front brake wafers? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 08-01-2005, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to Brandon
front brake wafers?

anyone remove these things behind the pads? any harm in doing so? im slapping some supercorsas on tomorrow and could pull them out while i have things apart. the brakes suck on the 10 compared to an R1 BTW

im heading to the track in a week, so if my rotors are going to warp from removing them, then ill leave the little fuckers there!

the braided lines did help a bit :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-01-2005, 07:54 PM
PostWhore

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to GuitarPlyr
most of the guys that remove them say they experience improved feel.....i removed mine the same time i put on new lines, so i cant comment....havent had anything negative from it
post #3 of 11 Old 08-01-2005, 10:05 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Sounds weird, but this makes a huge difference.

I removed the shims and made no other changes soon after purchasing the bike and noticed an immediate improvement to the front breaking.

Dress for the slide & not the ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 08-02-2005, 12:36 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

If they have no negative effect by removing them, and they make a positive effect when removing them why put them in there in the first place?

Once i thought more than two strokes was masturbation. Now I realise that 4 feel better, and who am I to argue with my feelings.

05 Black/white road/track zx-10r. Race fairings with stock headlight custom blinkers, Brembo MC, HEL braided lines, Toby dampner, Mustard Block-off plates, plugged airbox, Mustard Heel guards, Mustard Ram-air tube support, custom flip-up rear fender eliminator, custom rear fender, custom seat cowl, corsa 111's.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-02-2005, 07:25 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

They are either the anti rattle clips or they are there to keep the pistons from biting into the actual backside of the pads. I took my anti rattle clips off as they keep the pistons from being able to release like they should.

A trick one of the mechanic friends showed me is to pump the pistons all the way out and clean around the piston and get the brake dust off of them, then push them in just enough to get the pads in and on the rotors without having to pump the system all the way back up. I did this on mine and noticed and pretty distinct improvement on my brake feel.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-02-2005, 07:54 AM

Posting Frequency

cleaning the pistons should be done annually as sneaky said
post #7 of 11 Old 08-02-2005, 10:45 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

yanked mine when replacing lines...the wafers had been rumored to be for cooling or noise reduction...never sure what they really are for, sorry...

for the track, the mastercylinder will heat up and fade as the internals are not machined accuratley enough and cause oil blowby when warm...

most guys are going to a brembo replacement...as well as new lines and pads...

will replace mine (MC) in the spring...

BTW try a search there are lots of threads on this subject...
post #8 of 11 Old 08-02-2005, 05:40 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

latdrop is right. The clips are the last thing to worry about. I am so disappointed in the 10s brakes. I took the clips out. Then I got Galfer lines and Motul fluid. Then I tried Ferodo pads. On the street or before the brakes get hot, the changes made the brakes better, but nothing kept the brakes from getting mushy after 2-3 sessions on the track. I'll be getting the brembo mc this winter. Hopefully that will work or I will have to buy a new gixxer.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-02-2005, 07:55 PM
MIA Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky
I took my anti rattle clips off as they keep the pistons from being able to release like they should.
Really? With the bike on a front stand the wheel turns more freely w/o the clips?? You are referring to the ones that are "on top" of the pads that the retaining pin goes through right?

Anyone see a negative to trying this? Just some additional noise?

If it'll reduce drag w/o a negative performance side affect mine will be out tonight!

2011 Ninja 1K street
2004 636 track
post #10 of 11 Old 08-03-2005, 03:14 AM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

Miykl i had mine out along with the wafer shims but after giving it some thought i reinstalled them due to the pads ability to rock back and forth inside the caliper easier therefore having a 'potential' to elongate the pad fitment area over time/miles so in the end the pads would become rather noisy and the caliper possibly ruined.

BD

Those who stir the shit pot should have to lick the spoon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in