frequency

YUP I break out the K Y myself and lube it up and then I slide it in
post #10 of 10 Old 02-27-2005, 02:02 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

TMI :headshake

BD

Those who stir the shit pot should have to lick the spoon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in