Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

Kawasaki ZX-10R.net (https://www.zx-10r.net/forum/)
-   Performance and Tech (https://www.zx-10r.net/forum/f28/)
-   -   Fuel Pump? (https://www.zx-10r.net/forum/f28/fuel-pump-352743.html)

wheelz96 05-21-2019 06:16 PM

Fuel Pump?

So I just ran my 2018 ZX10R off track this weekend. I laid the bike down gently in the sand and broke nothing except my ego.

The bike started back up and I ran two more laps before being summoned to pit back in. At the end of the 2nd lap right before I pit in the bike made a loud clicking noise that I think was my fuel pump running dry. I shut the bike off immediately and coasted in. I never did get the bike to restart. When the key is turned on with switch in OFF position then put switch in ON position I do not hear the fuel pump priming. Bike will crank for a quick second and thats it. No fuel.

I haven't unloaded my trailer yet but is this a fuel pump or could it be a short in the switch itself? Would a crash cause it to burn the pump up if ran empty?

RoninZX10R 05-21-2019 10:12 PM

I don't have one of the current model ZX-10R's, but would the tip over switch be affecting the bikes inability to start? This could be something to look at to make sure it's not causing issues.

Neonmarine 05-22-2019 05:36 AM

Yeah, my pump went out on the dyno last time at KWS. I'd see if it's something electrical first but don't be surprised if its the pump. Got a Busa pump in it now, not sure if it was a drop in replacement but Mike at KWS knows his stuff. Might not hurt to give them a call or swing by if you're in the Charleston area.

realpsi 05-22-2019 07:41 AM

Your problem reads like an interlock/electrical issue and not a fuel pump problem. Gen 4 here, but when my fuel pump doesn't even attempt to prime with key on - it is kill switch, kickstand down in gear, tip over, in gear clutch not in.

wheelz96 05-22-2019 11:33 AM

Tip over was first thing I checked at track and tested with volt meter all good. I have a jumper plug for kickstand(removed) switch and that tested OK. I will take actual switch apart first then follow wire back to pump. Strange it happened after running two laps before I heard the pump run dry.

Neonmarine 05-22-2019 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wheelz96 (Post 4482993)
Tip over was first thing I checked at track and tested with volt meter all good. I have a jumper plug for kickstand(removed) switch and that tested OK. I will take actual switch apart first then follow wire back to pump. Strange it happened after running two laps before I heard the pump run dry.

Are you sure it was the pump sound you heard? Did you not have enough fuel?

realpsi 05-22-2019 03:13 PM

You should be able to get to the plug for the fuel pump and check voltage there. Also, I bet there is a fuse for the pump.

wheelz96 05-22-2019 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neonmarine (Post 4483001)
Are you sure it was the pump sound you heard? Did you not have enough fuel?

Well I suppose I'm not positive but a fuel pump that runs dry has a very distinct sound and considering it doesn't work or prime anymore I am fairly certain that this is whats going on. It's either the circuit to the fuel pump or the pump itself. I will take it apart one day this week and find out.

P.S. Tank was almost full. It was only lap 2 :(

michael4012 05-22-2019 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wheelz96 (Post 4483007)
Well I suppose I'm not positive but a fuel pump that runs dry has a very distinct sound and considering it doesn't work or prime anymore I am fairly certain that this is whats going on. It's either the circuit to the fuel pump or the pump itself. I will take it apart one day this week and find out.

P.S. Tank was almost full. It was only lap 2 :(

Is the pump getting power? Have you put a meter on it?