Full system vs stock gutted headers?? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 05-24-2011, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Full system vs stock gutted headers??

Good morning all,
Where are the real gains made in a full system the header itself or in the can. Looking at a 2nd gen header that is made of titanium and light as hell if you get rid of the cat, servo etc and put a decent slip on it how would that compare to a full system in terms of whp??? I know you would have an increase in overall pipe diameter coming from the head back but how much does the header itself produce in whp??

thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-24-2011, 06:24 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke2012 View Post
Good morning all,
Where are the real gains made in a full system the header itself or in the can. Looking at a 2nd gen header that is made of titanium and light as hell if you get rid of the cat, servo etc and put a decent slip on it how would that compare to a full system in terms of whp??? I know you would have an increase in overall pipe diameter coming from the head back but how much does the header itself produce in whp??

thanks in advance
Unless your racing, from what I understand a full system isnt worth the $$$. I think it s been mentioned on here many times that the headers for the 2nd gen are pretty damn good themselves, and getting a cat delete pipe and a good slip on pipe will be pretty damn close to 'full system' results at a fraction of the cost

Faster than a drunk snail on valium!

07 zx10r- stolen
New bike...07 GSXR1000..BMC filter, LOR slip on, 520 conversion with -1, speedohealer, pc3 custom map with xtre settings, Galfer superbike lines front, galfer sportbike line rear, shorty levers, Yami R1 throttle tube for 1/5 throttle, PAIR mod, exhaust valve gone, ecu flashed.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-24-2011, 07:04 AM
Newfie Bullet

Posting Frequency

Garage
Forgetting the money issue I personally liked the difference..On my gen 2 b4 I sold it I made 154 and change with an unmapped slip on..With a mapped beet I got a hair over 165 and most of it was twards top end but added a lil more mid to..Depending on pipe design that's what determines where the power is made.4 into 1like the old dayd was all top end but nowa days most are 4 into 2 into 1 or 4 into 1 into 2 as in the gen 2..Advantages of ti over ss is cooling and weight..Oh ti is usually about 500 more over ss..

Team green,Bleed green,RIDE GREEN!!

Brembo m/c,Nassert Beet,HEL lines,Pazzo levers,HID kit,custom monster paint scheme..Thanks to forum member horse for that..Woolich raceing kit,Elka rear shock and front fork pistons,Green samco coolant hose kit,Zero gravity dbbl smoked screen,520 conversion,attack rear sets,bmc race air filter,Monster zx6 front seat,moto graffix tank pad,feredo pads,galpher lite weight rear rotor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-24-2011, 07:39 AM
BANNED

Posting Frequency

the diameter of the primary tubes determines where the pick torque, 2nd gen header is about 1 and a half inches in diameter which is good for surepick torque to be produced around 10k rpm. The only downfall is it connects cyl 1 and 2, 3 and 4. 1 to 4 and 2 to 3 would be better. 4 to 1 header would also fit zx10r crazy top power band with 1.6 inches in diameter primary tubes with length of 19 inches instead of stock 21 inches. You would lose some bottom end, but the top end would be wicked (drag racers would benefit ). It's all trade off like everything in life.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-24-2011, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

i appreciate the feedback fellas!!
post #6 of 9 Old 05-24-2011, 08:56 PM
Newfie Bullet

Posting Frequency

Garage
Did the gen 2 even have ti headers?? If my memory is correct they didnt,i know my g3 dont..piss me off..

Team green,Bleed green,RIDE GREEN!!

Brembo m/c,Nassert Beet,HEL lines,Pazzo levers,HID kit,custom monster paint scheme..Thanks to forum member horse for that..Woolich raceing kit,Elka rear shock and front fork pistons,Green samco coolant hose kit,Zero gravity dbbl smoked screen,520 conversion,attack rear sets,bmc race air filter,Monster zx6 front seat,moto graffix tank pad,feredo pads,galpher lite weight rear rotor.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-24-2011, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_sez View Post
Did the gen 2 even have ti headers?? If my memory is correct they didnt,i know my g3 dont..piss me off..
yeah they did, i actually had one sitting in my garage and picked it up thinking it was the header for my 3rd gen that i had apart...thats when i noticed the weight difference:headshake...the third gen stainless steel stock header, WITH a gutted cat weighed 13lbs, the stock second gen with a bypas pipe 6lbs..(trying to get as much wieght as possible off my bike)

...so thats when i started thinking about all this. The second gen header bolted right up,
post #8 of 9 Old 05-25-2011, 01:34 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

the same question i've had for a while...except instead of a slip-on, i have the A&R baffles, sound pretty good and still at a fraction of the price for dual slip ons...combine that with the servo delete and cat delete....i'm happy with it.

People often mistake my patience for laziness.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-25-2011, 09:31 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

A full system will almost always be better than the stock with a slip-on. But you also have to have some way to tune the motor to accommodate the reduced back pressure and deal with the freer flow of exhaust. But if you just want some nice sound then use the stock pipe with a slip on...much cheaper.

If you gotta ask you can't afford it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in