Gen 1: 2004-2005 Fuel Filter mod - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 05-31-2011, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Fuel Filter mod

So I was bored over the long weekend and decided to hack open the spare fuel pump housing I had to see what it was all about. My plan is to buy a small high flow filter to replace the housing and an aftermarket regulator to control fuel pressure.

What I found is the fuel goes in thru the fuel sock, then thru the pump, then up into the black (or white for second gens) housing, down into an actual fuel filter, then up towards the outlet. In the path where the outlet is, the fuel pressure regulator controls how much pressure builds up in the lines to the injectors.

I thought long and hard about what I was doing and why and came to the conclusion that it works fine for 99% of the bikes out there including mine.

BUT, I want a filter that I feel comfortable with and a regulator that can handle the flow of the aftermarket pump.

Plus its a mod. 75% of mods are just because you can...

05 Z1000 - Traded
05 ZX12R - Stolen
04 ZX10R - Going to be sold soon. New bully on the block!
13 ZX10R - Getting abused...

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-31-2011, 01:32 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Dude, you are Crazi. Good info though!
post #3 of 4 Old 08-30-2011, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Ok so this isn't going exactly as planned... Been thinking about this for a while now and decided to throw it out and see if anyone had any ideas...

I got all the parts in and they are alot bigger than I was expecting. I bought the smallest highflow fuel filter (http://www.holley.com/162-550.asp) I could find and thought the regulator would be smaller (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PFS-10686/) but its not...

So the new plan is to put the Fuel Filter outside the tank in the feed line and then find a way to put the new FP regulator inside the tank (after setting the pressure). This way, I don't have to plumb a return line into the tank for the vented fuel.

Looking at the plate where the fuel pump is mounted, it looks like there is just enough room if I had to run a return but would like to avoid this if possible...

Also thought about have a new plate made where the fuel pump is mounted but then, that creates a problem getting power and the fuel level sensor in and out of the tank.

I am open to ideas here...

05 Z1000 - Traded
05 ZX12R - Stolen

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-06-2012, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Just got done installing everything. Took the new pump housing to my local shop and had them do the return fitting.

So took everything apart and stared at it for about an hour before I realized that I had exactly enough space in the battery tray (once I moved my LiFePo4 battery a little) to mount the regulator and fuel filter and to have the lines routed in a decent way. Only problems I have now is the return line is bent at a really sharp angle and there is nothing to stop the flow from the return port to take the tank off. Ordered a check valve to take care of that tho.

Finished up too late to go for a ride, just in case something doesn't work as planned. But need to double check fuel pressure and then get it tuned again. I set the fuel pressure about 47-50 using air but not sure how that relates to fuel. I would assume pressure is pressure but better safe than sorry.

I should have gotten some pictures. But I have to go back in to check fuel pressure so I can snap some then. Its really hard to see anything based on where the system ended up but I'll take some anyway.

05 Z1000 - Traded
05 ZX12R - Stolen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in