Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

front sprocket question...

1K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  zx10Duran 
#1 ·
i have a 16t z1000 front sprocket and stock rear.

the sprocket and chain have about 2500 miles on them.

i am going to replace the chain and rear sprocket up a couple teeth.

question is...do i need to replace the front sprocket also due to have a little wear on it. my friend was telling me you need to replace both sprockets and chain all at the same time so it wears even. is he correct?

another question about the front sprocket. i was thinking about going to a 520 conversion, but i dont like a lot of noise. the z1000 front has the rubber buffer around it that keeps it quiet. how much louder would just a standard steel front sprocket be? is there a big difference in chain noise, or is it something barely noticable?

thanks

#2 ·
"I" replace "steel" streetbike sprockets according to wear.

There is some noise from the front sprocket without the rubber sides reguardless if it's 520, 525, or 530. I only notice it when rolling the bike in neutral. Otherwise it's really not noticeable. IMO

#3 ·
i don't think you should have any problems with the z1000 front sprocket.. don't really see the need to replace it if it's not worn.. the manual shows what to look for.. but it is mainly if the teeth are really sharp pointed or twisted to one side then it needs replaced. i have heard that the 520 conversion "wears out" quicker due to not being beefy enough to handle the power..

#4 ·
You will be fine not replacing the front sproket; 2500 is no miles... I do need to replace mine 20,000 miles and now the chain is kinking bounce up and down when spinning.

I did the 520 on my 05 636 and was noticebaly quicker acceleration and less rotational mass for quick left and right turns that said... My chain rusted and I craked the chain.

The performance is nice from the 520 but I think it's gonna wear fast on a 1000... Going up a few teeth in the rear is gonna make the bike quick anyway...

#5 ·
yea, if your staying with the same size chain i would leave the front sprocket alone if it doesnt need changing.

#6 ·
I would use that 525 z1000 sprocket with your old sprocket and chain. 2500 miles isnt shit.

#7 ·
This is a rather loaded question because..it involves what is wear, how is it detected, what does it do.

And what is the price paid, on what happens to your chain and rear sprockets life?

Thing is, if you had higher mileage, jump out and bite you visable wear, on the front sprocket, it would be a clear cut, slam dunk, no two ways about it issue.

Problem is, say .003 (thousands of an inch) wear is not seeable, but to the chain it is shifting load bearing progressively away .003 -.006 -.009 -.012 with each tooth engaged. This over loads the chain roller, hastens the chains getting "stretched", stretched chain hastens the wear on the new sprocket.

Lotta Yammering to say....go with your friends suggestion, Your just talkin the price of a front sprocket.

Gives You all New, correct parts working, together. :thumbsup:

#9 ·
Change it all the same time...If you got a 16 ft whats the rear,41?? If you add more teeth on the back it will do nothin but wheelie..If you make any gear changes from stock,get a speedo healer too..That will make yer speedo and mileage closer to legit #'s.
Stay 525..The fella that sez he noticed the difference in accerlation goin from 525 to a 520,,its in his head..He was correct in sayin there is less rotational mass but not enough that yer seat dyno will feel..Changeing gear ratios,yer azz will feel that..

#10 ·
The fella that sez he noticed the difference in accerlation goin from 525 to a 520,,its in his head..He was correct in sayin there is less rotational mass but not enough that yer seat dyno will feel..Changeing gear ratios,yer azz will feel that..
:+1: acutally just rode my bike for the first time last night with a new 16t sprocket and speedo healer.. you actually "feel" like your going slower if your used to the exhaust noise because your rpms are higher at a given speed.. but my god man.. hugh difference in low end grunt.. as it should be.. my setup is 16/40

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.